Release date of AMD cpus

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?

I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.
13 answers Last reply
More about release date cpus
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Dave wrote:

    > Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    > models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    >
    > I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.

    This includes others (Intel, Via, etc) but it should do:
    http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_time.html

    --
    eel Tech
    http://someguy456.computed.net/

    Dave wrote:
    > Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    > models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    >
    > I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.

    Umm yeah its on the site under the specific CPU.
    under Product information, on the left there is "Processor Roadmap"

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Yoyoma_2" <Yoyoma_2@[at-]Hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    > > Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    > > models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    > >
    > > I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.
    >
    > Umm yeah its on the site under the specific CPU.
    > under Product information, on the left there is "Processor Roadmap"

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_608,00.html

    I have an amd 386-40

    didn;t see it on that chart <g>

    "Robert Bindler" <someguy456@phreaker.net> wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    > > models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    > >
    > > I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.
    >
    > This includes others (Intel, Via, etc) but it should do:
    > http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_time.html

    Very interesting chart, when you look at bus speeds
    computers are little faster today than they were 10 years
    ago.
    I always wondered by my Sinclair Z80 (colour) seems
    as good as a modern computer.
    I wonder how much a Z80 cpu is these days, last I
    heard was a £1 but they may have a rareity value now.

    > --
    > eel Tech
    > http://someguy456.computed.net/

    "Robert Bindler" <someguy456@phreaker.net> wrote in message
    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    > > models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    > >
    > > I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.
    >
    > This includes others (Intel, Via, etc) but it should do:
    > http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_time.html

    Very interesting chart, when you look at bus speeds
    computers are little faster today than they were 10 years
    ago.
    I always wondered by my Sinclair Z80 (colour) seems
    as good as a modern computer.
    I wonder how much a Z80 cpu is these days, last I
    heard was a £1 but they may have a rareity value now.

    MEssage reposted due to absense.

    > --
    > eel Tech
    > http://someguy456.computed.net/

    Robert Bindler <someguy456@phreaker.net> wrote:

    >> Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    >> models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    >>
    >> I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.
    >
    > This includes others (Intel, Via, etc) but it should do:
    > http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_time.html

    I dug around a bit and came across this useful web site
    http://www.sandpile.org/impl/k7.htm
    I copied the data listed there to an Excel spreadsheet so I can
    sort by date or by processor speed or by processor family. I
    reowrked it a l otto make it more readable. Here it is:

    http://194.168.54.52/access.public/AMD_cpu.zip (7 KB)

    Can anyone spot any inaccuracies or changes which they feel I
    should make.

    I am not trying to duplicate an AMD spec sheet.
    http://tinyurl.com/7a2s (6 MB)

    In fact, as a relative newbie to AMD processor families, all I am
    trying to do is to understand all these Palominos and Thunderbirds
    and all that, especially as the ranges overlapped in speed.

    What I would really like to add to that chart is typical or max
    power usage for each processor but I have worn myself out!

    Any offers? :-)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

    > I have an amd 386-40
    >
    > didn;t see it on that chart <g>

    This isn't written by you is it?

    http://makeashorterlink.com/?C17115708
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "||| - -\/- |||||||" <wayto@go> wrote in message
    > "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
    >

    > > I have an amd 386-40
    > >
    > > didn;t see it on that chart <g>
    > >

    > This isn't written by you is it?
    >
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?C17115708

    no...
    i am rather a computer newbie...(started with a p1 in late 1999)

    the 386-40 is a rather newer addition to my antique software collection.
    it has 16 megs of ram and runs win95 quite well.
    believe it or not...by pulling a few tricks...i put it on a 40meg harddrive!

    btw: most of my machines are AMD based
    not knocking Intel at all...simply use AMD because they work quite well
    and cost less.

    btw: one comment i always get about AMD is that they run hotter than
    Intel...
    that's true but of course it does not mean there's anything bad about it...

    i;ve had a couple of cpu cooling fans go during the past few years...
    and though the cpu got too hot too touch...did not fail!

    philo
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:32:17 +0100, "half_pint"
    <esboella.nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Robert Bindler" <someguy456@phreaker.net> wrote in message
    >> Dave wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    >> > models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    >> >
    >> > I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.
    >>
    >> This includes others (Intel, Via, etc) but it should do:
    >> http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_time.html
    >>

    >Very interesting chart, when you look at bus speeds
    >computers are little faster today than they were 10 years
    >ago.
    >I always wondered by my Sinclair Z80 (colour) seems
    >as good as a modern computer.

    Of course the average gif banner on a web page is considerably larger
    than the memory a Z80 can address (without paging hardware).

    >I wonder how much a Z80 cpu is these days, last I
    >heard was a £1 but they may have a rareity value now.

    Z80s are comming back in afor microcontroller use. You can get
    practically a whole system for a couple of quid. its a Z80 based CPU
    with DACs memory, the whole works on a single chip.

    One thing about the Z80 was that is was a doddle to write good code
    for it.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Bagpuss wrote:
    > Z80s are comming back in afor microcontroller use. You can get
    > practically a whole system for a couple of quid. its a Z80 based CPU
    > with DACs memory, the whole works on a single chip.
    >
    > One thing about the Z80 was that is was a doddle to write good code
    > for it.

    YEah but when it comes to microcontrollers, no one can beat the adoption
    of the M68HC11 controller boards. Their everywhere and full of
    features. The new ones have built-in ethernet.

    Honeywell makes good ones too, from what I hear.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 00:38:05 +0100, Dave <not@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >Robert Bindler <someguy456@phreaker.net> wrote:
    >
    >>> Is there a chart which shows approximately when the different
    >>> models of Duron and Athlon processors were released?
    >>>
    >>> I can't find anything like this on the AMD site.
    >>
    >> This includes others (Intel, Via, etc) but it should do:
    >> http://www.tom.womack.net/x86FAQ/faq_time.html
    >
    >I dug around a bit and came across this useful web site
    > http://www.sandpile.org/impl/k7.htm
    >I copied the data listed there to an Excel spreadsheet so I can
    >sort by date or by processor speed or by processor family. I
    >reowrked it a l otto make it more readable. Here it is:
    >
    >http://194.168.54.52/access.public/AMD_cpu.zip (7 KB)
    >
    >Can anyone spot any inaccuracies or changes which they feel I
    >should make.
    >
    >I am not trying to duplicate an AMD spec sheet.
    >http://tinyurl.com/7a2s (6 MB)
    >
    >In fact, as a relative newbie to AMD processor families, all I am
    >trying to do is to understand all these Palominos and Thunderbirds
    >and all that, especially as the ranges overlapped in speed.
    >
    >What I would really like to add to that chart is typical or max
    >power usage for each processor but I have worn myself out!
    >
    >Any offers? :-)

    nice list here too...
    http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

    Cheers,
    Ed
    --

    Duron - Spitfire (@1.60V)
    MHz Max Typical

    Athlon - Thunderbird (@1.75V)
    MHz Max Typical
    650 38 34
    700 40 36
    750 43 38
    800 45 40
    850 47 42
    900 50 44
    950 52 47
    1000 54 49
    1100 60 54
    1133 63 56
    1200 66 59
    1300 68 61
    1333 70 63
    1400 72 65

    Athlon XP - Palomino (@1.75V)
    Model MHz Max - Typical
    1500+ 1333MHz 60.0W - 53.8W
    1600+ 1400MHz 62.8W - 56.3W
    1700+ 1467MHz 64.0W - 57.4W
    1800+ 1533MHz 66.0W - 59.2W
    1900+ 1600MHz 68.0W - 60.7W
    2000+ 1667MHz 70.0W - 62.5W
    2100+ 1733MHz 72.0W - 64.3W
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > btw: one comment i always get about AMD is that they run hotter than
    > Intel...
    > that's true but of course it does not mean there's anything bad about it...

    ....where did you hear that?

    ~wm
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,uk.comp.vendors,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:51:11 -0500, "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

    >no...
    >i am rather a computer newbie...(started with a p1 in late 1999)
    >
    >the 386-40 is a rather newer addition to my antique software collection.
    >it has 16 megs of ram and runs win95 quite well.
    >believe it or not...by pulling a few tricks...i put it on a 40meg harddrive!
    >
    >btw: most of my machines are AMD based
    >not knocking Intel at all...simply use AMD because they work quite well
    >and cost less.
    >
    >btw: one comment i always get about AMD is that they run hotter than
    >Intel...
    >that's true but of course it does not mean there's anything bad about it...
    >
    >i;ve had a couple of cpu cooling fans go during the past few years...
    >and though the cpu got too hot too touch...did not fail!
    >
    >philo

    It's not necessarily true that AMD CPUs run hotter.

    The Athlon XP will idle hotter if the motherboard's BIOS disables the
    bus-disconnect (or doesn't enable it, whichever way you like to look at
    it) but if that is enabled the idle temp is quite lower, within reasonable
    distance of a P4, though perhaps still a little hotter.

    However, at full load the high-end P4 chips run hotter than Athlon XP,
    including Northwood and even moreso Prescott.

    Then if we consider Athlon 64, the P4 is MUCH hotter at full load and
    closer, but perhaps a bit hotter at idle.

    Keep in mind these are "moving targets" since each 'sink could be retail
    or other and that top speed per core could be compared or equivalent
    performance overall or any combination of factors. I only meant to
    provide a rough estimate.

AMD Hardware Overclocking