USB Flash Drives Malfunction

Hi all,

Recently, whenever I connect a USB flash drive to my PC Windows displays
it as an 'unknown device' and says it can't be recognised and has
malfunctioned. I have used 2 separate USB flash drives which are both
different makes and different sizes, but both come up with this error. I
have tried both on different USB ports and the result is the same. I
tried both on different PCs, and they worked fine. I've connected other
USB devices, such as headsets and external hard drives with no problems,
it just seems to be flash drives.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my USB controllers but to no
avail, still says they've both malfunctioned. I'm using XP SP2.

Any help appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about flash drives malfunction

    Tom <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >Recently, whenever I connect a USB flash drive to my PC Windows displays
    >it as an 'unknown device' and says it can't be recognised and has
    >malfunctioned. I have used 2 separate USB flash drives which are both
    >different makes and different sizes, but both come up with this error. I
    >have tried both on different USB ports and the result is the same. I
    >tried both on different PCs, and they worked fine. I've connected other
    >USB devices, such as headsets and external hard drives with no problems,
    >it just seems to be flash drives.
    >
    >I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my USB controllers but to no
    >avail, still says they've both malfunctioned. I'm using XP SP2.

    Check for hidden entries that are related to the sticks in the Device
    Manager and delete them. Restart Windows and retry.
    "Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not Connected to the
    Windows XP-Based Computer"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315539). Also see "General USB
    troubleshooting in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575).

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233

    Thorsten Matzner wrote:
    > Tom <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Recently, whenever I connect a USB flash drive to my PC Windows displays
    >>it as an 'unknown device' and says it can't be recognised and has
    >>malfunctioned. I have used 2 separate USB flash drives which are both
    >>different makes and different sizes, but both come up with this error. I
    >>have tried both on different USB ports and the result is the same. I
    >>tried both on different PCs, and they worked fine. I've connected other
    >>USB devices, such as headsets and external hard drives with no problems,
    >>it just seems to be flash drives.
    >>
    >>I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my USB controllers but to no
    >>avail, still says they've both malfunctioned. I'm using XP SP2.
    >

    > Check for hidden entries that are related to the sticks in the Device
    > Manager and delete them. Restart Windows and retry.
    > "Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not Connected to the
    > Windows XP-Based Computer"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315539). Also see "General USB
    > troubleshooting in Windows XP"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575).

    Thank you for your help.

    I did as suggested in the first link. After restarting, when I reconnect
    it comes up with 'New Hardware Found', 'Unknown Device' quickly followed
    by the same 'device has malfunctioned/not recognised' balloon, with both
    drives.

    Is this something that a reinstall of Windows could cure? Could it be
    something in the BIOS (although this seems unlikely, as many other
    different types of USB devices I have work)?

    Hi Tom,

    It's really bothersome issue happens to you.

    I noticed that other USB devices can connected to your PC successfully, so
    I suspect this issue may relate to the USB Flash. In my opinion, before we
    go further to troubleshoot the OS, you may try my suggestions as below:

    1. Try to connect the 2 USB Flash Drives to another PC with the same
    environment.

    2. Go to the site of the Motherboard of your PC to see if they are any
    updates related.

    There is also some necessary information we need to know before
    troubleshoot:

    1. Whether the Windows XP on your PC is upgrade from pre-version Windows or
    not?

    2. Is the USB Flash Device for USB v2.0 or v1.1 ?

    3. Is it a front USB connection or a Rear USB connection?

    Actually, based on my experience, this issue also may be caused by the
    Power of the USB connection, and you may check it at first.

    At last, I find an article may relate to your issue, I copy the link here
    for your convenience:

    328580 PRB: USB 2.0 Issues with Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328580

    I hope these suggestions can helps, thank you for using Microsoft Newsgroup.

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------

    Vincent Xu [MSFT] wrote:
    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > It's really bothersome issue happens to you.
    >
    > I noticed that other USB devices can connected to your PC successfully, so
    > I suspect this issue may relate to the USB Flash. In my opinion, before we
    > go further to troubleshoot the OS, you may try my suggestions as below:
    >
    > 1. Try to connect the 2 USB Flash Drives to another PC with the same
    > environment.

    Have done so, both flash drives work fine.

    > 2. Go to the site of the Motherboard of your PC to see if they are any
    > updates related.

    I checked, and there are none. It's a Gigabyte GA-7S748-L if that's any
    help.

    > There is also some necessary information we need to know before
    > troubleshoot:
    >
    > 1. Whether the Windows XP on your PC is upgrade from pre-version Windows or
    > not?

    It was a clean Windows XP install.

    > 2. Is the USB Flash Device for USB v2.0 or v1.1 ?

    Both USB 2.0.

    > 3. Is it a front USB connection or a Rear USB connection?

    I've tried both my front USB connections and rear USB connections, and
    both produce the same problem.

    > Actually, based on my experience, this issue also may be caused by the
    > Power of the USB connection, and you may check it at first.

    The flash drives did initially work on this PC, however. Only in the
    last few days have I had this problem. Initially I thought my USB drive
    had died, so I used another, and the result was the same. After trying
    them on other PCs, they still worked.

    Hi Tom,

    Based on my experience, you may try following suggestions:

    Suggestion 1:
    =================================
    Create another new user profile to test

    1) Log on as the Administrator or as a user with administrator credentials.
    2) Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3) Click User Accounts.
    4) Click the Advanced tab, and then click Advanced.
    5) In the left pane, click the Users folder.
    6) On the Action menu, click New User.
    7) Enter the appropriate user information, and then click Create.
    8) Logon with the new user account to see if the issue occurs in the user
    profile. If the problem occurs, please go to the next step.

    Suggestion 2:
    ===============================
    You may start your computer in safe mode to see if this issue occurs. And
    the step to boot into safe mode is below:

    Safe Mode loads a minimally protected-mode configuration, disabling Windows
    device drivers and using the standard VGA display adapter.

    1. Restart the computer.
    2. Keep pressing F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.
    3. Choose the Safe Mode with Network, and press Enter.

    Note: Some third party applications and some hardware device cannot be used
    during Safe Mode. You will temporarily be unable to connect to the Internet
    temporarily while in Safe Mode.

    If this issue disappears in the safe mode, I suspect that it is related to
    some third-party services or programs. You may Use Clean Boot to eliminate
    third party interference Boot into Clean Boot environment. Steps are below.

    1. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
    the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button.
    4. Click OK and restart your computer.

    310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

    Suggestion 3:
    =========================
    I'm not sure it may relate to the USB conncetor's corruption, but I suggest
    you contact the Motherboard Manufacture to check it first.

    I hope these suggestions can helps

    Best regards,

    Vincent Xu
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | From: Tom <nospam@nospam.com>
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
    | Subject: Re: USB Flash Drives Malfunction
    | Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:37:30 GMT
    |
    | Vincent Xu [MSFT] wrote:
    | > Hi Tom,
    | >
    | > It's really bothersome issue happens to you.
    | >
    | > I noticed that other USB devices can connected to your PC successfully,
    so
    | > I suspect this issue may relate to the USB Flash. In my opinion, before
    we
    | > go further to troubleshoot the OS, you may try my suggestions as below:
    | >
    | > 1. Try to connect the 2 USB Flash Drives to another PC with the same
    | > environment.
    | >

    | Have done so, both flash drives work fine.
    |
    | > 2. Go to the site of the Motherboard of your PC to see if they are any
    | > updates related.
    | >

    | I checked, and there are none. It's a Gigabyte GA-7S748-L if that's any
    | help.
    |
    | > There is also some necessary information we need to know before
    | > troubleshoot:
    | >
    | > 1. Whether the Windows XP on your PC is upgrade from pre-version
    Windows or
    | > not?
    | >

    | It was a clean Windows XP install.
    |
    | > 2. Is the USB Flash Device for USB v2.0 or v1.1 ?
    | >

    | Both USB 2.0.
    |
    | > 3. Is it a front USB connection or a Rear USB connection?
    | >

    | I've tried both my front USB connections and rear USB connections, and
    | both produce the same problem.
    |
    | > Actually, based on my experience, this issue also may be caused by the
    | > Power of the USB connection, and you may check it at first.
    | >

    | The flash drives did initially work on this PC, however. Only in the
    | last few days have I had this problem. Initially I thought my USB drive
    | had died, so I used another, and the result was the same. After trying
    | them on other PCs, they still worked.

    what about drivers for the actual flash drives?

    "Tom" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently, whenever I connect a USB flash drive to my PC Windows displays
    > it as an 'unknown device' and says it can't be recognised and has
    > malfunctioned. I have used 2 separate USB flash drives which are both
    > different makes and different sizes, but both come up with this error. I
    > have tried both on different USB ports and the result is the same. I tried
    > both on different PCs, and they worked fine. I've connected other USB
    > devices, such as headsets and external hard drives with no problems, it
    > just seems to be flash drives.
    >
    > I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my USB controllers but to no
    > avail, still says they've both malfunctioned. I'm using XP SP2.
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    I am having the same problem with my girlfriends PC, exactly as
    described in this post, USB Flash drives work in another PC, and OTHER
    devices like printers will work on the pc in the same ports that the
    USB flash drives wont. i tried removing usb controllers but i get
    unknown device and device has malfunctioned. this ONLY HAPPENS with
    flash drives. GRRRRRR. has anyone found a fix for this, i have done
    BIOS updates and chipset updates. still no good. please someone follow
    up.

    Hi,

    It seems that quite a number of people have exactly the same problem :

    a) USB mass storage disk works correctly on all PCs
    b) All the sudden (security fix or what ?) they are shown as 'unrecognized
    devices' on ONE of the computers, but still work on the other XP SP2 computers
    c) Other USB has no problem, only mass storage devices.

    I have two Freecom USB disks, and an Apple iPOD 60 GB, all doing the same on
    my main computer, but all OK on my other machines (Portable in USB 2, old PC
    in USB1.1, office desktop USB2)

    Could you please have this become a case for Microsoft ?

    You can also quote the threads 'XP Pro and USB memory Devices','no driver
    for mass storage devices' and quite a number of others - just look here for
    'unknown usb' or just Google for it.

    In the following thread only, multiple persons have the same problem
    http://forums.devshed.com/t124914/s.html

    This CALLS for a Microsoft proper investigation and solution.

    "Vincent Xu [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
    > |
    > | > There is also some necessary information we need to know before
    > | > troubleshoot:
    > | >
    > | > 1. Whether the Windows XP on your PC is upgrade from pre-version
    > Windows or
    > | > not?
    > | >

    > | It was a clean Windows XP install.
    > |
    > | > 2. Is the USB Flash Device for USB v2.0 or v1.1 ?
    > | >

    > | Both USB 2.0.
    > |
    > | > 3. Is it a front USB connection or a Rear USB connection?
    > | >

    > | I've tried both my front USB connections and rear USB connections, and
    > | both produce the same problem.
    > |
    > | > Actually, based on my experience, this issue also may be caused by the
    > | > Power of the USB connection, and you may check it at first.
    > | >

    > | The flash drives did initially work on this PC, however. Only in the
    > | last few days have I had this problem. Initially I thought my USB drive
    > | had died, so I used another, and the result was the same. After trying

    I tried making a new profiles, still no good, i tried safe mode no
    good, and i also tried motherboard updates, no good, why would
    motherboard updates make a difference when it worked fine before?

USB Flash Windows XP