Athlon XP 2600+ Barton with Arctic Silver 5 worth the hass..

Hi guys,

I just built a new Athlon machine. I must admit I'm not a typical
oc'er but after seeing all the oc'ing options on my motherboard
(A7N8X-E Deluxe)and the fact that my cpu is unlocked, I couldn't
resist. Now I'm addicted. I do know that the performace I gain may
or may not be anything to write home about but it is fun measuring
performace gains, etc :) (Any twelve step programs for oc'ers?)

I'm up to a very modest 340 FSB (baby steps). I'm using the stock hsf
and my in socket temps are at 45c/51c idle/full.

Since I'm already using the stock hsf is it worth the hassle and mess
in switching to something like a Zalman hsf using arctic silver? Has
anybody done this? I know it must be easier with a new cpu. I looked
at the cleaning instructions etc for applying the arctic silver and it
looks like lots of room for error?

So mainly I'm interested in knowing if anybody has gone from the stock
hsf to something else using arctic silver?

On 14 Apr 2004 06:52:40 -0700, Dr. Linux <danieloceaneleven@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Since I'm already using the stock hsf is it worth the hassle and mess
> in switching to something like a Zalman hsf using arctic silver?

No, not if those are your temperatures. They are fine. Leave well and
good alone, as they say!

> Has anybody done this? I know it must be easier with a new cpu. I looked
> at the cleaning instructions etc for applying the arctic silver and it
> looks like lots of room for error?

Arctic Silver is more marketing hype than anything. There are very
little established temp reductions with it versus normnal heat sink
compound. Perhaps 1-2degC at best.

> So mainly I'm interested in knowing if anybody has gone from the stock
> hsf to something else using arctic silver?

Don't bother.

Larry Gagnon

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

"Dr. Linux" <danieloceaneleven@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> I just built a new Athlon machine. I must admit I'm not a typical
> oc'er but after seeing all the oc'ing options on my motherboard
> (A7N8X-E Deluxe)and the fact that my cpu is unlocked, I couldn't
> resist. Now I'm addicted. I do know that the performace I gain may
> or may not be anything to write home about but it is fun measuring
> performace gains, etc :) (Any twelve step programs for oc'ers?)
>
> I'm up to a very modest 340 FSB (baby steps). I'm using the stock hsf
> and my in socket temps are at 45c/51c idle/full.
>
> Since I'm already using the stock hsf is it worth the hassle and mess
> in switching to something like a Zalman hsf using arctic silver? Has
> anybody done this? I know it must be easier with a new cpu. I looked
> at the cleaning instructions etc for applying the arctic silver and it
> looks like lots of room for error?
>
> So mainly I'm interested in knowing if anybody has gone from the stock
> hsf to something else using arctic silver?

you mean 170mhz
Stop doing the baby steps.. if you have pc3200 AND have the memory set in
sync (not a multiplier of the fsb) then try running it at 180/190/200..
You SHOULD be able to put the fsb to 200 without problem really.. Expect the
temps to go up some however.

I use AS5 and it's a VERRY thick/Gooey compound.. Not real easy to work
with. I dont use the stock HSF but 51c full isnt bad so Unless your wanting
to get rid of fan noise then there proably isnt a need for you to change.

Thanks! I'll step up the FSB a bit faster and see what happens. Think I'll
leave the Arctic Silver alone for now.

Dr. Linux