speakers suddenly stop working after reinstall

Hi, not sure what the problem might be, obviously... I cleared my harddrive
and reinstalled windows XP. I updated all my drivers, or at least I think I
did, but my speakers suddenly no longer work. I didn't change any of the
hardware connections on the computer. When I plug a headset in to the
computer, it works fine. When I turn the speakers on and turn them all the
way up, I hear a little fuzz that just lets me know if noise comes out of the
speakers, its going to be really loud. Any suggestions for me before I try
buying new speakers and subwoofer?
4 answers Last reply
More about speakers suddenly stop working reinstall

    start/control panel/sounds&audio devices
    check everything
    peterk

    the problem
    > Hi, not sure what the problem might be, obviously... I cleared my
    > harddrive
    > and reinstalled windows XP. I updated all my drivers, or at least I think
    > did, but my speakers suddenly no longer work. I didn't change any of the
    > hardware connections on the computer. When I plug a headset in to the
    > computer, it works fine. When I turn the speakers on and turn them all
    > the
    > way up, I hear a little fuzz that just lets me know if noise comes out of
    > the
    > speakers, its going to be really loud. Any suggestions for me before I
    > try
    > buying new speakers and subwoofer?

    Reinstall the software for your audio.

    some support

    | Hi, not sure what the problem might be, obviously... I
    cleared my harddrive
    | and reinstalled windows XP. I updated all my drivers, or
    at least I think I
    | did, but my speakers suddenly no longer work. I didn't
    change any of the
    | hardware connections on the computer. When I plug a
    headset in to the
    | computer, it works fine. When I turn the speakers on and
    turn them all the
    | way up, I hear a little fuzz that just lets me know if
    noise comes out of the
    | speakers, its going to be really loud. Any suggestions
    for me before I try
    | buying new speakers and subwoofer?

    Are you plugging the headphones into the same jack the speakers are
    plugged into when testing? If so, the problem is the speakers. If not,
    try checking the jack.

    David wrote:

    > Hi, not sure what the problem might be, obviously... I cleared my harddrive
    > and reinstalled windows XP. I updated all my drivers, or at least I think I
    > did, but my speakers suddenly no longer work. I didn't change any of the
    > hardware connections on the computer. When I plug a headset in to the
    > computer, it works fine. When I turn the speakers on and turn them all the
    > way up, I hear a little fuzz that just lets me know if noise comes out of the
    > speakers, its going to be really loud. Any suggestions for me before I try
    > buying new speakers and subwoofer?

    Check your speakers on another machine. The problem is probably a bad
    connection within the speakers (cables).
    Damo

    > Are you plugging the headphones into the same jack the speakers are
    > plugged into when testing? If so, the problem is the speakers. If not, try
    > checking the jack.
    >
    > David wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, not sure what the problem might be, obviously... I cleared my
    >> harddrive and reinstalled windows XP. I updated all my drivers, or at
    >> least I think I did, but my speakers suddenly no longer work. I didn't
    >> change any of the hardware connections on the computer. When I plug a
    >> headset in to the computer, it works fine. When I turn the speakers on
    >> and turn them all the way up, I hear a little fuzz that just lets me know
    >> if noise comes out of the speakers, its going to be really loud. Any
    >> suggestions for me before I try buying new speakers and subwoofer?

Hardware Speakers Windows XP