Upgraded to PC3200 RAM, now system is slower???

Hi

My system is

a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
radeon 9800 pro
etc etc

I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
channel mode.

If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
compared to over 15000 before. )

If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.

Is this normal??

I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?

PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )

thanks

paul

"pberry" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> My system is
>
> a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
> barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
> radeon 9800 pro
> etc etc
>
> I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
> ). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
> my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
> channel mode.
>
> If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
> far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
> compared to over 15000 before. )
>
> If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
> 166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.
>
> Is this normal??
>
> I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?
>
> PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
> clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
> rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )
>
> thanks
>
> paul

Running the ram IN SYNC with the speed of the FSB usually achieves the best
results. Set the ram speed to 1:1 in the BIOS.

That said you can easily run the 2600+ at a 200FSB if you lower the
multiplier to 10 or even 11x. for a 2200Mhz clock speed which is fine for
the CPU.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Kill Bill" <a@b.c> wrote in message

> "pberry" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > My system is
> >
> > a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
> > barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
> > radeon 9800 pro
> > etc etc
> >
> > I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
> > ). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
> > my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
> > channel mode.
> >
> > If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
> > far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
> > compared to over 15000 before. )
> >
> > If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
> > 166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.
> >
> > Is this normal??
> >
> > I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?
> >
> > PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
> > clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
> > rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > paul
>
> Running the ram IN SYNC with the speed of the FSB usually achieves the
best
> results. Set the ram speed to 1:1 in the BIOS.
>
> That said you can easily run the 2600+ at a 200FSB if you lower the
> multiplier to 10 or even 11x. for a 2200Mhz clock speed which is fine for
> the CPU.

.....assuming his CPU is unlocked, which it might very well not be.

Chip

QBall

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003

Running memory asynchronously on an NF2 cripples performance ..... very
seriously.
Get a DFI Infinity and run both synchronously at 250 FSB ..... without
raising a sweat !

"pberry" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> My system is
>
> a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
> barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
> radeon 9800 pro
> etc etc
>
> I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
> ). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
> my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
> channel mode.
>
> If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
> far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
> compared to over 15000 before. )
>
> If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
> 166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.
>
> Is this normal??
>
> I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?
>
> PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
> clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
> rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )
>
> thanks
>
> paul

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"QBall" <qball__@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Running memory asynchronously on an NF2 cripples performance ..... very
> seriously.
> Get a DFI Infinity and run both synchronously at 250 FSB ..... without
> raising a sweat !

You have to be a pretty desparate overclocker to want to buy a DFI board.
Yes, if you want 250MHz FSB or more, then its the one to go for. But its
also *full* of problems, the support stinks and their support people often
have a really shitty attitude to their customers. Avoid!

Chip

> "pberry" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > My system is
> >
> > a7n8x-e deluxe mobo
> > barton 2600+ cpu ( 166fsb )
> > radeon 9800 pro
> > etc etc
> >
> > I want to put a xp 3200+ cpu in ( or maybe a 2500+ and o/c it to 3200+
> > ). I had 2 sticks of Kingston 256mb PC2700 Ram Cas 2.5, so i traded in
> > my two sticks of kingston 256Mb PC3200 ram, cas 3. Running in dual
> > channel mode.
> >
> > If i run the ram at 200mhz in the bios ( cpu at 166mhz ) then i get a
> > far worse benchamrk score than with the old pc2700 ram ( about 13000
> > compared to over 15000 before. )
> >
> > If i go into the bios and set the ram to run at same speed as fsb (
> > 166mhz ) then i get a more normal score, just over 15000 as before.
> >
> > Is this normal??
> >
> > I take it theres nothing stopping me just popping in a xp3200+ now?
> >
> > PS ive managed to get the xp2600+ up to 189mhz fsb resulting in a
> > clock speed of 2174Mhz. Not far off a 3200+ i dont think. But id
> > rather not overclock it so i run it at normal speed ( 166mhz )
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > paul

QBall

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> "QBall" <qball__@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > Running memory asynchronously on an NF2 cripples performance ..... very
> > seriously.
> > Get a DFI Infinity and run both synchronously at 250 FSB ..... without
> > raising a sweat !
>
> You have to be a pretty desparate overclocker to want to buy a DFI board.
> Yes, if you want 250MHz FSB or more, then its the one to go for. But its
> also *full* of problems,

No, that's just an Abit lie.
A few owners had cold-boot issues, but most of those were due to a variety
of user-errors.
Mine works flawlessly because I know what I'm doing.
There is a risk of board 'cot-death' - which can happen at stock settings.
But the upside is that you always get a good replacement back.
Like any true prodigy, it has its share of teething troubles.
But boy - it's so worth it !
It's a legend in it's own lunchtime - prolly the greatest o/c'ers mobo,
living or dead.

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > "QBall" <qball__@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> > > Running memory asynchronously on an NF2 cripples performance .....
very
> > > seriously.
> > > Get a DFI Infinity and run both synchronously at 250 FSB ..... without
> > > raising a sweat !
> >
> > You have to be a pretty desparate overclocker to want to buy a DFI
board.
> > Yes, if you want 250MHz FSB or more, then its the one to go for. But
its
> > also *full* of problems,
>

> No, that's just an Abit lie.

No, it isn't. I own one and I know about all the problems. Cold boot.
Poor raid performance, disk corruption with firewire enabled, not stable
above 1.825v CPU. I could go on.

> A few owners had cold-boot issues, but most of those were due to a variety
> of user-errors.

Nonsense. Many of the people with these problems are experienced PC
builders who have worked with countless other boards and who know what they
are doing.

> Mine works flawlessly because I know what I'm doing.

No, yours works flawlessly because you got lucky, and because you aren't
using Raid0. If you were using Raid0, you would know that the performance
is poor, because it is on *ALL* dfi infinities and lanpartys.

> There is a risk of board 'cot-death' - which can happen at stock settings.

Thats not the biggest problem though.

> But the upside is that you always get a good replacement back.

No. You always get **a replacement** back. Which might have all the same
problems. (It will *definitely* still have the raid problem, because they
all have that.) Many people are on their 3rd or 4th RMA with these boards.

> Like any true prodigy, it has its share of teething troubles.
> But boy - it's so worth it !

Why? So you can get higher scores in 3dmark01? I don't think so.

> It's a legend in it's own lunchtime - prolly the greatest o/c'ers mobo,
> living or dead.

True, it is an OK overclocker's board. But its just not worth it imho.
And apart from anything else its only good from the point of view of running
high FSB's. If you want big CPU overclocks, its fairly poor. The power
regulation is poor and it will only go up to 2.0v anyway. Not that you can
actually use anything over 1.85, because it doesn't actually work.

>> the support stinks and their support people often
> > have a really shitty attitude to their customers.

Hmmmm. You didn't respond to that bit. I wonder why. This is the single
biggest reason I am dumping mine.

Chip

> "QBall" <qball__@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> > > "QBall" <qball__@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> very
without

> > > You have to be a pretty desparate overclocker to want to buy a DFI
> board.
> > > Yes, if you want 250MHz FSB or more, then its the one to go for. But
> its
> > > also *full* of problems,
> >

> > No, that's just an Abit lie.
>
> No, it isn't. I own one and I know about all the problems. Cold boot.

With the right settings, this is avoidable.

> Poor raid performance,

This afflicts a lot of NF2 boards.
Most people use a PCI RAID card anyway.

> disk corruption with firewire enabled,

Haven't heard of disk corruption.

not stable
> above 1.825v CPU.

Well, I've got two Infinities running at 2.0vcore quite happily - and know
lots of others.

>I could go on.

Yeah, but you haven't because there are no more problems.
You're exaggerating a few problems experienced by people who haven't got
their setups right.
So stop blaming the manufacturer.

> > A few owners had cold-boot issues, but most of those were due to a
variety
> > of user-errors.
>
> Nonsense. Many of the people with these problems are experienced PC
> builders who have worked with countless other boards and who know what
they
> are doing.
>
> > Mine works flawlessly because I know what I'm doing.
>
> No, yours works flawlessly because you got lucky, and because you aren't
> using Raid0. If you were using Raid0, you would know that the performance
> is poor, because it is on *ALL* dfi infinities and lanpartys.

Just get a $20 RAID card.
It's foolish to run RAID anyway - it's inherently risky, of little
performance gain and asking for trouble.

> > There is a risk of board 'cot-death' - which can happen at stock
settings.

> Thats not the biggest problem though.

You keep making these open-ended statements like there's some huge, unspoken
problem.
The only non-user-error problems are possible cot-death and RAID issues -
and the latter has a work-around.

> > But the upside is that you always get a good replacement back.
>
> No. You always get **a replacement** back. Which might have all the same
> problems.

No, I've RMA'd two Infinities - and BOTH are absolutely perfect.

(It will *definitely* still have the raid problem, because they
> all have that.) Many people are on their 3rd or 4th RMA with these
boards.

Yes, because of RAID problems.
If they had half a brain, they'd spend RMA postage on a RAID card.

> > Like any true prodigy, it has its share of teething troubles.
> > But boy - it's so worth it !
>
> Why? So you can get higher scores in 3dmark01?

You obviously haven't got a clue what a good o/c'ing board's about.
3DMk is a complete irrelevance.
What o/c's want is high FSB, a board that extracts the best from memory, one
that runs the CPU cool and awesome analogue audio performance.
And there's no board that's ever come close to the DFI's on this.

I don't think so.

> > It's a legend in it's own lunchtime - prolly the greatest o/c'ers mobo,
> > living or dead.
>
> True, it is an OK overclocker's board. But its just not worth it imho.

Not for you, because you stubbornly threw a tantrum about the RAID issue and
refused to buy a cheap RAID card.
You can't go on to trash a stunning mobo because of your own intransigence.

> And apart from anything else its only good from the point of view of
running
> high FSB's.

Err .... I don't think so.
There's memory performance, too.
If you believe that gross o/c is the only performance parameter, you're
obviously just an amateur and newbie.

>If you want big CPU overclocks, its fairly poor.

Wrong, my Infinity runs my chip to within 30 MHz of what an NF7 took another
0.13vcore to run it.

The power
> regulation is poor and it will only go up to 2.0v anyway.

Who cares if it gets you close to the chips max, but at 15C cooler ?

Not that you can
> actually use anything over 1.85, because it doesn't actually work.

Go to amdmb.com and look at people's sigs - there's loads running at
2.0vcore perfectly happily.
I think the problem you're referring to is that of the XP mobiles - many of
which will not take more than 1.85vcore.
The other side of that problem is that many users are using backplate
coolers and in mismounting them have impaired cooling.
Reduced voltagability is a definitively diagnostic symptom of incorrect sink
mounting - again, user-error.

> >> the support stinks and their support people often
> > > have a really shitty attitude to their customers.

Well, they've dealt with both my RMA's perfectly.

> Hmmmm. You didn't respond to that bit. I wonder why. This is the single
> biggest reason I am dumping mine.

So they didn't RMA your board ?
Maybe your reasons for trying to RMA were spurious.
Or maybe you screwed up your board and voided the warranty.
Again, like 98% of the complaints - user-error.
Don't blame others for YOUR screw-ups.
Go to amdmb.com and read the number of posts waxing lyrical about this
amazing piece of kit.
A good board is like a race Ferrari - needs some know-how to get it just
right.
If you want safe - get a Hewlett Packard.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:45:15 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
wrote:

>"QBall" <qball__@btinternet.com> wrote in message

Do a quick search ' chip ' lad, this qball is just a gobshite. Just
read some of his posts to others.

He is a waste of ' keystroke ', try to stop feeding him, maybe he
will go elsewhere for food and kicks !

Regards, BoroLad

79 --- --- --- QBall..................... 1 68 58.8% 0.2% 0.4%

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

<borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 11:45:15 +0100, "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"QBall" <qball__@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Do a quick search ' chip ' lad, this qball is just a gobshite. Just
> read some of his posts to others.
>
> He is a waste of ' keystroke ', try to stop feeding him, maybe he
> will go elsewhere for food and kicks !

I see what you mean Borolad. I just waded through his latest incoherent
offensive ramblings. The guy's a complete moron. I'll just leave it at
that.

Chip.