Reintroduction to 64-Bit

Hello everyone,

Due to the promise of an adequate tax return I have again plunged myself
into the world of 64bit processing.

I own a Sun UltraSparc 2S, 2*299MHz, 512MB RAM, 3D Creator Frame Buffer
(UPA), 9.1 GB 10k rpm HDD1, 36.6 GB 10k rpm HDD2, Dual boot: HDD1 Solaris 8,
HDD2 Solaris 9

It is in my garage making sure the shelf it is on does not move. A very
menial task for such processing power.

I have dabbled in Linux since Red Hat 6.2 and various Unix's on Sun, HP, and
DIGITAL/Vax.

The company I work for phased out all Unix versions of our software in 1999
and 2000 and mothballed all of our heavy iron. Now all software development
is MFC with VS.NET. Since then I am extremly out of practice on shell and
have existed in a Windows-only bubble since. At home the Wife v12.5 and
Daughter v11.25 must run under Windows only (married 12.5 years, daughter
11.25 years old, tee-hee) as there is a dependancy on MS Office and Age of
Empires series of games respectivly. That and IE will display and play just
about anything (even the unwanted/undesired).

So, anyways, I've been wanting an upgrade and was very tempted by the Athlon
64. So I broke down and ordered my components. Everything came in this
afternoon. Here is what I settled on.

Gigabyte - K8N Pro - nVIDIA nForce3 - Socket 754 ATX Motherboard with Audio,
AGP8X/4X, S/PDIF, IrDA, USB 2.0, FireWire, RAID, Serial ATA, HyperTransport
and Gigabit LAN Support
AMD AthlonT 64 3000+ / 512KB Cache / 1600MHz FSB / Socket 754 / Processor
Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory 2 Pack (1024MB Total)
Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB / 7200 / 8MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive
Liteon DVD 16X LTD166/XJHD166S Black Retail
Liteon DVD+/-RW 8x LDW-851S Black Retail
Diablo Tek Black Demon ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front USB Ports
Diablo 550Watt Dual LED ATX Power Supply with SATA Power Connectors

I know, I know, the HT bus speed on the NF3 is only 600MHz but the board has
other great features I wanted. 1) Supports up to 3GB RAM. 2) Number of drive
connectors, I will be connecting the new HDD and the DVD & DVD+/-RW in
addition to my current CD-RW drive, 60GB Quantum Fireball, 30GB Quantum
Fireball, and 2 WD 30 GB drives in raid 1 mirror. That will fill all but the
2 SATA and every 3.5" drive bay will be full after I drop in a floppy drive.
and the remaining 5.25" bay will be home to my internal 7-in-1 multi card
reader/writer.

Well, I look forward to next week and will let everyone know how it all
goes.

I've installed WinXP Pro, WinXP 64-bit, and I am planning on installing
Fedora Core test2 64-bit Linux Distro. I am planning install them all on the
160GB WD in different partitions. Also any experience with or pointers to
sites overclocking on the K8N Pro and in particular with the 3000+. Also,
can anyone point me to a driver for the on-board LAN for WinXP 64-Bit? Every
driver I install for this causes a halt and the system becomes the most
secure Windows box it can be (completly unresponsive). Any and all feedback
would be great.

I look forward to hear from you all.

DMF

Calvin Coolidge wrote:
"Nothing in the world can take the place of
persistence. Talent will not.... Genius will not."

Filip

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2003

Actually....as of right now, from what I've heard (don't have the 64-bit
CPU, yet) the Athlon 64's are not very good OCers due to the motherboard
chipsets that are out right now....none of them have a sure lock on the
AGP/PCI bus and therefore that causes instability when attempting to OC.
The new nVidia chipset coming out very soon supposedly resolves this issue
and brings several other new features to the table....I think it's called
nForce3 250 Pro or something like that....anyways, nice pick on hardware,
but why would you install the OS's on the 160GB when you have a RAID setup
on the 2x30's? The RAID setup is usually reserved for the OS's...or do you
have other plans for it? Anyways, just found that interesting how you plan
to set it up. As for the drivers, if the one on the disk supplie to you
with the motherboard didn't work, the ones windows tried to install by
default didn't work, and the most recent one on the manufacturers website
didn't work and they all lock up the computer...sound like either it's a bad
NIC or a bad Windows Install...Try reinstalling windows or maybe checking in
the BIOS setting...maybe the NIC is disabled by default but windows isn't
reading it as disabled and tries to use it but the BIOS won't let it,
heh...good luck...

"DeanF" <dean.faber@rsi-inc.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> I've installed WinXP Pro, WinXP 64-bit, and I am planning on installing
> Fedora Core test2 64-bit Linux Distro. I am planning install them all on
the
> 160GB WD in different partitions. Also any experience with or pointers to
> sites overclocking on the K8N Pro and in particular with the 3000+. Also,
> can anyone point me to a driver for the on-board LAN for WinXP 64-Bit?
Every
> driver I install for this causes a halt and the system becomes the most
> secure Windows box it can be (completly unresponsive). Any and all
feedback
> would be great.
>
> I look forward to hear from you all.
>
> DMF
>
> Calvin Coolidge wrote:
> "Nothing in the world can take the place of
> persistence. Talent will not.... Genius will not."

It's called the Nforce 3-250 and 250 gb for giabit lan. Gigabyte has some
Nforce 3-150 boards that overclock very well without uping the AGP and PCi buss
and causing problems. Chaintech just released a 250 motherboard but a lot of
the 250 features are enabled so it's not a good choice right now. DOUG

The RAID (2x30) is RAID level 1, mirroring. I plan to use the resulting 30GB
partition to store my family photos and video as it will be hard to kill.

I did get the LAN driver issue resolved. Come to find out I havd downloaded
the driver for the wrong card. Got the correct driver installed and all is
well. All hardware is now recognized with good drivers under Windows AMD64.
Even the LPT port that others seem to have soo many issues with. Still, I
don't use it, my printer is USB.

I did find that the Sonic MyDVD software suite that came with my DVD burner
would not install correctly and caused hangs after installation. I had to
boot Win XP 32bit to rename the directory.

Well, gotta leave work to slave away setting up my home system.

DMF