Does the new VIA KT880 allow changing of fsb without affec..

Hi,

I was told this was a problem with VIA boards that nVidia boards didn't
suffer from: then when you adjust the fsb speed on an nVidia board, it
doesn't affect the agp or pci slots, while if you do the same on the VIA
boards, the fsb also pumps up the agp/pci slot fsb, causing unstability etc.

Does the new KT880 suffer from this? I ask because I will be using
Linux, which doesn't have the greatest support for nVidia products
(without using closed-source drivrers, anyway.)

Thanks,
Asfand Yar

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/
2 answers Last reply

    "Asfand Yar Qazi" <im_not_giving_it_here@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was told this was a problem with VIA boards that nVidia boards didn't
    > suffer from: then when you adjust the fsb speed on an nVidia board, it
    > doesn't affect the agp or pci slots, while if you do the same on the VIA
    > boards, the fsb also pumps up the agp/pci slot fsb, causing unstability
    etc.

    > Does the new KT880 suffer from this? I ask because I will be using
    > Linux, which doesn't have the greatest support for nVidia products
    > (without using closed-source drivrers, anyway.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Asfand Yar
    >

    > --
    > http://www.it-is-truth.org/

    Don't know - the reviews I have seen do not mention it - but since the kt600
    an additional divider has been added to enable a setting of 200mhz fsb while
    keeping the pci/agp in spec. So a 200mhz fsb with maybe a 10% OC (220mhz)
    might be possible without any problems.

    "Hippy Paul" <nul@anon.con> wrote in message

    > "Asfand Yar Qazi" <im_not_giving_it_here@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I was told this was a problem with VIA boards that nVidia boards didn't
    > > suffer from: then when you adjust the fsb speed on an nVidia board, it
    > > doesn't affect the agp or pci slots, while if you do the same on the VIA
    > > boards, the fsb also pumps up the agp/pci slot fsb, causing unstability
    > etc.
    > >
    > > Does the new KT880 suffer from this? I ask because I will be using
    > > Linux, which doesn't have the greatest support for nVidia products
    > > (without using closed-source drivrers, anyway.)
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Asfand Yar
    > >

    > > --
    > > http://www.it-is-truth.org/
    >
    > Don't know - the reviews I have seen do not mention it - but since the
    kt600
    > an additional divider has been added to enable a setting of 200mhz fsb
    while
    > keeping the pci/agp in spec. So a 200mhz fsb with maybe a 10% OC (220mhz)
    > might be possible without any problems.

    The KT880 chipset does not have an AGP or PCI lock.

    Chip

AMD Nvidia Overclocking