Please Help Can't Overclock My 2800+ Barton on Asus A7N8X-..

I have been trying to overclock my Barton 2800+ but can't get anyware. Keep
geting that silly voice on my motherboard saying System failure due to cpu
overclock.

Here are my specs:

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (Latest Bios)
2 x 512meg DDR 3200 (Crucial) Memory
2800+ Barton

The multiplier and bus speed as follows.

12.5x
166
Vcore 1.65

I have tried setting the FSB to 200 x 11 whilst slowly increasing the Vcore
to 1.75

Every setting apart from default (Even slower) causes boot error message.

What am I missing, All I hear is that everybodu apart from me can do it.

Thanks For any help.

Mike

Jim

There's no guarantee *any* processor will run above spec (166MHz clock in
this case), let alone 200MHz, so it sounds to me you've leap-frogged to
200MHz immediately. Are you saying you can't even run 167, 168, 169, etc.?
(x 12.5) either?! One would at least expect a *little* OC'ing ability. If
so, it would be helpful to know exactly where things start to go awry,
rather than simply jumping to 200MHz and declaring it's not working.

I'm also assuming you have the CPU FSB and memory running "sync" (1:1).
Remember, every time you OC the FSB, the memory is OC'd too. I'm not sure
how you have the CPU FSB and DRAM Freq (Advanced Chipset Features) currently
configured, so I'm flying blind here. But the best thing to do is manually
set DRAM Freq to 1:1 (100%, or SYNC) to make sure that as you OC the FSB,
the memory simple shadows it. If the mobo defaults to 5:6 (120%), perhaps
as a result of By SPD, or *you* manually setting it (not unthinkable since
your first inclination before OC'ing is to run asynchronously, so you get
all the PC3200 you paid for), this will result in OC'ing the PC3200 too!
And being Crucial, it probably can't be OC'd very much, if at all. IOW,
what may be holding you back is not the CPU, but memory.

So just go to the DRAM Freq and set it to 1:1 (100%, or SYNC), then try
again. Now your memory, set to PC2700, won't cause problems as the CPU FSB
is OC'd. As the CPU FBS is increased, the memory will increase too, but it
will remain BELOW spec (PC3200) until CPU FSB 200MHz! If you're lucky,
you'll be able to reach 200MHz, and your memory will be "at spec". Anything
above 200MHz is gravy, since from that point on the memory runs above spec
too (which is why people sometimes buy more headroom, such as PC3500 or
PC3700).

HTH

Jim

"Michael Rembo" <mikeypr@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I have been trying to overclock my Barton 2800+ but can't get anyware.
Keep
> geting that silly voice on my motherboard saying System failure due to cpu
> overclock.
>
> Here are my specs:
>
> ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (Latest Bios)
> 2 x 512meg DDR 3200 (Crucial) Memory
> 2800+ Barton
>
> The multiplier and bus speed as follows.
>
> 12.5x
> 166
> Vcore 1.65
>
> I have tried setting the FSB to 200 x 11 whilst slowly increasing the
Vcore
> to 1.75
>
> Every setting apart from default (Even slower) causes boot error message.
>
> What am I missing, All I hear is that everybodu apart from me can do it.
>
> Thanks For any help.
>
> Mike

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks
Jim for all the time you spent answering me.

No go, even with slowing the memory down.

All The Best

Mike