H5555 discontinued

July 23, 2004 8:34:08 PM

Does anyone have an opinion why HP's H5555 was discontinued ?

Henry

More about : h5555 discontinued

Anonymous
July 23, 2004 8:34:09 PM

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:34:08 GMT, "Henry" <NoSpam@Someone.net> wrote:

>Does anyone have an opinion why HP's H5555 was discontinued ?
Because CF wanted to aggrevate you.

July 23, 2004 8:34:09 PM

I believe HP dropped the 5xxx line in favor of the new
line of iPAQ's and Windows Mobile 2003 SE, see my other post
for specs on those new iPAQ's.
Guess is they didn't want to provide the 2003 SE updates
to the 'older' (Haha! oh sorry) line of iPAQ's because
of time/money/maintenance/support considerations and just
decided to go with a whole new line of devices in an
attempt to make the consumer drool over HP devices again.

~S.

"Henry" <NoSpam@Someone.net> wrote in news:46bMc.659$qY1.181
@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

This totally angers me. I just purchased this top of the line iPAQ, only to
find out that HP will NOT be offering the upgrade to WM2k3SE. There is a
petition going around asking/begging/pleading with HP to reconsider their
business decision to totally drop those of us who own 5500s. I can't
believe that a PPC that was "top of the line" less than a year ago is so
obsolete technologically that an upgrade can't be offered.

I will seriously have to reconsider if HP is truly the best choice for PPCs
in the future, with their lack of customer support.

I invite you to sign the petition also at
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html

I don't know if it will make any difference, but I think that the more iPAQ
owners that let HP know that they are not happy, the more likely it will be
for them to think again about their decision not to offer the upgrade.
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 6:10:04 AM

My 5550 is around 4 months old and i'm really not happy about
it either, as I was when I found out that HP was also stopping
production on the expansion sleeves.
I've already signed the petition, and i've also shown my face
in HP's IT forums to show my dissatisfaction about their 'ways'.
I never expected a machine I bought to be brand new to be wiped
off the face of the earth so soon. I had it happen once before
though with a Psion 5mx. but at least that lasted 2 years first
before they froze production. (and not drop production)
Result: no more compatible software, no more expansions, etc.
I did manage to get my screen cable replaced but that's about it.
For me it's not so much the upgrade as it is the principle of
the matter with HP. their lack of customer consideration is far
to be sought in this case and it angers a lot of people.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

MARVIN SAMIANO wrote:
> This totally angers me. I just purchased this top of the line iPAQ, only to
> find out that HP will NOT be offering the upgrade to WM2k3SE. There is a
> petition going around asking/begging/pleading with HP to reconsider their
> business decision to totally drop those of us who own 5500s. I can't
> believe that a PPC that was "top of the line" less than a year ago is so
> obsolete technologically that an upgrade can't be offered.
>
> I will seriously have to reconsider if HP is truly the best choice for PPCs
> in the future, with their lack of customer support.
>
> I invite you to sign the petition also at
> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
>
> I don't know if it will make any difference, but I think that the more iPAQ
> owners that let HP know that they are not happy, the more likely it will be
> for them to think again about their decision not to offer the upgrade.

I was similarly turned off by HP. Had a digital camera and needed to
replace the picture counter window--a little piece of clear plastic
probably worth less than a dollar--and they wanted $149!!! Their
explanation when I assumed they thought I meant the lense rather than
the picture counter window was that while the part in question was
relatively cheap, there was lots of time involved etc. They wouldn't
just sell me the part either. I think HP has lost touch with how many
people make purchase decisions. I had a wonderful experience with Dell
when I bought--and then had a problem with--a portable form them three
years ago. For myself and family, I have now bought four computers and
an Axim X5 from Dell and would not consider any other company simply
because of the awesome service I've received from them when trouble arose.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 4:46:06 PM

"TS Mathews" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> MARVIN SAMIANO wrote:
> > This totally angers me. I just purchased this top of the line iPAQ,
only to
> > find out that HP will NOT be offering the upgrade to WM2k3SE. There is
> > petition going around asking/begging/pleading with HP to reconsider
their
> > business decision to totally drop those of us who own 5500s. I can't
> > believe that a PPC that was "top of the line" less than a year ago is so
> > obsolete technologically that an upgrade can't be offered.
> >
> > I will seriously have to reconsider if HP is truly the best choice for
PPCs
> > in the future, with their lack of customer support.
> >
> > I invite you to sign the petition also at
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> >
> > I don't know if it will make any difference, but I think that the more
iPAQ
> > owners that let HP know that they are not happy, the more likely it will
be
> > for them to think again about their decision not to offer the upgrade.
> >

> I was similarly turned off by HP. Had a digital camera and needed to
> replace the picture counter window--a little piece of clear plastic
> probably worth less than a dollar--and they wanted $149!!! Their
> explanation when I assumed they thought I meant the lense rather than
> the picture counter window was that while the part in question was
> relatively cheap, there was lots of time involved etc. They wouldn't
> just sell me the part either. I think HP has lost touch with how many
> people make purchase decisions. I had a wonderful experience with Dell
> when I bought--and then had a problem with--a portable form them three
> years ago. For myself and family, I have now bought four computers and
> an Axim X5 from Dell and would not consider any other company simply
> because of the awesome service I've received from them when trouble arose.

Isn't Dell opting for a new line instead of upgrading the Axim X3 and X5,
also?

It seems each upgrade brings new meaning to "the grass is greener on the
other side."

When I was looking into purchasing my first PocketPC I chose HP because they
had offered previous customers an upgrade from 2002 to 2003 while other
companies had chosen not to.

Now that 2003SE has come out, the tables appear to have turned.

Amazing. Less than a year ago I bought two 2210's and I can't even upgrade
to 2003SE.

Over 5 years ago I bought a computer with an AMD Athlon 500Mhz and am still
able to upgrade that, relatively painlessly to the newest offering from
Microsoft, any flavor of Linux, BSD, etc. I would have thought my Desktop
would have become non upgradeable long before my Pocket PC.

I also noticed that HP will give me $50 trade in value for my 2210 in
excellent condition, but will be willing to sell me a refurbished one for
just over $200 Hmmm. How much work is involved in that?

How does this sound? Anyone out there that wants to sell me their iPaq 2210
for $50 just send me an email. Later I'll list them all for sale for $200
just in case you want them back.

--
Parley D. Kennelly
Southern California Realtor®

For kicks after reading up in the forum for 2003SE on HP's forums I
looked up the trade in price for my 'old' 5550.
I'm amazed at the trade in value for my iPAQ as well. I paid $1050.87 in
total to finally get a h5550 shipped to my house, and that was AFTER
a $123.60 discount. HP will only give %175 for a 6 month old, mint
condition iPAQ. ofcourse it's still in stores for a good $740.
Not that i'm going to trade in, they won't get that satisfaction from me
and the device suits me perfectly.
It gets a polishing and goes straight back into the box after a simple
hardware test. I've worked RMA's for a computer company before so I know
its definately that easy to get your money out of your 'traded' products.

~S.

"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Isn't Dell opting for a new line instead of upgrading the Axim X3 and
> X5, also?
>
> It seems each upgrade brings new meaning to "the grass is greener on the
> other side."
>
> When I was looking into purchasing my first PocketPC I chose HP because
> they had offered previous customers an upgrade from 2002 to 2003 while
> other companies had chosen not to.
>
> Now that 2003SE has come out, the tables appear to have turned.
>
> Amazing. Less than a year ago I bought two 2210's and I can't even
> upgrade to 2003SE.
>
> Over 5 years ago I bought a computer with an AMD Athlon 500Mhz and am
> still able to upgrade that, relatively painlessly to the newest offering
> from Microsoft, any flavor of Linux, BSD, etc. I would have thought my
> Desktop would have become non upgradeable long before my Pocket PC.
>
> I also noticed that HP will give me $50 trade in value for my 2210 in
> excellent condition, but will be willing to sell me a refurbished one
> for just over $200 Hmmm. How much work is involved in that?
>
> How does this sound? Anyone out there that wants to sell me their iPaq
> 2210 for $50 just send me an email. Later I'll list them all for sale
> for $200 just in case you want them back.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:57:10 AM

make that a $, and not a %.

~S.

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

I think I preferred %

;-)))

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 02:57:10 -0700, "ACE!!!"
<ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote:

>make that a $, and not a %.
>

>~S.
>

>"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> %175
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 1:45:48 PM

What about a CLASS ACTION SUIT against HP? Many of us paid premium dollars
to obtain an h5555 only to have it become obsolete in less than a year.
Seems as if HP knew ahead of time about Windows Mobile 2003 SE and made a
decision to bleed their loyal customers. Doubt Compaq would have treated us
this way. In any event, any lawyers or attorneys interested in pursuing the
class action suit angle? Without SE upgrade, legacy owners must pay an
obscene amount to merely compensate for missing but necessary features from
the original Win Mobile.

J Trigilio

>> > I invite you to sign the petition also at
>> > http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:50:30 AM

It's not obsolete, it still works exactly as it did when you bought it. If
there is any fault here it is yours- you bought something that was
unsuitable for yourself. Take responsibility for *your* choice, no-one made
you buy.

"John Trigilio" <fr.trigilio@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:o ZLO2nCkEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> What about a CLASS ACTION SUIT against HP? Many of us paid premium
dollars
> to obtain an h5555 only to have it become obsolete in less than a year.
> Seems as if HP knew ahead of time about Windows Mobile 2003 SE and made a
> decision to bleed their loyal customers. Doubt Compaq would have treated
us
> this way. In any event, any lawyers or attorneys interested in pursuing
the
> class action suit angle? Without SE upgrade, legacy owners must pay an
> obscene amount to merely compensate for missing but necessary features
from
> the original Win Mobile.
>
> J Trigilio

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 2:49:01 AM

But it's a fact now that it is obsolete in terms of support and updates.
I find that rather disgusting for the $1045 I paid for it 5.5 months ago.
I bought it because I knew (or thought, because of the history) there
would be updates, and that it would last me at least more than two years.
Highly surprising that didn't happen.

~S.

"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in

> It's not obsolete, it still works exactly as it did when you bought it.
> If there is any fault here it is yours- you bought something that was
> unsuitable for yourself. Take responsibility for *your* choice, no-one
> made you buy.
>

> "John Trigilio" <fr.trigilio@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:o ZLO2nCkEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> What about a CLASS ACTION SUIT against HP? Many of us paid premium
> dollars
>> to obtain an h5555 only to have it become obsolete in less than a year.
>> Seems as if HP knew ahead of time about Windows Mobile 2003 SE and made
>> a decision to bleed their loyal customers. Doubt Compaq would have
>> treated
> us
>> this way. In any event, any lawyers or attorneys interested in
>> pursuing
> the
>> class action suit angle? Without SE upgrade, legacy owners must pay an
>> obscene amount to merely compensate for missing but necessary features
> from
>> the original Win Mobile.
>>
>> J Trigilio

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
HTTP://www.xarane.com
======================
Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
9897 Total Signatures on Tuesday, Aug. 24th 2004!
HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 10:25:57 AM

Wow, $1045? I paid $699 the day it came out. The device isnt going to stop
working. It's a term, end of life, doesnt mean its going to die ;)

Mitch

"ACE!!!" <ace_rules_bbs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> But it's a fact now that it is obsolete in terms of support and updates.
> I find that rather disgusting for the $1045 I paid for it 5.5 months ago.
> I bought it because I knew (or thought, because of the history) there
> would be updates, and that it would last me at least more than two years.
> Highly surprising that didn't happen.
>

> ~S.
>

> "AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> It's not obsolete, it still works exactly as it did when you bought it.
>> If there is any fault here it is yours- you bought something that was
>> unsuitable for yourself. Take responsibility for *your* choice, no-one
>> made you buy.
>>

>> "John Trigilio" <fr.trigilio@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:o ZLO2nCkEHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> What about a CLASS ACTION SUIT against HP? Many of us paid premium
>> dollars
>>> to obtain an h5555 only to have it become obsolete in less than a year.
>>> Seems as if HP knew ahead of time about Windows Mobile 2003 SE and made
>>> a decision to bleed their loyal customers. Doubt Compaq would have
>>> treated
>> us
>>> this way. In any event, any lawyers or attorneys interested in
>>> pursuing
>> the
>>> class action suit angle? Without SE upgrade, legacy owners must pay an
>>> obscene amount to merely compensate for missing but necessary features
>> from
>>> the original Win Mobile.
>>>
>>> J Trigilio

> --
> ======================
> ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.
> OS. Osaris / Psion 5mx
> iPAQ 5550 / Nokia 6310
> HTTP://www.xarane.com
> ======================
> Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition Petition:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/HPWMK3SE/petition.html
> 9897 Total Signatures on Tuesday, Aug. 24th 2004!
> HP 'Windows Mobile 2003 SE Support' Forum:
> http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer...
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 10:25:58 AM

Yes, $1045 thanks to the wonderful Euro we have here (NL)
and that was -with- discount. No, it won't stop working in itself.
firstly because I like it too much and secondly because it just works.
But hardware expansions will disappear soon and so will development,
such is life in computing development. it's becoming disposable like
paper bags. My only real complaint is that HP doesn't work for their
customers anymore.

~S.

--
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.