old K6 for emu machine

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I am trying to overclock my old K6 (NOT K6-2, as in no 3D-NOW) as much
as possible to use it for an emu machine and to record TV shows w/ the
TV tuner card. The stock speed is 300 MHz and it's one of the new
(well, relatively) .25 micron K6 chips. First, would you recommend
lapping the heat spreader, which is definitely not too flat? Second,
it works at 338, POSTs and boots into Windows at 375 when there's a
good layer of Arctic Silver, but crashes before getting to the desktop
w/o Arctic Silver. The heatsink is never really that hot. With the
arctic silver, it takes a while to start making errors on my
overclocking tests. Does this sound like I need more volts or more
cooling?

Lastly, since I am really not that worried about frying this POS, I
tried raising the volts to 2.8, the next higher setting on my board
after 2.2. Doesn't POST, but isn't fried-works again when I put it
back down. Any ideas why it wouldn't POST at 2.8?

Daveman750 wrote:

> I am trying to overclock my old K6 (NOT K6-2, as in no 3D-NOW) as much
> as possible to use it for an emu machine and to record TV shows w/ the
> TV tuner card.

You're going to need lots of disk space because the K6 is not going to be
fast enough to do any significant encoding on the fly no matter how much of
an overclock you manage; unless you have a separate hardware MPEG encoder.

> The stock speed is 300 MHz and it's one of the new
> (well, relatively) .25 micron K6 chips. First, would you recommend
> lapping the heat spreader, which is definitely not too flat?

Might help a little.

> Second,
> it works at 338, POSTs and boots into Windows at 375 when there's a
> good layer of Arctic Silver, but crashes before getting to the desktop
> w/o Arctic Silver.

I don't know what you mean by "good layer." What you want is the minimum
amount that will just fill the micro gaps.

What do you mean by "w/o Arctic Silver?" Nothing?

> The heatsink is never really that hot. With the
> arctic silver, it takes a while to start making errors on my
> overclocking tests. Does this sound like I need more volts or more
> cooling?

It sounds like the heat isn't getting TO the heatsink. Perhaps too much
thermal compound.

> Lastly, since I am really not that worried about frying this POS, I
> tried raising the volts to 2.8, the next higher setting on my board
> after 2.2. Doesn't POST, but isn't fried-works again when I put it
> back down. Any ideas why it wouldn't POST at 2.8?

2.8 is too high.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Voltage too high? And I don't think you will be able to digitize and
record tv without a hell of a hardware digitizer/compressor; your CPU is
not only slow, but has non of the extra instructions that are especially
useful for streaming media. And then there is the question about how big
and how fast your hard drive is.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Daveman750 wrote:
>
> > I am trying to overclock my old K6 (NOT K6-2, as in no 3D-NOW) as much
> > as possible to use it for an emu machine and to record TV shows w/ the
> > TV tuner card.
>
> You're going to need lots of disk space because the K6 is not going to be
> fast enough to do any significant encoding on the fly no matter how much
of
> an overclock you manage; unless you have a separate hardware MPEG encoder.

I had a K6-2 450 (the "newer" ones with CTX core) and an ATI All-In-Wonder
128. I can record TV on it Ok but it was impossible to have it encode even
Mpeg1 on the fly. Everything was done in AVI and I have to encode them
later, needless to say with a 8GB disk at that time storage was running out
after 1 hour of recording, which was actually fine for most shows.

I ran Ultra-HLE (the N64 emu) with a 3dfx voodoo 2 card, and it was SLOW. I
think the FPU was only as fast as a Pentium MMX 233, but it was OK for
running Quake 2 with the 3dfx driver and 3dnow quake2 exe. SNES 9x ran ok
and only slows down sometimes. I could not get Bleem (PS emu) to work at
all.

I heard people running K6-2 and K6-3 at 2.8v no prob, not because they want
to but because they were using old socket 7 (not super socket 7) mobos that
only supply 2.8 or 3.3 vcore , but I have never tried it myself, fearing
that it will ruin my shiny new K6-2 (back then)

FSAA wrote:

> "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
>
>>Daveman750 wrote:
>>

>>>I am trying to overclock my old K6 (NOT K6-2, as in no 3D-NOW) as much
>>>as possible to use it for an emu machine and to record TV shows w/ the
>>>TV tuner card.
>>
>>You're going to need lots of disk space because the K6 is not going to be
>>fast enough to do any significant encoding on the fly no matter how much
>
> of
>
>>an overclock you manage; unless you have a separate hardware MPEG encoder.
>>

> I had a K6-2 450 (the "newer" ones with CTX core) and an ATI All-In-Wonder
> 128. I can record TV on it Ok but it was impossible to have it encode even
> Mpeg1 on the fly. Everything was done in AVI and I have to encode them
> later, needless to say with a 8GB disk at that time storage was running out
> after 1 hour of recording, which was actually fine for most shows.

Yes. The two big surprises one discovers when they first try video
recording are just how HUGE raw video is and how much processing power it
takes to encode.

> I ran Ultra-HLE (the N64 emu) with a 3dfx voodoo 2 card, and it was SLOW. I
> think the FPU was only as fast as a Pentium MMX 233, but it was OK for
> running Quake 2 with the 3dfx driver and 3dnow quake2 exe. SNES 9x ran ok
> and only slows down sometimes. I could not get Bleem (PS emu) to work at
> all.

The Atari800Win emu will run 100% speed on my mobile P-II 300 so I'm sure
your K6-2 450 could handle it.

> I heard people running K6-2 and K6-3 at 2.8v no prob, not because they want
> to but because they were using old socket 7 (not super socket 7) mobos that
> only supply 2.8 or 3.3 vcore , but I have never tried it myself, fearing
> that it will ruin my shiny new K6-2 (back then)

I overclocked a CTX core with 2.8 volts and it was glorious for the hour or
so it survived.

Moot point really since his isn't a CTX core and it won't post at 2.8 volts.

Alan

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> newegg has a 500 k62 for $16 postpaid.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-166&depa=1

the 500s are worse still for overclocking
whatever i did with my 500 i could not get to even 533 mhs with it...

K62's are even worse at overclocking then Palmoninos are... and the
palmonino my mate got me to overclock went about as far as the rust bucket
round the corner!

"Alan" <agoodm@removebtopenworld.com> wrote in message

> K62's are even worse at overclocking then Palmoninos are...

I got my K6-2 350 running stable at 450Mhz (4.5 X 100) with 2.8v going
across it. :p

Daveman750 wrote:

> I am trying to overclock my old K6 (NOT K6-2, as in no 3D-NOW) as much
> as possible to use it for an emu machine and to record TV shows w/ the
> TV tuner card. The stock speed is 300 MHz and it's one of the new
> (well, relatively) .25 micron K6 chips. First, would you recommend
> lapping the heat spreader, which is definitely not too flat?

Start lapping.... it's a labor of love and it'll really help to level the
spreader, which as you noted are ever, ever flat.

> Second,
> it works at 338, POSTs and boots into Windows at 375 when there's a
> good layer of Arctic Silver, but crashes before getting to the desktop
> w/o Arctic Silver. The heatsink is never really that hot. With the
> arctic silver, it takes a while to start making errors on my
> overclocking tests. Does this sound like I need more volts or more
> cooling?

Whay more cooling!

It's been quite some time now that I've fooled with k6's. But they like to
be kept cool too. Everything you described above points to over heating.
Lap the dog out of the processor and then the heat sink.

Have fun.

> Lastly, since I am really not that worried about frying this POS, I
> tried raising the volts to 2.8, the next higher setting on my board
> after 2.2. Doesn't POST, but isn't fried-works again when I put it
> back down. Any ideas why it wouldn't POST at 2.8?

Instant over heating? Maybe it's not a valid vcc option?

Registered Linux User Number 185956
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing
html.
9:19am up 34 days, 10:32, 2 users, load average: 2.49, 2.48, 2.51

dick

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I beleave anything above a 266 mhz was a K6-2. CTX started with 350mhz but
you would be best off with a K6-3 450MHZ, mine ran at 622 on a FIC 503+ and
is still runing as a network
server in an ACE hardware store at 500.

"Daveman750" <dsimcha@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am trying to overclock my old K6 (NOT K6-2, as in no 3D-NOW) as much
> as possible to use it for an emu machine and to record TV shows w/ the
> TV tuner card. The stock speed is 300 MHz and it's one of the new
> (well, relatively) .25 micron K6 chips. First, would you recommend
> lapping the heat spreader, which is definitely not too flat? Second,
> it works at 338, POSTs and boots into Windows at 375 when there's a
> good layer of Arctic Silver, but crashes before getting to the desktop
> w/o Arctic Silver. The heatsink is never really that hot. With the
> arctic silver, it takes a while to start making errors on my
> overclocking tests. Does this sound like I need more volts or more
> cooling?
>
> Lastly, since I am really not that worried about frying this POS, I
> tried raising the volts to 2.8, the next higher setting on my board
> after 2.2. Doesn't POST, but isn't fried-works again when I put it
> back down. Any ideas why it wouldn't POST at 2.8?

---

dick wrote:
> I beleave anything above a 266 mhz was a K6-2.

There is a 300MHz 'plain' K6 too. They came in two core types: the lower
speed versions with 2.8V to 3.2V core and the 'model 7' .25 micron 2.2V core.

AMD-K6
Processor
Data Sheet
20695H/0—March 1998

21 Ordering Information

AMD-K6-233ANR 321-pin CPGA
3.1V–3.3V (Core)
3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
0°C–70°C
AMD-K6-200ALR 321-pin CPGA
2.755V–3.045V (Core)
3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
0°C–70°C
AMD-K6-166ALR 321-pin CPGA
2.755V–3.045V (Core)
3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
0°C–70°C

42 Ordering Information
Standard AMD-K6® Processor Model 7 Products

AMD-K6/300AFR 321-pin CPGA
2.1V–2.3V (Core)
3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
0°C–70°C
AMD-K6/266AFR 321-pin CPGA
2.1V–2.3V (Core)
3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
0°C–70°C
AMD-K6/233AFR 321-pin CPGA
2.1V–2.3V (Core)
3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
0°C–70°C
AMD-K6/200AFR 321-pin CPGA
2.1V–2.3V (Core)
3.135V–3.6V (I/O)
0°C–70°C

> CTX started with 350mhz but
> you would be best off with a K6-3 450MHZ, mine ran at 622 on a FIC 503+ and

You sure that isn't a K6-III+? Those are .18 micron (mobile) cores and will
do 600+ but the 'regular' K6-III were still .25 micron and the one I had
wouldn't go over 500.

> is still runing as a network
> server in an ACE hardware store at 500.
>
> "Daveman750" <dsimcha@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>I am trying to overclock my old K6 (NOT K6-2, as in no 3D-NOW) as much
>>as possible to use it for an emu machine and to record TV shows w/ the
>>TV tuner card. The stock speed is 300 MHz and it's one of the new
>>(well, relatively) .25 micron K6 chips. First, would you recommend
>>lapping the heat spreader, which is definitely not too flat? Second,
>>it works at 338, POSTs and boots into Windows at 375 when there's a
>>good layer of Arctic Silver, but crashes before getting to the desktop
>>w/o Arctic Silver. The heatsink is never really that hot. With the
>>arctic silver, it takes a while to start making errors on my
>>overclocking tests. Does this sound like I need more volts or more
>>cooling?
>>
>>Lastly, since I am really not that worried about frying this POS, I
>>tried raising the volts to 2.8, the next higher setting on my board
>>after 2.2. Doesn't POST, but isn't fried-works again when I put it
>>back down. Any ideas why it wouldn't POST at 2.8?
>

> ---

dick

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Yes, mine was a K6-III+ 450 @ 622 REPORTED but 5.5 X 112 MHZ FSB.
dick wrote:
> I beleave anything above a 266 mhz was a K6-2.
I stand corrected

> [...]

>>TV tuner card. The stock speed is 300 MHz and it's one of the new
>>(well, relatively) .25 micron K6 chips. First, would you recommend
>>lapping the heat spreader, which is definitely not too flat? Second,
>>it works at 338, POSTs and boots into Windows at 375 when there's a
>>good layer of Arctic Silver, but crashes before getting to the desktop
>>w/o Arctic Silver. The heatsink is never really that hot. With the
>>arctic silver, it takes a while to start making errors on my
>>overclocking tests. Does this sound like I need more volts or more
>>cooling?
>>
>>Lastly, since I am really not that worried about frying this POS, I
>>tried raising the volts to 2.8, the next higher setting on my board
>>after 2.2. Doesn't POST, but isn't fried-works again when I put it
>>back down. Any ideas why it wouldn't POST at 2.8?

---

dick wrote:
> Yes, mine was a K6-III+ 450 @ 622 REPORTED but 5.5 X 112 MHZ FSB.

Ah. Makes sense.

I asked because that would make a big difference if someone were looking to
buy one in anticipation of doing the same.