o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
configuration of Jumper settings.
It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

I have Xp Home W/SP2

I appreciate all the help i can get.

--
Mbandgeek

You need to set it up in Disk Management.

Right click My Computer,, Manage, Disk management.

Mbandgeek wrote:

> I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
> everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
> configuration of Jumper settings.
> It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

Partition it, then format it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

What he means it that you need to format it.
Damo

"RonK" <imhere@home.now> wrote in message
> You need to set it up in Disk Management.
>
> Right click My Computer,, Manage, Disk management.
>
> "Mbandgeek" <Mbandgeek.1rmadm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
>> everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
>> configuration of Jumper settings.
>> It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.
>>
>> I have Xp Home W/SP2
>>
>> I appreciate all the help i can get.
>>

>> --
>> Mbandgeek

Barry

well, yes and no...

"Damo" <random@fake.com> wrote in message
> What he means it that you need to format it.
> Damo
>
> "RonK" <imhere@home.now> wrote in message
>> You need to set it up in Disk Management.
>>
>> Right click My Computer,, Manage, Disk management.
>>
>> "Mbandgeek" <Mbandgeek.1rmadm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
>>> everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
>>> configuration of Jumper settings.
>>> It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.
>>>
>>> I have Xp Home W/SP2
>>>
>>> I appreciate all the help i can get.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mbandgeek

anna

"barry" <bmercer@bnota.tk.com> wrote in message
> well, yes and no...

Mbandgeek:
Notwithstanding "barry's" cryptic comment, I would guess that Ron's
recommendation is correct. It's a very common occurrence among users who
purchase a brand-new hard drive, install it in their computer, and then
wonder why it's not "seen" by the system.

Understand that if you've connected/configured the drive properly, as
apparently you have, the disk *will* be recognized by your motherboard's
BIOS and even in Device Manager. But that does not mean that the operating
system will recognize it. As Ron points out you must partition & format that
drive before it is usable.

And forget about the fact that it doesn't "come up as an icon". After you've
partitioned/formatted the drive, check in My Computer and/or Windows
Explorer to ensure the drive is recognized.

Now, having said all that -- if you *have* correctly
connected/configured/partitioned/formatted the disk and it still isn't being
recognized by the OS, that's a different problem...
Anna