Problems Installing WMP54

I am having enormous problems installing a WMP54-G card on WinXP.
I have all the latest drivers from linksys, but Windows refuses to
'see' the drivers and install the card!? I have tried all sorts of
permutations and I'm just running out of ideas.

The card has been successfully installed ona win2k machine by a
friend.

parker

grag,
I had the same problem when I tried to install that same card. What I did
was uninstall the card in device manager, restarted the pc and allowed XP to
find New Hardware. When prompted by XP I put my driver CD in for the card
and finished the install. I also disabled my LAN card. Once I did all of
that it still looked like it wasnt installed so I just tried to connect to
my network and then it worked fine.

"-+= graq =+-" <google@graq.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am having enormous problems installing a WMP54-G card on WinXP.
> I have all the latest drivers from linksys, but Windows refuses to
> 'see' the drivers and install the card!? I have tried all sorts of
> permutations and I'm just running out of ideas.
>
> The card has been successfully installed ona win2k machine by a
> friend.

Thanks Parker, but I have tried that many times.

I Disable Wired LAN (onboard). I uninstall WLAN card in device
manager.
Reboot the machine - WinXP detects the hardware, I opt not to connect
to the internet (especially as it is disabled).
The install wizard the prompts me 'to insert install disk' if there is
one.
I place the CD in the drive, there's a bit of a whirr and then the
install wizard tells me:

"The wizard could not find the software to install your component for
... ? network controller".

I personally think that that is appaling. :(

"Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<OBtHZ5cQFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> grag,
> I had the same problem when I tried to install that same card. What I did
> was uninstall the card in device manager, restarted the pc and allowed XP to
> find New Hardware. When prompted by XP I put my driver CD in for the card
> and finished the install. I also disabled my LAN card. Once I did all of
> that it still looked like it wasnt installed so I just tried to connect to
> my network and then it worked fine.
>

> "-+= graq =+-" <google@graq.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I am having enormous problems installing a WMP54-G card on WinXP.
> > I have all the latest drivers from linksys, but Windows refuses to
> > 'see' the drivers and install the card!? I have tried all sorts of
> > permutations and I'm just running out of ideas.
> >
> > The card has been successfully installed ona win2k machine by a
> > friend.

mark

I had the same problem. Try a different PCI slot.

> Thanks Parker, but I have tried that many times.
>
> I Disable Wired LAN (onboard). I uninstall WLAN card in device
> manager.
> Reboot the machine - WinXP detects the hardware, I opt not to connect
> to the internet (especially as it is disabled).
> The install wizard the prompts me 'to insert install disk' if there is
> one.
> I place the CD in the drive, there's a bit of a whirr and then the
> install wizard tells me:
>
> "The wizard could not find the software to install your component for
> ... ? network controller".
>
> I personally think that that is appaling. :(
>

> "Parker" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> grag,
>> I had the same problem when I tried to install that same card. What I
>> did
>> was uninstall the card in device manager, restarted the pc and allowed XP
>> find New Hardware. When prompted by XP I put my driver CD in for the
>> card
>> and finished the install. I also disabled my LAN card. Once I did all
>> of
>> that it still looked like it wasnt installed so I just tried to connect
>> my network and then it worked fine.
>>

>> "-+= graq =+-" <google@graq.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >I am having enormous problems installing a WMP54-G card on WinXP.
>> > I have all the latest drivers from linksys, but Windows refuses to
>> > 'see' the drivers and install the card!? I have tried all sorts of
>> > permutations and I'm just running out of ideas.
>> >
>> > The card has been successfully installed ona win2k machine by a
>> > friend.

parker

As Mark said, thats a good thought because it was a little touchy when
pressed into the PCI slot on my machine.