WPS - Read Zero Config Wireless Profiles

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 14, 2005 5:58:05 PM

I am trying to read the list of SSIDs stored in the Zero Config's preferred
network list. I believe this is possible through WPS -
IProvisioningDomain::Querry. But I am not able to find any example for this.
It would be helpful if you could direct me to a sample.

Thanks,
Priya
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 17, 2005 7:08:43 PM

Did you downloaded WSPDDK with example of Query in it ?
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/wireless/w...
Arkady

"Prikko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I am trying to read the list of SSIDs stored in the Zero Config's preferred
> network list. I believe this is possible through WPS -
> IProvisioningDomain::Querry. But I am not able to find any example for
> this.
> It would be helpful if you could direct me to a sample.
>
> Thanks,
> Priya
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 17, 2005 8:19:01 PM

Thanks. I will check it out.

"Arkady Frenkel" wrote:

> Did you downloaded WSPDDK with example of Query in it ?
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/wireless/w...
> Arkady
>
> "Prikko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> >I am trying to read the list of SSIDs stored in the Zero Config's preferred
> > network list. I believe this is possible through WPS -
> > IProvisioningDomain::Querry. But I am not able to find any example for
> > this.
> > It would be helpful if you could direct me to a sample.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Priya

a b F Wireless
April 17, 2005 10:50:08 PM

WPS is an component which is built into the WZCSVC service to support
"hotspot" technologies. The WPSDDK documentation does not describe how to
extract SSIDs but how to add or query your own hotspot XML files on a
client. WPS is a something which you'd probably not need to examine unless
you're a hotspot provider yourself. There is one exception to this
statement: there is an API "CreateProfile" included in the WPS documentation
which you can use to create a wireless profile in the preferred list. Note,
this will not satisfy your initial problem but I may have a workaround
solution.

Personally, I don't know of a publicly documented API to extract the
properties of a wireless profile in XPSP2. So my suggestion to find the list
of preferred SSIDs is through the logs created by the wireless service. If
you enable wireless tracing:

C:\>netsh ras set tracing WZCTrace enable

you'll create a %SystemDrive%\Windows\Tracing\WZCTrace.log file which is
spew generated from the WZCSVC service. You can parse this log file for the
SSIDs scanned based on the preferred list. This list will provide you with
the basic properties (read, SSID) of the preferred network list.

--
Oliver
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

"Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> Did you downloaded WSPDDK with example of Query in it ?
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/wireless/w...
> Arkady
>
> "Prikko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>I am trying to read the list of SSIDs stored in the Zero Config's
>>preferred
>> network list. I believe this is possible through WPS -
>> IProvisioningDomain::Querry. But I am not able to find any example for
>> this.
>> It would be helpful if you could direct me to a sample.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Priya

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 19, 2005 3:21:01 PM

Oliver,

Thanks for your detailed response. All I want is the names of the wireless
profiles in the preferred list. Does WZCSVC store the XML file in any
specific path/location. In that case, I can probably try parsing the XML file
using an XML parser to extract the preferred list.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Priya

"Oliver Saal [MS]" wrote:

> WPS is an component which is built into the WZCSVC service to support
> "hotspot" technologies. The WPSDDK documentation does not describe how to
> extract SSIDs but how to add or query your own hotspot XML files on a
> client. WPS is a something which you'd probably not need to examine unless
> you're a hotspot provider yourself. There is one exception to this
> statement: there is an API "CreateProfile" included in the WPS documentation
> which you can use to create a wireless profile in the preferred list. Note,
> this will not satisfy your initial problem but I may have a workaround
> solution.
>
> Personally, I don't know of a publicly documented API to extract the
> properties of a wireless profile in XPSP2. So my suggestion to find the list
> of preferred SSIDs is through the logs created by the wireless service. If
> you enable wireless tracing:
>
> C:\>netsh ras set tracing WZCTrace enable
>
> you'll create a %SystemDrive%\Windows\Tracing\WZCTrace.log file which is
> spew generated from the WZCSVC service. You can parse this log file for the
> SSIDs scanned based on the preferred list. This list will provide you with
> the basic properties (read, SSID) of the preferred network list.
>
> --
> Oliver
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
>
> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> > Did you downloaded WSPDDK with example of Query in it ?
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/wireless/w...
> > Arkady
> >
> > "Prikko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> >>I am trying to read the list of SSIDs stored in the Zero Config's
> >>preferred
> >> network list. I believe this is possible through WPS -
> >> IProvisioningDomain::Querry. But I am not able to find any example for
> >> this.
> >> It would be helpful if you could direct me to a sample.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Priya

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 20, 2005 12:11:03 PM

I see that the preferred network list is present under-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\{interface GUID}]

There is a registry value "Static#....". This is REG_BINARY and has the
preferred network name. Is the structure of this registry value available? If
so, I can extract the preferred nw ssid from this. Please help.

Thanks,
Priya

"Oliver Saal [MS]" wrote:

> WPS is an component which is built into the WZCSVC service to support
> "hotspot" technologies. The WPSDDK documentation does not describe how to
> extract SSIDs but how to add or query your own hotspot XML files on a
> client. WPS is a something which you'd probably not need to examine unless
> you're a hotspot provider yourself. There is one exception to this
> statement: there is an API "CreateProfile" included in the WPS documentation
> which you can use to create a wireless profile in the preferred list. Note,
> this will not satisfy your initial problem but I may have a workaround
> solution.
>
> Personally, I don't know of a publicly documented API to extract the
> properties of a wireless profile in XPSP2. So my suggestion to find the list
> of preferred SSIDs is through the logs created by the wireless service. If
> you enable wireless tracing:
>
> C:\>netsh ras set tracing WZCTrace enable
>
> you'll create a %SystemDrive%\Windows\Tracing\WZCTrace.log file which is
> spew generated from the WZCSVC service. You can parse this log file for the
> SSIDs scanned based on the preferred list. This list will provide you with
> the basic properties (read, SSID) of the preferred network list.
>
> --
> Oliver
> This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
>
> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
> > Did you downloaded WSPDDK with example of Query in it ?
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/wireless/w...
> > Arkady
> >
> > "Prikko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> >>I am trying to read the list of SSIDs stored in the Zero Config's
> >>preferred
> >> network list. I believe this is possible through WPS -
> >> IProvisioningDomain::Querry. But I am not able to find any example for
> >> this.
> >> It would be helpful if you could direct me to a sample.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Priya

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 20, 2005 4:46:44 PM

This registry key is not public because it structure and contents change
quite frequently. This would not be a suggestable method to obtain
preferred list entries.

With some simple parsing logic you find your preferred networks list in the
WZCTRACE.LOG. You are looking for a set of strings like this:

[2752] 10:26:16:189: [WZCCopySelectedConfigs(02E9EEE8->4/4, 0)
[2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[2]: SSID=<9:MyNetwork> From
List
[2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[0]: SSID=<11:AnotherSSID> From
List
[2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[1]: SSID=<9:ThirdSSID> From
List
[2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[3]: SSID=<8:HomeSSID> From
List
[2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs]=0, NumCopied=<4>, Index=<4/4>

Does this help narrow down your search?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"Priyko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I see that the preferred network list is present under-
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\{interface
> GUID}]
>
> There is a registry value "Static#....". This is REG_BINARY and has the
> preferred network name. Is the structure of this registry value available?
> If
> so, I can extract the preferred nw ssid from this. Please help.
>
> Thanks,
> Priya
>
> "Oliver Saal [MS]" wrote:
>
>> WPS is an component which is built into the WZCSVC service to support
>> "hotspot" technologies. The WPSDDK documentation does not describe how to
>> extract SSIDs but how to add or query your own hotspot XML files on a
>> client. WPS is a something which you'd probably not need to examine
>> unless
>> you're a hotspot provider yourself. There is one exception to this
>> statement: there is an API "CreateProfile" included in the WPS
>> documentation
>> which you can use to create a wireless profile in the preferred list.
>> Note,
>> this will not satisfy your initial problem but I may have a workaround
>> solution.
>>
>> Personally, I don't know of a publicly documented API to extract the
>> properties of a wireless profile in XPSP2. So my suggestion to find the
>> list
>> of preferred SSIDs is through the logs created by the wireless service.
>> If
>> you enable wireless tracing:
>>
>> C:\>netsh ras set tracing WZCTrace enable
>>
>> you'll create a %SystemDrive%\Windows\Tracing\WZCTrace.log file which is
>> spew generated from the WZCSVC service. You can parse this log file for
>> the
>> SSIDs scanned based on the preferred list. This list will provide you
>> with
>> the basic properties (read, SSID) of the preferred network list.
>>
>> --
>> Oliver
>> This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO
>> rights
>>
>> "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
>> > Did you downloaded WSPDDK with example of Query in it ?
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/wireless/w...
>> > Arkady
>> >
>> > "Prikko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 21, 2005 1:40:50 PM

Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. My concerns in doing this are-

1. My application would have to enable tracing and the user could turn off
tracing anytime. In that case I might not be guaranteed to get the preferred
list whenever I query.

2. If tracing is not enabled and I just enable tracing, I am not sure the
trace file will contain preferred list..meaning- I would have to wait for
WZCSVC to update the trace file before I can get the preferred list.

3. The trace file could be large and parsing might not be very efficient
method to get the preferred list. Especially since the log file becomes huge
with time and my app would need this info more than once.

Instead is it possible to directly parse the XML file where WZC stores the
profiles?

Thanks again,
Priya

"Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Personally, I don't know of a publicly documented API to extract the
> >> properties of a wireless profile in XPSP2. So my suggestion to find the
> >> list
> >> of preferred SSIDs is through the logs created by the wireless service.
> >> If
> >> you enable wireless tracing:
> >>
> >> C:\>netsh ras set tracing WZCTrace enable
> >>
> >> you'll create a %SystemDrive%\Windows\Tracing\WZCTrace.log file which is
> >> spew generated from the WZCSVC service. You can parse this log file for
> >> the
> >> SSIDs scanned based on the preferred list. This list will provide you
> >> with
> >> the basic properties (read, SSID) of the preferred network list.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Oliver
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2005 6:46:03 PM

Jerry,

Is it possible to parse the XML file where zero config stores the profiles
directly? Parsing the trace to get preferred networks might not work for me
(for reasons mentioned below).

Thanks,
Priya

"Priyko" wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> Thanks for the reply. My concerns in doing this are-
>
> 1. My application would have to enable tracing and the user could turn off
> tracing anytime. In that case I might not be guaranteed to get the preferred
> list whenever I query.
>
> 2. If tracing is not enabled and I just enable tracing, I am not sure the
> trace file will contain preferred list..meaning- I would have to wait for
> WZCSVC to update the trace file before I can get the preferred list.
>
> 3. The trace file could be large and parsing might not be very efficient
> method to get the preferred list. Especially since the log file becomes huge
> with time and my app would need this info more than once.
>
> Instead is it possible to directly parse the XML file where WZC stores the
> profiles?
>
> Thanks again,
> Priya
>
> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > This registry key is not public because it structure and contents change
> > quite frequently. This would not be a suggestable method to obtain
> > preferred list entries.
> >
> > With some simple parsing logic you find your preferred networks list in the
> > WZCTRACE.LOG. You are looking for a set of strings like this:
> >
> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: [WZCCopySelectedConfigs(02E9EEE8->4/4, 0)
> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[2]: SSID=<9:MyNetwork> From
> > List
> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[0]: SSID=<11:AnotherSSID> From
> > List
> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[1]: SSID=<9:ThirdSSID> From
> > List
> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[3]: SSID=<8:HomeSSID> From
> > List
> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs]=0, NumCopied=<4>, Index=<4/4>
> >
> > Does this help narrow down your search?
> >
> > --
> > Jerry Peterson
> > Windows Network Services - Wireless

> > "Priyko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > >I see that the preferred network list is present under-
> > >
> > > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces\{interface
> > > GUID}]
> > >
> > > There is a registry value "Static#....". This is REG_BINARY and has the
> > > preferred network name. Is the structure of this registry value available?
> > > If
> > > so, I can extract the preferred nw ssid from this. Please help.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Priya

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 2, 2005 6:35:32 PM

No it is not possible because the Profiles are not stored in XML format.
XML format can be used for operations with the Provisioning API, but the
wireless service uses a unique structure in the profile store. Direct
modification of the profile store is not a method I can advocate or
recommend.

--

> Jerry,
>
> Is it possible to parse the XML file where zero config stores the profiles
> directly? Parsing the trace to get preferred networks might not work for
> me
> (for reasons mentioned below).
>
> Thanks,
> Priya
>

> "Priyko" wrote:
>
>> Jerry,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. My concerns in doing this are-
>>
>> 1. My application would have to enable tracing and the user could turn
>> off
>> tracing anytime. In that case I might not be guaranteed to get the
>> preferred
>> list whenever I query.
>>
>> 2. If tracing is not enabled and I just enable tracing, I am not sure the
>> trace file will contain preferred list..meaning- I would have to wait for
>> WZCSVC to update the trace file before I can get the preferred list.
>>
>> 3. The trace file could be large and parsing might not be very efficient
>> method to get the preferred list. Especially since the log file becomes
>> huge
>> with time and my app would need this info more than once.
>>
>> Instead is it possible to directly parse the XML file where WZC stores
>> the
>> profiles?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Priya
>>
>> "Jerry Peterson[MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>> > This registry key is not public because it structure and contents
>> > change
>> > quite frequently. This would not be a suggestable method to obtain
>> > preferred list entries.
>> >
>> > With some simple parsing logic you find your preferred networks list in
>> > the
>> > WZCTRACE.LOG. You are looking for a set of strings like this:
>> >
>> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: [WZCCopySelectedConfigs(02E9EEE8->4/4, 0)
>> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[2]: SSID=<9:MyNetwork>
>> > From
>> > List
>> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[0]: SSID=<11:AnotherSSID>
>> > From
>> > List
>> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[1]: SSID=<9:ThirdSSID>
>> > From
>> > List
>> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs[3]: SSID=<8:HomeSSID>
>> > From
>> > List
>> > [2752] 10:26:16:189: WZCCopySelectedConfigs]=0, NumCopied=<4>,
>> > Index=<4/4>
>> >
>> > Does this help narrow down your search?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jerry Peterson
>> > Windows Network Services - Wireless

>> > rights.
>> > "Priyko" <Priko@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 4, 2005 12:39:17 PM

Jerry,

Thanks for your replies. Is this something that APIs will be available
for at some point in the future?

Priya

!