IEEE1394 and other Hardware Problems

I've done my share of research but can't seem to find a fix to make a
firewire (Maxtor One Touch, first gen) work in XP. Not only dioes it install
as a network adapter , slowing down connections, but even after removing
hardware, it still keeps asking on every reboot to reinstall drivers.

I know MS and Adaptec are no friends and I also read that 1394 support in XP
SP2 is shabby, but what are the workarounds here? My soundcard (E-mu /
Creative 1820) has a firewire port, so even if I don't want to use the port ,
I need to find a fex.

Thanks
Frank
7 answers Last reply
More about ieee1394 hardware problems

    Trackfan504 wrote:
    > I've done my share of research but can't seem to find a fix to make a
    > firewire (Maxtor One Touch, first gen) work in XP. Not only dioes it
    > install as a network adapter , slowing down connections, but even
    > after removing hardware, it still keeps asking on every reboot to
    > reinstall drivers.
    >
    > I know MS and Adaptec are no friends and I also read that 1394
    > support in XP SP2 is shabby, but what are the workarounds here? My
    > soundcard (E-mu / Creative 1820) has a firewire port, so even if I
    > don't want to use the port , I need to find a fex.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Frank

    I don't know for sure if this is your problem or not, do alittle more
    research before you install it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ca0f2007-18b5-4112-8bd6-8bf4bd3130b9&displaylang=en

    --
    Mike Pawlak

    Some say reverting back to SP1 drivers for firewire works, Google for
    it.
    Or you can look here;
    'RAM means Connectivity'
    (http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_support.html#4)
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    I've tried both tips a couple of weeks ago and did install without luck. My
    OS may have other issues. The whole PnP, Bios, IRQ steering thing has become
    rather messy.

    Thanks for the tips

    "Treeman" wrote:

    > Some say reverting back to SP1 drivers for firewire works, Google for
    > it.
    > Or you can look here;
    > 'RAM means Connectivity'
    > (http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/ieee-1394_support.html#4)
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    Note: On all XP PC's I worked, the IEEE1394 connection has always should up
    as a "network connection". Also, I've noticed if you have SP1 or SP2,
    disable the Windows Firewall on that network device (not your NIC). Lastly,
    I've got both the OneTouch and OneTouch II (250/300GB respectively) and both
    perform better with the USB 2.0 connection than the IEEE1394 anyway - guess
    what, I use the USB connections.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "Trackfan504" <Trackfan504@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've done my share of research but can't seem to find a fix to make a
    > firewire (Maxtor One Touch, first gen) work in XP. Not only dioes it
    > install
    > as a network adapter , slowing down connections, but even after removing
    > hardware, it still keeps asking on every reboot to reinstall drivers.
    >
    > I know MS and Adaptec are no friends and I also read that 1394 support in
    > XP
    > SP2 is shabby, but what are the workarounds here? My soundcard (E-mu /
    > Creative 1820) has a firewire port, so even if I don't want to use the
    > port ,
    > I need to find a fex.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Frank

    Admiral

    I have USB issues as well, loosing mouse and keyboard intermittingly. But
    back to the 1394, my soundcard has a firewire port, whether I use it or not,
    Windows tries to install drivers for 1394. Having a secondary 'network'
    adapter instead of a bushost slows down internet access for me. So for now I
    took the card out until I find a fix.

    Hi ,

    I have a Pentuim 4 PC, and I have IEEE1394 with firewire cable installed,
    and a DVC JVC model GR DVL 318 , and SP2 . I used it many times to Edit my
    videos with windows movie maker and Adobe Premier. and Lately my Hard drive
    broke so i had to replace it and reinstall windows xp again, since then my
    IEEE 1394 would not recognise the DVC at all. I tried evrything including
    reinstalling winxp and checking device manager,changing the IEEE 1394 card,
    reinstalling drivers and I am so stress for not being able to find out what
    the problem is. I also tried a different DVC brand(canon mv6i) .
    Would you please help me with your experience....?

    Thanks Mates

    Is the port actually on the motherboard itself? If so, did you remember to
    reinstall the motherboard chipset utility drivers after the reinstall of XP?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Simo" <aitballa@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Hi ,
    >
    > I have a Pentuim 4 PC, and I have IEEE1394 with firewire cable installed,
    > and a DVC JVC model GR DVL 318 , and SP2 . I used it many times to Edit my
    > videos with windows movie maker and Adobe Premier. and Lately my Hard
    > drive
    > broke so i had to replace it and reinstall windows xp again, since then my
    > IEEE 1394 would not recognise the DVC at all. I tried evrything including
    > reinstalling winxp and checking device manager,changing the IEEE 1394
    > card,
    > reinstalling drivers and I am so stress for not being able to find out
    > what
    > the problem is. I also tried a different DVC brand(canon mv6i) .
    > Would you please help me with your experience....?
    >
    > Thanks Mates

Hardware Firewire Windows XP