previously-working HD now hoses BIOS settings

Hi! Searched the forums, found similar problems but not quite exactly
the same.

I have an 80Gb Maxtor HD that I'd previously successfully used alone
and in a 2 disc jbod setup. I've had XP running on it successfully,
even had it partitioned out to run XP, Mandrake, and FreeBSD just for
kicks. I haven't made any hardware changes.

It's about 3 years old, and I'm hoping I can get some life out of it.
Recently (yet again) I got some corrupted XP files and had to do the
yet-again OS reinstall. This time however, no matter the configuration
(slave, master, alone or paired) it not only keeps the BIOS from
recognizing it, but also keeps the BIOS from recognizing ANY boot
device-- CDROM, Floppy, or Network. So I can't even reformat this
baby.

Strangely, it does the same thing when I attach it as a slave/secondary
drive to a HD with a working XP install. WIthout attached all's good,
but once it's plugged in the BIOS is completely wiped out. Again, this
HD used to work fine with all the hardware I'm using.

In the meantime I'm running an XP on a 4 Gb disc a decade old.

Anyone have an idea how I can get in to reformat this thing? Are there
jumper override settings besides master, slave, and cable select,
perhaps?

--
malrost
malrost's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=395

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Throw it out. There's a failure in the drive electronics.
--

"malrost" <malrost.1rijlz@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in message

> Hi! Searched the forums, found similar problems but not quite exactly
> the same.
>
> I have an 80Gb Maxtor HD that I'd previously successfully used alone
> and in a 2 disc jbod setup. I've had XP running on it successfully,
> even had it partitioned out to run XP, Mandrake, and FreeBSD just for
> kicks. I haven't made any hardware changes.
>
> It's about 3 years old, and I'm hoping I can get some life out of it.
> Recently (yet again) I got some corrupted XP files and had to do the
> yet-again OS reinstall. This time however, no matter the configuration
> (slave, master, alone or paired) it not only keeps the BIOS from
> recognizing it, but also keeps the BIOS from recognizing ANY boot
> device-- CDROM, Floppy, or Network. So I can't even reformat this
> baby.
>
> Strangely, it does the same thing when I attach it as a slave/secondary
> drive to a HD with a working XP install. WIthout attached all's good,
> but once it's plugged in the BIOS is completely wiped out. Again, this
> HD used to work fine with all the hardware I'm using.
>
> In the meantime I'm running an XP on a 4 Gb disc a decade old.
>
> Anyone have an idea how I can get in to reformat this thing? Are there
> jumper override settings besides master, slave, and cable select,
> perhaps?
>

> --
> malrost
> malrost's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/member.php?userid=395
> View this thread: http://www.highdots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1622511

All hardware devices that go bad "used to" work just fine.

I certainly hope you have any pertinent information backed up.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban