I don't know if there is a connection, but I am using a PCI card for the
purpose of adding usb and firewire ports. They seem to work. Sometime after
installation, I began to have the typical restart instead of shutdown
syndrome. I decided to live with it. Suddenly the syndrome healed itself. I
can now shutdown the machine, but, on some occasions when I go to a
particular website after opening Outlook -- maybe it's all of them? -- I
suddenly lose my wireless usb mouse. In an attempt to recover quickly, I
plug in a wired usb mouse. The computer does not react. I seem to be able to
maneuver using the keyboard and reboot. I guess I have to suspect the pci
card, but I'd like to know if there are some other ideas out there.

Asussertown Wrote:
> I don't know if there is a connection, but I am using a PCI card for
> the
> purpose of adding usb and firewire ports. They seem to work. Sometime
> after
> installation, I began to have the typical restart instead of shutdown
> syndrome. I decided to live with it. Suddenly the syndrome healed
> itself. I
> can now shutdown the machine, but, on some occasions when I go to a
> particular website after opening Outlook -- maybe it's all of them? --
> suddenly lose my wireless usb mouse. In an attempt to recover quickly,
> plug in a wired usb mouse. The computer does not react. I seem to be
> able to
> maneuver using the keyboard and reboot. I guess I have to suspect the
> pci
> card, but I'd like to know if there are some other ideas out there.

Thats an odd problem. It might have something to do with a faulty
driver, either for the mouse, or the pci Card. you Can:

1:Check for conflicts under both devices in Device manager.
2:Install updated drivers for both devices.

if neither of those work, it might also be your Web Browser. Download a
newer version if nessecary.

--
Mbandgeek

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:13:52 -0600, Asussertown wrote:

> I don't know if there is a connection, but I am using a PCI card for the
> purpose of adding usb and firewire ports. They seem to work. Sometime after
> installation, I began to have the typical restart instead of shutdown
> syndrome. I decided to live with it. Suddenly the syndrome healed itself. I
> can now shutdown the machine, but, on some occasions when I go to a
> particular website after opening Outlook -- maybe it's all of them? -- I
> suddenly lose my wireless usb mouse. In an attempt to recover quickly, I
> plug in a wired usb mouse. The computer does not react. I seem to be able to
> maneuver using the keyboard and reboot. I guess I have to suspect the pci
> card, but I'd like to know if there are some other ideas out there.

In regards to Outlook, I find that clicking a link while mail is
downloading causes a "not responding" status. For me this applies to
Outlook versions 2002 (from Office XP) and 2003. If I wait until mail is
downloaded, then no lockups occur.

Lockups with a program or particular process can have unwanted side effects
including problems with input devices.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User