Overclocking Athlon64 today

(Posted this in the 64 newsgroup, but not many people there.)

I was reading a review of the Aopen AK86-L Via motherboard and the guy
mentions:

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1959

"By dropping multipliers in the BIOS, we were able to reach FSB
settings as high as 252. It appears that the AGP/PCI is ratio
controlled and that it again drops to 33/66 at a setting of 234. This
means the 252 is a PCI/AGP overclock of about 19 which is in-line with
the maximum overclock our picky ATI 9800 can handle. This is not a
working PCI lock as we have seen on Intel chipsets; it is a
ratio-driven PCI/AGP frequency similar to the one we first saw on the
Abit K8T800 motherboard."

Sounds to me like he's saying at FSB: 234mhz you get the correct
PCI/AGP frequencies.

10 x 234 seems to be more than the athlon64's can handle, but you can
drop the multiplier below 10, and at 9 x 234 = 2106 which seems to be
something they can handle.

It also looks like the athlon64 2800 (1.8Ghz) with a multiplier of 9
would work out well with this motherboard at this FSB.

Unfortunately, they tested the motherboard with the BH5 chip ram
that's almost unavailable anymore, so one wonders what working ram
you're supposed to put in the damn thing ;)

Anyone playing around with this stuff ?

By the way, ram prices have been rising. Suggests the computer
vendors are building computers (939 ?), or buying the memory now.

QBall

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003

TBQH, I don't know why anyone would go forking out thousands of pounds for
chips that don't really even o/c .... PARTICULARLY when they're locked
aswell.
When you can get a 1.8GHz XP-M that'll clock to 2.7GHz on air - with say, a
DFI that'll get you FSB's up to 270 stable and beyond, what's the point in
assembling a 64-bit system that'll only ever get the most marginal of o/c's.
The whole fun of overclocking is ...... the overclocking.

<red_nose@bozo.com> wrote in message
> (Posted this in the 64 newsgroup, but not many people there.)
>
> I was reading a review of the Aopen AK86-L Via motherboard and the guy
> mentions:
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.html?i=1959
>
> "By dropping multipliers in the BIOS, we were able to reach FSB
> settings as high as 252. It appears that the AGP/PCI is ratio
> controlled and that it again drops to 33/66 at a setting of 234. This
> means the 252 is a PCI/AGP overclock of about 19 which is in-line with
> the maximum overclock our picky ATI 9800 can handle. This is not a
> working PCI lock as we have seen on Intel chipsets; it is a
> ratio-driven PCI/AGP frequency similar to the one we first saw on the
> Abit K8T800 motherboard."
>

> Sounds to me like he's saying at FSB: 234mhz you get the correct
> PCI/AGP frequencies.
>
> 10 x 234 seems to be more than the athlon64's can handle, but you can
> drop the multiplier below 10, and at 9 x 234 = 2106 which seems to be
> something they can handle.
>
> It also looks like the athlon64 2800 (1.8Ghz) with a multiplier of 9
> would work out well with this motherboard at this FSB.
>
> Unfortunately, they tested the motherboard with the BH5 chip ram
> that's almost unavailable anymore, so one wonders what working ram
> you're supposed to put in the damn thing ;)
>
> Anyone playing around with this stuff ?
>
> By the way, ram prices have been rising. Suggests the computer
> vendors are building computers (939 ?), or buying the memory now.

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:36:35 +0000 (UTC), "QBall"
<qball__@btinternet.com> wrote:

>TBQH, I don't know why anyone would go forking out thousands of pounds for
>chips that don't really even o/c .... PARTICULARLY when they're locked
>aswell.
>When you can get a 1.8GHz XP-M that'll clock to 2.7GHz on air - with say, a
>DFI that'll get you FSB's up to 270 stable and beyond, what's the point in
>assembling a 64-bit system that'll only ever get the most marginal of o/c's.
>The whole fun of overclocking is ...... the overclocking.

The mobile 2600 looks pretty inviting to me, but for $75 more you can
have an athlon64 system that runs in the same ballpark with less
RPM's, current, and heat. That Aopen motherboard has a nice
collection of features for $95, including the 800mhz FSB and gigabit
lan. You can run 64 bit linux now, you'll be running windows64
service pack 1 in a year, and there will be a 3700 processor for the
motherboard by the end of the year. Plus it's single channel, you
only need a stick of 512M ram ;) Yeah, it's a pretty mild overclock,
if it'll even do it, but it makes it competitive economically.

I get the impression they're going to soak you good for 939 and all
that new stuff. Look at the Athlon64 FX. I'm not sure AMD can even
deliver the stuff in quantity.