windows 2000 hibernate

I am having problems getting a barton 2800 333mhz with 512mb ram and 80 gb
hard disk to hibernate in windows 2000. When I power the machine up it
comes back with a blue screen and a memory error.
I've had this problem with both windows 2000 server and workstation.

I thought it was the memory so I changed it for another type.

I then changed the motherboard and I still get the problem.

Now I am starting to think it is the processor.

Justin Barnes wrote:
> I am having problems getting a barton 2800 333mhz with 512mb ram and
> 80 gb hard disk to hibernate in windows 2000. When I power the
> machine up it comes back with a blue screen and a memory error.
> I've had this problem with both windows 2000 server and workstation.
>
> I thought it was the memory so I changed it for another type.
>
> I then changed the motherboard and I still get the problem.
>
> Now I am starting to think it is the processor.

I'd say it's the OS or drivers :) I (and many other people) have never
managed to get Win2K/XP to recover properly from (or in some cases even
enter)hibernation. This is supposedly due to non-conforming drivers, though
how they got WHQL certification in that state escapes me. Upgrading to SP4
solves the issues for some people, and so does applying all the Win2k
hotfixes. Using the most recent drivers is also a good idea. I've only ever
actually seen it work correctly on a laptop (can't remember the specs
though) that hadn't been changed much since being factory-loaded.

The most foolproof way to get it working (assuming you've tried SP4 etc) is
to follow the usual problem-finding steps. Strip your computer down to only
the basics (ie: disable all onboard stuff, only addin card being a graphics
card) and remove the drivers from windows. If this still causes problems,
try swapping the video card with a completely different one. If it still
fails, then swap out the motherboard for one that uses a different chipset.
If this still fails, then keep on trying different motherboard and video
cards until one works (remembering to uninstall the drivers after each
change). Once you have a working, stripped-down system, slowly add bits
until it breaks. Then, remove this item (and uninstall the drivers) and try
a different item. Keep doing this until you have a system that will
hibernate and de-hibernate, but won't if you add any other of your current
components. Finally, go out and replace all your buggy components with ones
that use different chipsets, in the hope that these will work.

Alternatively, just go around changing things randomly, and things will
probably start working after a while. Seriously. There's been several
instances when nothing seems to be helping, so I fiddle things around
randomly, then slowly move back to the original state (eg: shuffling cards
around in the PCI slots, then changing them back to their original order).
In some cases, magically, things begin to work again. Just Windows' way of
working I suppose.

However, in the case of hibernation, I decided it wasn't worth all the
hassle. I don't turn my computer on and off enough to make the boot-time
wait important, and I'd rather have a stable computer that takes slightly
longer to boot than a computer that sometimes boots quickly, but sometimes
won't boot at all.

--
Michael Brown

Win2K isn't the best OS in the world. XP is a much more stable product.
The first thing I'd do is upgrade to XP and latest service pack. If that
doesn't work I'd start looking at bios settings especially in the power/UPS
area. You probably already know this but just in case you don't if you
discover you need to change the bios be very careful and check and recheck
every step of the way. I learned the hardway through the checkbook that
simple mistakes are costly when it comes to swapping BIOs.

Lots of luck
"Justin Barnes" <sdfg@sdfg.com> wrote in message
> I am having problems getting a barton 2800 333mhz with 512mb ram and 80 gb
> hard disk to hibernate in windows 2000. When I power the machine up it
> comes back with a blue screen and a memory error.
> I've had this problem with both windows 2000 server and workstation.
>
> I thought it was the memory so I changed it for another type.
>
> I then changed the motherboard and I still get the problem.
>
> Now I am starting to think it is the processor.

Hi

I found the problem.

I bought a PCChips motherboard M848 ALU and a MSI KT4AV-L i can not get
either of these boards to hibernate I will therefore be returning them as
not working to specification.
However I also bought a Gigabyte GA-7S748 and this will hibernate. I have
another problem now the system bus is running at 166 mhz and the cpu
temperature is 60C that seems a bit high but this maybe becuase it has this
smart fan technology wihich I think means the fans will run quicker if the
temperature goes higher.

hmmmm any thoughts????

Justin

"Justin Barnes" <sdfg@sdfg.com> wrote in message
> I am having problems getting a barton 2800 333mhz with 512mb ram and 80 gb
> hard disk to hibernate in windows 2000. When I power the machine up it
> comes back with a blue screen and a memory error.
> I've had this problem with both windows 2000 server and workstation.
>
> I thought it was the memory so I changed it for another type.
>
> I then changed the motherboard and I still get the problem.
>
> Now I am starting to think it is the processor.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> Justin Barnes wrote:
> > I am having problems getting a barton 2800 333mhz with 512mb ram and
> > 80 gb hard disk to hibernate in windows 2000. When I power the
> > machine up it comes back with a blue screen and a memory error.
> > I've had this problem with both windows 2000 server and workstation.

Snip

> However, in the case of hibernation, I decided it wasn't worth all the
> hassle. I don't turn my computer on and off enough to make the boot-time
> wait important, and I'd rather have a stable computer that takes slightly
> longer to boot than a computer that sometimes boots quickly, but sometimes
> won't boot at all.

It works OK on my MSI KT2 Combo, XP2000 (@13.5x150ish) 512MB Ram, GeForce4
MX440, Mercury 10/100 NIC, cheapie 5.1 sound card, Old ESS modem, old TNT2
M64 32MB PCI, WinXP Pro SP1, nVidia drivers 45.23. Initially, the drivers
for the NIC, sound card and modem were either what ever was in XP or on my
MB CD. I had the latest video drivers but recently decided to use the TNT2
and had to drop back to old vid drivers to get them to work but haven't
updated again. Everything else was updated about a week ago.

For the OP

OK, I have used hibernate, but can't see much use for it. Sure, it boots up
a bit faster but so what, you need plenty of space on the HD to store the
hibernate file (at least RAM size). I have not used it mid-game but I would
rather use the game's save points anyway. Don't fret if you can't get it to
work, its not all that great.

Dave