Utility to show memory info ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
BIOS.

Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
data about it without having to look at the memory itself.

I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.

SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

"Piotr Makley" wrote
> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> BIOS.

Hi,

did you try CPU-Z?
--
Wayne ][
<Intel® Pentium® 4 - Online! :p>

steveh

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> BIOS.
>
> Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
>
> I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
>
> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.

The Aida32 (Enterprise Edition) that I'm using tells you manufacturer,
speed, highest CAS, even the week it was made and the serial number if it is
present on the module.
It's on the motherboard/SPD link

HTH
SteveH

Piotr Makley wrote:

> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> BIOS.
>
> Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
>
> I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
>
> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.

Here is an excellent, (free), program that will do the above:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml

Download ctSPD. Don't worry, the program itself can speak English. :)

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

Piotr Makley put fingers to keyboard and typed...

> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> BIOS.
>
> Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
>
> I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
>
> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.

Aida DOES give this information, just click the "Motherboard" icon followed
by the "SPD" one (I'm using version 3.40)

Shabs.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory

go to Motherboard/SPD in Aida

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

Howdy!

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> BIOS.
>
> Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
>
> I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
>
> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.

*blink* You sure about AIDA32?

Did you check the SPD tab? That's where it tells me what the SPD
says about each module.

And yes, SPD does tell you how many and how big. And what the
settings are, probably MORE than you'll ever want to know.

RwP

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> BIOS.
>
> Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
>
> I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
>
> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.
Tried WCPUID? s

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

"S Akky" <nospamforme@themoment.com> wrote in message
> Piotr Makley put fingers to keyboard and typed...
>
> > There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> > BIOS.
> >
> > Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> > data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
> >
> > I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> > manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
> >
> > SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> > but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.
>
> Aida DOES give this information, just click the "Motherboard" icon
followed
> by the "SPD" one (I'm using version 3.40)

Not on mine, comes up blank version 3.93, a bit higher than you
we are talking about the free version here.

"VWWall" <vwall@DEADearthlink.net> wrote in message
> Piotr Makley wrote:
>
> > There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> > BIOS.
> >
> > Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> > data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
> >
> > I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> > manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
> >
> > SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> > but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.
>
> Here is an excellent, (free), program that will do the above:
>
> http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml
>
> Download ctSPD. Don't worry, the program itself can speak English. :)

If your German is a little rusty you might find it quicker to click here.

ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctspd092.zip

"half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "VWWall" <vwall@DEADearthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Piotr Makley wrote:
> >
> > > There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> > > BIOS.
> > >
> > > Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> > > data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
> > >
> > > I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> > > manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
> > >
> > > SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> > > but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.
> >
> > Here is an excellent, (free), program that will do the above:
> >
> > http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml
> >
> > Download ctSPD. Don't worry, the program itself can speak English. :)
>
> If your German is a little rusty you might find it quicker to click here.
>
> ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctspd092.zip

You also might find, as I did, that if just returns

"Chip-set not found."

Not much help really is it?

> > Virg Wall
> > --
> >
> > It is vain to do with more
> > what can be done with fewer.
> > William of Occam.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

"half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "VWWall" <vwall@DEADearthlink.net> wrote in message

>> > Here is an excellent, (free), program that will do the
>> > above:
>> >
>> > http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml
>> >
>> > Download ctSPD. Don't worry, the program itself can speak
>> > English. :)
>>
>> If your German is a little rusty you might find it quicker to
>> click here.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctspd092.zip
>
> You also might find, as I did, that if just returns
>
> "Chip-set not found."
>
> Not much help really is it?

That's the same message as I got.

And what is worse it wont uninstall because of some DLL!

Have you got any info on uninstalling it?

> "half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > "half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "VWWall" <vwall@DEADearthlink.net> wrote in message

> >> If your German is a little rusty you might find it quicker to
> >> click here.
> >>
> >> ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctspd092.zip
> >
> > You also might find, as I did, that if just returns
> >
> > "Chip-set not found."
> >
> > Not much help really is it?
>

> That's the same message as I got.
>
> And what is worse it wont uninstall because of some DLL!
>
> Have you got any info on uninstalling it?

No I have not tried, I normally just leave things like this as it is a small
program.

Actually I just gave it a go on add-remove programs, as I seem to remember
reading thats the way to remove it correctly, it either said that during
it's
installation, or in one of the help files in it's home directory (which you
cannot access via the program due to the error message).
Anyway its gone now without any problems.

First time I have removed a program like that in years!!
I normally just delete it's directory!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> BIOS.
>
> Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
>
> I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
>
> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.

I would be surprised if any program could tell you much about the
memory other than how much you have.
Things such as the number of chips etc sound impossible to me, as
does the manufacturer and serial number etc..
But what do I know?

In article <c5kjrm$2mbar$1@ID-204080.news.uni-berlin.de>, half_pint
<esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> writes

>"half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "VWWall" <vwall@DEADearthlink.net> wrote in message

>> > Here is an excellent, (free), program that will do the above:
>> >
>> > http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml
>> >
>> > Download ctSPD. Don't worry, the program itself can speak English. :)
>>
>> If your German is a little rusty you might find it quicker to click here.
>>
>> ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctspd092.zip
>
>You also might find, as I did, that if just returns
>
>"Chip-set not found."
>
>Not much help really is it?

At least it's in English ... :)
--
Roger Hunt

"Roger Hunt" <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <c5kjrm$2mbar$1@ID-204080.news.uni-berlin.de>, half_pint
> <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> writes
> >
> >"half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "VWWall" <vwall@DEADearthlink.net> wrote in message

:)

> >> If your German is a little rusty you might find it quicker to click
here.

> >> ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctspd092.zip
> >
> >You also might find, as I did, that if just returns
> >
> >"Chip-set not found."
> >
> >Not much help really is it?
> >
> At least it's in English ... :)

Chippenset ist nicht gefunded.?

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
> half_pint wrote:
> > "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> >> There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> >> BIOS.
> >>
> >> Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> >> data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
> >>
> >> I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> >> manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
> >>
> >> SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> >> but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.
> >
> > I would be surprised if any program could tell you much about the
> > memory other than how much you have.
> > Things such as the number of chips etc sound impossible to me, as
> > does the manufacturer and serial number etc..
> > But what do I know?
>
> Not much, obviously. If the module has a SPD chip on it, Aida32 can give
you
> all sorts of info such as:
>
> Serial Number
> Module Size
> Module Type
> Memory Speed
> Module Width
> Memory Voltage
> Error Detection Method
> Refresh rate
> Highest CAS Latency
>
> Plus a whole bunch of other info too numerous to list.

Doesn't appear to tell you the number of chips on the module,
thus chip size.

half_pint wrote:

> "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
>
>>half_pint wrote:
>>
>>>"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message

>>>I would be surprised if any program could tell you much about the
>>>memory other than how much you have.
>>>Things such as the number of chips etc sound impossible to me, as
>>>does the manufacturer and serial number etc..
>>>But what do I know?
>>
>>Not much, obviously. If the module has a SPD chip on it, Aida32 can give
>
> you
>
>>all sorts of info such as:
>>
>>Serial Number
>>Module Size
>>Module Type
>>Memory Speed
>>Module Width
>>Memory Voltage
>>Error Detection Method
>>Refresh rate
>>Highest CAS Latency
>>
>>Plus a whole bunch of other info too numerous to list.
>

> Doesn't appear to tell you the number of chips on the module,
> thus chip size.

No software program can tell you more about your computer than the
computer tells it. It simply gathers and displays information already
in the computer. In the case of memory, some modules do not indicate
all the imformation that can be provided. The program can access the
BIOS and gain information from there, but if it's not somewhere in
your system, no program can create it.

Even those programs that purport to provide quantitative values must
rely on a "standard" in the computer itself for things like voltages
or CPU speeds. This is why the use of a multimeter is necessary to
obtain true PSU voltages. The crystal frequency standards in a PC are
reasonably accurate, so CPU and bus speeds are usually pretty good.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

In article <c5md80$3eeg9$3@ID-204080.news.uni-berlin.de>, half_pint
<esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> writes

>"Roger Hunt" <test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>here.

>> >You also might find, as I did, that if just returns
>> >
>> >"Chip-set not found."
>> >
>> >Not much help really is it?
>> >
>> At least it's in English ... :)
>
>Chippenset ist nicht gefunded.?

<g>
Preceded by "Achtung!" I hope.
--
Roger Hunt

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> "half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> "half_pint" <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "VWWall" <vwall@DEADearthlink.net> wrote in message

>>> If your German is a little rusty you might find it quicker to
>>> click here.
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctspd092.zip
>>
>> You also might find, as I did, that if just returns
>>
>> "Chip-set not found."
>>
>> Not much help really is it?
>

> That's the same message as I got.
>
> And what is worse it wont uninstall because of some DLL!
>
> Have you got any info on uninstalling it?

Did you reboot after you installed it? I did, and I got the same message,
but it uninstalled fine under Add/Remove programs in Control Panel.

I told it to keep the sys file, so I could check it out. It wasn't in use,
so I renamed it, just in case. :eek:)

Vic

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

You didn't need to install the program.I just unpacked double clicked
ctspd.exe and got the memory info.Seemed to work fine. I did not use the
setup installer.-Vic

> "S Akky" <nospamforme@themoment.com> wrote in message
> > Piotr Makley put fingers to keyboard and typed...
> >
> > > There are utiities to show the data of your CPU and also of your
> > > BIOS.
> > >
> > > Is there something to show what RAM memory is installed and some
> > > data about it without having to look at the memory itself.
> > >
> > > I would like to see number of memory sticks installed, type,
> > > manufacturer, capacity, speed, etc.
> > >
> > > SANDRA and Aida32 just report the basic outline stats for memory
> > > but not these details. XP's device manager says almost nothing.
> >
> > Aida DOES give this information, just click the "Motherboard" icon
> followed
> > by the "SPD" one (I'm using version 3.40)
>
> Not on mine, comes up blank version 3.93, a bit higher than you
> we are talking about the free version here.
> >

> > Shabs.

I find CPU-Z gives the best information on your memory - CAS, RAS,
Interleave etc