One portable HDD, two computers- how to coordinate drive n..

Benny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a large amount of mapping data on a portable USB hard disk. I use the
data with a desktop mapping program that is installed on two separate
computers. Can I get each computer to recognise the portable drive by the
same letter each time I plug it in? That way, I can permanently set the
mapping program preferences to look for data in that particular drive.
At present, the computers just seem to allocate any free drive letter to the
portable drive when it is connected.
--
Benny
*******

Sure can. Give it a drive letter at the end of the alphabet. My Seagate
drives are designated as drive X on any computer I attach them to.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Benny" <ple@se.reply.to.newsgroup.only> wrote in message
>I have a large amount of mapping data on a portable USB hard disk. I use
>the data with a desktop mapping program that is installed on two separate
>computers. Can I get each computer to recognise the portable drive by the
>same letter each time I plug it in? That way, I can permanently set the
>mapping program preferences to look for data in that particular drive.
> At present, the computers just seem to allocate any free drive letter to
> the portable drive when it is connected.
> --
> Benny
> *******

Benny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Richard (and other experts in this group)
At the risk of asking a silly question, how do I actually do this so the
computer recognises the portable drive each time it is attached? If I call
it X on one computer, then plug it via USB into another computer, is there
something in the directory of the portable drive that tells the second
computer- "aha, drive X is knocking at the door"? Or do I need to go through
some (as yet unknown to me) process on each computer?

--
Benny
*******
> Sure can. Give it a drive letter at the end of the alphabet. My Seagate
> drives are designated as drive X on any computer I attach them to.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Benny" <ple@se.reply.to.newsgroup.only> wrote in message
>>I have a large amount of mapping data on a portable USB hard disk. I use
>>the data with a desktop mapping program that is installed on two separate
>>computers. Can I get each computer to recognise the portable drive by the
>>same letter each time I plug it in? That way, I can permanently set the
>>mapping program preferences to look for data in that particular drive.
>> At present, the computers just seem to allocate any free drive letter to
>> the portable drive when it is connected.
>> --
>> Benny
>> *******

1. Go to Administrative tools | Disk Management. Right click on the drive
(after it has been initialized, of course). You will see an entry for change
drive letter. Change the drive letter to an unused letter near the end of
the alphabet. Reboot!

--

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 17:33:32 +1000, Benny wrote:

> Richard (and other experts in this group)
> At the risk of asking a silly question, how do I actually do this so the
> computer recognises the portable drive each time it is attached? If I call
> it X on one computer, then plug it via USB into another computer, is there
> something in the directory of the portable drive that tells the second
> computer- "aha, drive X is knocking at the door"? Or do I need to go through
> some (as yet unknown to me) process on each computer?

Benny, Richard has given you the steps for assigning the drive letter. Just
wanted to add: repeat the steps on the second machine. The drive's
designation will be remembered and used by the operating system of the PC
it is attached to - not by a notation made to the USB hard drive.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

!