Problem with modem's port

My modem is attached the port COM3, but this port doesn't appear in device
maneger. When I click in query modem in diagnostic the message say...the port
that ther modem is attached could not be opened.
error message: Opening the modem device failed with error 000005aa

Please, somebody help me!!
--
Fabio
2 answers Last reply

    "Fabio" <Fabio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My modem is attached the port COM3, but this port doesn't appear in device
    > maneger. When I click in query modem in diagnostic the message say...the
    > port
    > that ther modem is attached could not be opened.
    > error message: Opening the modem device failed with error 000005aa
    >
    > Please, somebody help me!!
    > --
    > Fabio

    The ports listed in Device Manager are the physical ports on the computer
    that you can plug something into. The modem is its own com port, so that
    port should NOT be listed in device manager, or you'd have conflicts.

    There are two things you can try. First, remove every instance of that
    modem...the hardware in Device manager, the drivers, any add-on software
    that came with it, etc.

    Reboot the computer and let Windows re-detect it. Reinstall software as
    needed. Test it.

    If it's really dead, the good news is that modems are cheap. Buy a new one
    and install it. If possible, buy one with a different chipset, so there's no
    chance the drivers will get scrambled.

    Had the same failure. Are you getting the 'error 633' message when trying to
    dial out? I ahve similar troubles with XP and my internal modem. I checked
    the system information (programs/accessories/system tools) both for when it
    was working (just after I reinstalled the drivers) and when it wasn't (after
    a reboot). Surprise! the results were different with the 'failure'
    information showing several items (baud rate, buffer size etc) as 'not
    available'. Also the order of stuff in the 'failure' info listed the modem
    stuff first while that in the 'working' info had the COM1 stuff first.
    Now, tentative guess, could it be that the failure is due to the modem
    drivers being loaded first then clashing with the COM1 drivers so nothing
    works? If so how do I set the order of loading?
    Rather than uninstall and reload the drivers, I tried disabling the modem,
    rebooting then enabling the modem again. Success! Now, how do I get the
    machine to do this automatically?

    "Fabio" wrote:

    > My modem is attached the port COM3, but this port doesn't appear in device
    > maneger. When I click in query modem in diagnostic the message say...the port
    > that ther modem is attached could not be opened.
    > error message: Opening the modem device failed with error 000005aa
    >
    > Please, somebody help me!!
    > --
    > Fabio

Hardware Modem Microsoft Devices Error Message Windows XP