External USB 2.0 HDD Drive not stable

Hello,

I have an external HDD USB 2.0 drive. It is recognized by the OS (XP SP2),
but it "flickers" in-and-out. While I watch it in Explorer, every minute or
so it dissapears yet to come back in a second! It seems almost like the
system is re-scanning for drives connected, updating them periodically. Is
there such a thing? If so, how do I turn it off?

Thnak you very much!

Check your cable and port connections for integrity....

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Avs" wrote:

| Hello,
|
| I have an external HDD USB 2.0 drive. It is recognized by the OS (XP SP2),
| but it "flickers" in-and-out. While I watch it in Explorer, every minute or
| so it dissapears yet to come back in a second! It seems almost like the
| system is re-scanning for drives connected, updating them periodically. Is
| there such a thing? If so, how do I turn it off?
|
| Thnak you very much!

It could be that the interface between the drive and the computer may be
intermittent. It could be the electronics in the external case or the USB
cable/connectors. First try a different cable. Then try the drive connected
to another computer. You have to use the process of elimination to find the
actual cause of the problem.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban