Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Athlon MP vs Athlon XP vs Barton MP vs Opteron

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2004 10:53:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hello,
I have an Asus A7M266-D with dual Athlon MP 1.2ghz and i'me looking to
upgrade.

I'me wondering where i would get the biggest performance boost. By
grabbing two (relativley cheap) Athlon XP processors? Or dropping two
Athlon MP processors?

And what is the difference between Athlon MP and Barton MP? Are they
different cores, performance wise?

Or should I wait for the Opterons to go down in price and buy myself
another motherboard and drop two Opteron processors.

I do mostly compiling and programming, numerical calculations, rendering
and playing games.

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2004 6:08:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Yoyoma_2" <Yoyoma_2@[at-]Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p X5ec.76556$Ig.14252@pd7tw2no...
> Hello,
> I have an Asus A7M266-D with dual Athlon MP 1.2ghz and i'me looking to
> upgrade.
>
> I'me wondering where i would get the biggest performance boost. By
> grabbing two (relativley cheap) Athlon XP processors? Or dropping two
> Athlon MP processors?
>
> And what is the difference between Athlon MP and Barton MP? Are they
> different cores, performance wise?
>
> Or should I wait for the Opterons to go down in price and buy myself
> another motherboard and drop two Opteron processors.
>
> I do mostly compiling and programming, numerical calculations, rendering
> and playing games.
>
> Thanks!
>

I'm not sure how intensive your programming, rendering and numerical work
is, but I've done some fairly decently stout crunching and I've found that
the Opterons are ~well~ worth the investment and very fast.

Bear in mind that the Opterons are not being fulling exploited today (due to
a lack of optimized OS and driver support) and they still are holding their
own in benchmarks. Over time, this is your best upgrade path (OS wise, not
hardware wise).

Also, a dual Opteron board will accept 12 to 16 GIGS of memory. That ought
to be enough to handle anything you need for the immediate future! :) 
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2004 8:17:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Jared Richardson wrote:

> "Yoyoma_2" <Yoyoma_2@[at-]Hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p X5ec.76556$Ig.14252@pd7tw2no...
>
>>Hello,
>>I have an Asus A7M266-D with dual Athlon MP 1.2ghz and i'me looking to
>>upgrade.
>>
>>I'me wondering where i would get the biggest performance boost. By
>>grabbing two (relativley cheap) Athlon XP processors? Or dropping two
>>Athlon MP processors?
>>
>>And what is the difference between Athlon MP and Barton MP? Are they
>>different cores, performance wise?
>>
>>Or should I wait for the Opterons to go down in price and buy myself
>>another motherboard and drop two Opteron processors.
>>
>>I do mostly compiling and programming, numerical calculations, rendering
>>and playing games.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>
>
> I'm not sure how intensive your programming, rendering and numerical work
> is, but I've done some fairly decently stout crunching and I've found that
> the Opterons are ~well~ worth the investment and very fast.
>
> Bear in mind that the Opterons are not being fulling exploited today (due to
> a lack of optimized OS and driver support) and they still are holding their
> own in benchmarks. Over time, this is your best upgrade path (OS wise, not
> hardware wise).

yeah but if i use GEntoo Linux, i have to recompile everything. Wohoo :) 
Although this distro is a pain because, you have to spend 2 days
recompiling, the speed difference just on with my athlon-mp was amazing.
That's worth a shot.

> Also, a dual Opteron board will accept 12 to 16 GIGS of memory. That ought
> to be enough to handle anything you need for the immediate future! :) 

For sure. You say you have a dual opteron system, what motherboard are
you using? I've had bad experience with the Tyan motherboards. Asus is
pretty stable but not verry featurefull.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2004 10:13:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Yoyoma_2" <Yoyoma_2@[at-]Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9ceec.80252$oR5.74311@pd7tw3no...
> Jared Richardson wrote:
>

<snipped>

> > Also, a dual Opteron board will accept 12 to 16 GIGS of memory. That
ought
> > to be enough to handle anything you need for the immediate future! :) 
>
> For sure. You say you have a dual opteron system, what motherboard are
> you using? I've had bad experience with the Tyan motherboards. Asus is
> pretty stable but not verry featurefull.

In the past, I've had ~horrible~ experience with Tyan boards and would never
endorse them... however, I was an early adopter on this line and the Tyan
was the only board out for several months... it has been rock solid (unlike
my dual Pentium board, the Tyan Tomcat, which got RMA-ed 4 times!). Other
than not having USB 2.0, it's a great motherboard. Fast and reliable.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 11, 2004 11:15:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Yoyoma_2" <Yoyoma_2@[at-]Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p X5ec.76556$Ig.14252@pd7tw2no...
> Hello,
> I have an Asus A7M266-D with dual Athlon MP 1.2ghz and i'me looking to
> upgrade.
>
> I'me wondering where i would get the biggest performance boost. By
> grabbing two (relativley cheap) Athlon XP processors? Or dropping two
> Athlon MP processors?
>
> And what is the difference between Athlon MP and Barton MP? Are they
> different cores, performance wise?
>
> Or should I wait for the Opterons to go down in price and buy myself
> another motherboard and drop two Opteron processors.
>
> I do mostly compiling and programming, numerical calculations, rendering
> and playing games.
>
> Thanks!
XP's can be converted to MP's by joining the last L5 bridge.
I am running 2 x XP barton 2800's (166fsb chips) converted to MP's in my
Iwill mpx2, I used the wire mod to change the multiplier on www.ocinside.de
as mine were the last of the unlocked cpus, all new chips are fully locked
now and this won't work any more unless you get mobile versions.
Xp 2400's are a cheap choice for a upgrade, or if you want to spend the $$$
get the MP 2800 bartons these both run the 133 FSB (266 ddr).

All the info you need is on the 2cpu forums.
http://forums.2cpu.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=13

Read the stickies and post on there and you will get plenty of information
from other dualie users.
!