HP Laserjet 1012 and WP5

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
July 21, 2004 12:17:44 AM

I'm about to purchase the LaserJet 1012 for a technophobic friend who
is still using WordPerfect 5 on Windows 98. Will this printer work
for software this old?

Thank you

More about : laserjet 1012 wp5

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 21, 2004 12:39:23 AM

"Dave" <zaphod@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> I'm about to purchase the LaserJet 1012 for a technophobic friend who
> is still using WordPerfect 5 on Windows 98. Will this printer work
> for software this old?

If they are really running the Win 98 version of Word Perfect it should be OK.
HP has Win 98 drivers for the LaserJet 1012 available at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Driver...

If they are running the DOS version of WP from within Windows things may be a
bit tougher and a different LaserJet or DeskJet model may be a better choice.
See the WordPerfect driver page at: http://www.wpdos.org for a bunch of useful
information on WP both in DOS and Windows.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging
July 22, 2004 2:39:17 AM

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message news:<10frpbd5qh2uc86@corp.supernews.com>...

> If they are running the DOS version of WP from within Windows things may be a
> bit tougher and a different LaserJet or DeskJet model may be a better choice.
> See the WordPerfect driver page at: http://www.wpdos.org for a bunch of useful
> information on WP both in DOS and Windows.

Specifically, the 1012 only has a USB port, and does not run PCL. WP5
DOS will not be able to use it at all with a normal set up. However,
the hacks described on the site mentioned (specifically
<http://www.wpdos.org/anyprinter.html&gt;) will allow it to work (by
rerouting the print stream to a translator and then to the USB port)
-- be sure you can set this up before buying the 1012. Otherwise, go
up a model to the 1150 which has PCL and a parallel port, for about
$100 more. Generally the absolute cheapest model has had a lot of
corners cut anyway.
!