o hard drive o hard drive where art thou hard drive?

I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
configuration of Jumper settings.
It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

I have Xp Home W/SP2

I appreciate all the help i can get.

--
Mbandgeek
5 answers Last reply

    You need to set it up in Disk Management.

    Right click My Computer,, Manage, Disk management.

    Mbandgeek wrote:

    > I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
    > everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
    > configuration of Jumper settings.
    > It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.

    Partition it, then format it.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    What he means it that you need to format it.
    Damo

    "RonK" <imhere@home.now> wrote in message
    > You need to set it up in Disk Management.
    >
    > Right click My Computer,, Manage, Disk management.
    >
    > "Mbandgeek" <Mbandgeek.1rmadm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I recently recieved a Maxtor 40 GB Hard drive. i have installed
    >> everything Correctly ie. Power, Cable, ect. I have tried every single
    >> configuration of Jumper settings.
    >> It was reconized in bios, but it wouldn't come up as an icon in Xp.
    >>
    >> I have Xp Home W/SP2
    >>
    >> I appreciate all the help i can get.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mbandgeek

    well, yes and no...

    "barry" <bmercer@bnota.tk.com> wrote in message
    > well, yes and no...

    Mbandgeek:
    Notwithstanding "barry's" cryptic comment, I would guess that Ron's
    recommendation is correct. It's a very common occurrence among users who
    purchase a brand-new hard drive, install it in their computer, and then
    wonder why it's not "seen" by the system.

    Understand that if you've connected/configured the drive properly, as
    apparently you have, the disk *will* be recognized by your motherboard's
    BIOS and even in Device Manager. But that does not mean that the operating
    system will recognize it. As Ron points out you must partition & format that
    drive before it is usable.

    And forget about the fact that it doesn't "come up as an icon". After you've
    partitioned/formatted the drive, check in My Computer and/or Windows
    Explorer to ensure the drive is recognized.

    Now, having said all that -- if you *have* correctly
    connected/configured/partitioned/formatted the disk and it still isn't being
    recognized by the OS, that's a different problem...
    Anna

Hard Drives Windows XP