Using Windows to configure my wirelss network setting

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 15, 2005 1:12:42 PM

When trying to uncheck the "Use Windows to configure my
wireless network setting" dialouge box under the Wireless
Networks Connection Properties in XP Professional SP1 I
get an error message that says "At least one of your
changes was not applied successfully to the wireless
configuration.dAt least one of the Authentication setting
changes was not applied successfully to the configuration"
The message comes up exactly as I typed it including the
d.At which looks like corruption to me.

I found kb article 892087 at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892087 which looks
very close to my problem. Anybody know if this is the
same issue and if so how do I get the hotfix. Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 20, 2005 4:33:41 PM

Is your laptop a member of a domain? This error message would occur if your
network administrator is managing wireless settings for member clients using
Wireless Group Policy. KB#892087 covers the issue, but the operation that
you are attempting is different than the scenario provided in the article.
The article covers the error message from 'adding' a preferred network to
the list. What you are trying to do is disable the service, and your
network administrator has placed a specific restriction against that because
third party software does not honor the group policy settings.

If it is mission critical to install another wireless client, speak to your
network administrator to have him set up a policy exemption for your
computer.

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless