Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Confusing temperature readings on FX-51

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 8, 2004 4:57:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I've just installed MSI Core Center Pro, to try and check my CPU temp from
within windows. Any other program I've tried reports CPU tems of 185
C....obviously wrong.
Core center reports a CPU temp of 33C and system temp of 41C, which sounds
to me like the wrong way round???
Can anyone recoomend a program that can accurately report the temp of the
CPU and save me having to reboot and go into the BIOS every time I want to
check....

Cheers
Jago

Athlon FX-51
MSI - 9130 (K8T800) mobo
2Gb RAM
GF FX5900U 256mb
440Gb SATA
Audigy 2 ZS
23" Iiyama



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2004 4:57:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

MBM5
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html

"Jago" <jago.titcomb@earthling.INVALIDnet> wrote in message
news:40753ee0_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> I've just installed MSI Core Center Pro, to try and check my CPU temp from
> within windows. Any other program I've tried reports CPU tems of 185
> C....obviously wrong.
> Core center reports a CPU temp of 33C and system temp of 41C, which sounds
> to me like the wrong way round???
> Can anyone recoomend a program that can accurately report the temp of the
> CPU and save me having to reboot and go into the BIOS every time I want
to
> check....
>
> Cheers
> Jago
>
> Athlon FX-51
> MSI - 9130 (K8T800) mobo
> 2Gb RAM
> GF FX5900U 256mb
> 440Gb SATA
> Audigy 2 ZS
> 23" Iiyama
>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.651 / Virus Database: 417 - Release Date: 4/5/2004
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2004 7:18:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

LBJGH wrote:
> MBM5
> http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html
>

MBM shows 78C in my A1800+ while BIOS tell's me that there's about 48,
so I wouldn't be so faithfull to anythin but some external hardware. Of
course it's impossible to check the core temp, but it may give you
aclue, which one is more accurate.

cheers
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2004 1:57:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Maciek K." <shyha@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
news:4075512A.50603@gazeta.pl...
> LBJGH wrote:
> > MBM5
> > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html
> >
>
> MBM shows 78C in my A1800+ while BIOS tell's me that there's about 48,
> so I wouldn't be so faithfull to anythin but some external hardware. Of
> course it's impossible to check the core temp, but it may give you
> aclue, which one is more accurate.
>
> cheers

You have mbm set incorrectly..
the data is all pulled from the same source..
April 9, 2004 7:56:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

With CnQ enabled my CPU temp is always lower then case temp, unless CPU
has a heavy load on it.

Ed

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 12:57:42 +0100, "Jago"
<jago.titcomb@earthling.INVALIDnet> wrote:

>I've just installed MSI Core Center Pro, to try and check my CPU temp from
>within windows. Any other program I've tried reports CPU tems of 185
>C....obviously wrong.
>Core center reports a CPU temp of 33C and system temp of 41C, which sounds
>to me like the wrong way round???
>Can anyone recoomend a program that can accurately report the temp of the
>CPU and save me having to reboot and go into the BIOS every time I want to
>check....
>
>Cheers
>Jago
>
>Athlon FX-51
>MSI - 9130 (K8T800) mobo
>2Gb RAM
>GF FX5900U 256mb
>440Gb SATA
>Audigy 2 ZS
>23" Iiyama
>
>
>
>---
>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
>
April 9, 2004 12:19:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Thanks for all the replies

So it seems that perhaps my CPU temp could be lower than my case temp,
they're currrently 32 and 39 which I assume is OK (PC just booted up, not
really doing anything strenuous)....After playing Far Cry yesterday the CPU
was at about 43 and the case temp was 50

jago

"Jago" <jago.titcomb@earthling.INVALIDnet> wrote in message
news:40753ee0_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> I've just installed MSI Core Center Pro, to try and check my CPU temp from
> within windows. Any other program I've tried reports CPU tems of 185
> C....obviously wrong.
> Core center reports a CPU temp of 33C and system temp of 41C, which sounds
> to me like the wrong way round???
> Can anyone recoomend a program that can accurately report the temp of the
> CPU and save me having to reboot and go into the BIOS every time I want
to
> check....
>
> Cheers
> Jago
>
> Athlon FX-51
> MSI - 9130 (K8T800) mobo
> 2Gb RAM
> GF FX5900U 256mb
> 440Gb SATA
> Audigy 2 ZS
> 23" Iiyama
>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2004 1:45:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

rstlne wrote:
> "Maciek K." <shyha@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
> news:4075512A.50603@gazeta.pl...
>
>>LBJGH wrote:
>>
>>>MBM5
>>>http://mbm.livewiredev.com/download.html
>>>
>>
>>MBM shows 78C in my A1800+ while BIOS tell's me that there's about 48,
>>so I wouldn't be so faithfull to anythin but some external hardware. Of
>>course it's impossible to check the core temp, but it may give you
>>aclue, which one is more accurate.
>>
>>cheers
>
>
> You have mbm set incorrectly..
> the data is all pulled from the same source..
>
>

Yeah, I know that, but why the case temp is the same, but cpu's has the
difference? This is strange for me, but I didn't found something to
'scale' the meter... but wait? scale to what? what is the 'source of
truth'? hmmm.... I found MBM quite useless for me....
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 9, 2004 7:33:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Jago wrote:

> I've just installed MSI Core Center Pro, to try and check my CPU temp from
> within windows. Any other program I've tried reports CPU tems of 185
> C....obviously wrong.
> Core center reports a CPU temp of 33C and system temp of 41C, which sounds
> to me like the wrong way round???
> Can anyone recoomend a program that can accurately report the temp of the
> CPU and save me having to reboot and go into the BIOS every time I want to
> check....
>
> Cheers
> Jago
>
> Athlon FX-51
> MSI - 9130 (K8T800) mobo
> 2Gb RAM
> GF FX5900U 256mb
> 440Gb SATA
> Audigy 2 ZS
> 23" Iiyama
>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
>
>
Sounds to me like you need to spend a few bucks and install a case
fan. I have a side fan and a rear fan in my AMD64 and it is cool man
cool! :-)
April 9, 2004 8:04:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

No measuring device is accurate unless it has been calibrated. You are
limited to what you can do with motherherboard and CPU sensors but there
are a few things. Here's are a few ideas.

1. Install WPCRSET from http://www.h-oda.com/ . This halts your CPU at idle
and reduces the temp to near case temperature.
2. Install an external thermometer with a probe in the middle of the case. A
Radio Shack indoor/outdoor thermometer is OK. You could also invest in a
case mounted monitor with a CPU probe instead.
3. Install Motherboard Monitor 5
4. Determine which sensor is which in MBM5. There is some help on their
website. The CPU thermal diode temp will jump eratically with CPU load. The
CPU socket sensor will rise slowly. The case temp won't change too much.
5. Let the system stay idle for an hour or so.
6. Set the compensations in MBM so the case temp agrees with the probe.
7. Check the CPU core temp. Some CPU's , such as Celerons, won't produce any
heat when idle. Others will produce a little. If it's 10C higher or equal to
the case temp, it's probably close enough. If you have the probe installed
on the CPU, check it also. The core will be pretty close at idle. Adjust the
thermal diode sensor in MBM.
8. As a general rule, the CPU temp won't be lower than the case temp. It's a
matter of physics, however, the motherboards sensor may be close to a source
of heat so take it with a grain of salt.

If anyone has anything to add or if you know which CPU's produce a
significant amount of heat even when halted, let me know.

Chris

"Jago" <jago.titcomb@earthling.INVALIDnet> wrote in message
news:40753ee0_1@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...
> I've just installed MSI Core Center Pro, to try and check my CPU temp from
> within windows. Any other program I've tried reports CPU tems of 185
> C....obviously wrong.
> Core center reports a CPU temp of 33C and system temp of 41C, which sounds
> to me like the wrong way round???
> Can anyone recoomend a program that can accurately report the temp of the
> CPU and save me having to reboot and go into the BIOS every time I want
to
> check....
>
> Cheers
> Jago
>
> Athlon FX-51
> MSI - 9130 (K8T800) mobo
> 2Gb RAM
> GF FX5900U 256mb
> 440Gb SATA
> Audigy 2 ZS
> 23" Iiyama
>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
>
>
April 9, 2004 8:40:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Ian Smythe" <IanSmythe@aol.com> wrote in message
news:Anzdc.11393$So3.342496@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Jago wrote:
>
> > I've just installed MSI Core Center Pro, to try and check my CPU temp
from
> > within windows. Any other program I've tried reports CPU tems of 185
> > C....obviously wrong.
> > Core center reports a CPU temp of 33C and system temp of 41C, which
sounds
> > to me like the wrong way round???
> > Can anyone recoomend a program that can accurately report the temp of
the
> > CPU and save me having to reboot and go into the BIOS every time I want
to
> > check....
> >
> > Cheers
> > Jago
> >
> > Athlon FX-51
> > MSI - 9130 (K8T800) mobo
> > 2Gb RAM
> > GF FX5900U 256mb
> > 440Gb SATA
> > Audigy 2 ZS
> > 23" Iiyama
> >
> >
> >
> > ---
> > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> > Version: 6.0.654 / Virus Database: 419 - Release Date: 06/04/2004
> >
> >
> Sounds to me like you need to spend a few bucks and install a case
> fan. I have a side fan and a rear fan in my AMD64 and it is cool man
> cool! :-)

How do I do that? I have an 80mm (?) fan in the back of the case, and the
PSU has 2 fans on it....where would I put another one?

Jago


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.655 / Virus Database: 420 - Release Date: 08/04/2004
!