Question about Duron Overclock wit ASUS Via Kt-400 chipset

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 21, 2004 1:54:05 AM

Hey there,

I'm relativly new to this, and was asking if you guys thought what
I've achieved so far is safe to continue to run without really
damaging anything (I know there is always a possibility).

I've got an ASUS KT400 motherboard.
Duron 1800 Processor Applebred Core
Kingston PC2100 Valueram.

I tried to make the jump to 166x13.5 - that did not work. I'm assuming
it is probably my ram more than anything. I even raised the latency on
the RAM's CAS settings from 2.5 to 3 - hoping it'd give me a little
more - so no go. It would post - but never would start loading the OS.

I got back in and changed the FSB to 153/31 x 13.5 to get it past 2
ghz. So my system bus is now running at 306 mhz. The CPU speed is 2056
mhz. It is Prime 95 stable at 113 degrees Farenheit.

I'm happy with this till I get some PC2700 RAM which should be fine on
a 166 mhz bus.

My question is, at the settings I have now, am I likely to damage the
RAM in the system. I do have 1 gigs worth and would like to be able to
sell it when the time comes.

Any other tips or suggestions? When I tried 166x13.5 I tried up to 1.7
volts to get that btw.
April 21, 2004 3:57:12 AM

I assume this an Asus A7V8X, couldn't you set the Memory Freq (Advanced
Menu) manually to 200MHz (i.e., underclock to PC1600), then try OC'ing the
CPU, just to see what the CPU will do? At least then you'll know if it is
or isn't memory holding you back currently.

HTH

Jim

"TAB" <buyer262000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey there,
>
> I'm relativly new to this, and was asking if you guys thought what
> I've achieved so far is safe to continue to run without really
> damaging anything (I know there is always a possibility).
>
> I've got an ASUS KT400 motherboard.
> Duron 1800 Processor Applebred Core
> Kingston PC2100 Valueram.
>
> I tried to make the jump to 166x13.5 - that did not work. I'm assuming
> it is probably my ram more than anything. I even raised the latency on
> the RAM's CAS settings from 2.5 to 3 - hoping it'd give me a little
> more - so no go. It would post - but never would start loading the OS.
>
> I got back in and changed the FSB to 153/31 x 13.5 to get it past 2
> ghz. So my system bus is now running at 306 mhz. The CPU speed is 2056
> mhz. It is Prime 95 stable at 113 degrees Farenheit.
>
> I'm happy with this till I get some PC2700 RAM which should be fine on
> a 166 mhz bus.
>
> My question is, at the settings I have now, am I likely to damage the
> RAM in the system. I do have 1 gigs worth and would like to be able to
> sell it when the time comes.
>
> Any other tips or suggestions? When I tried 166x13.5 I tried up to 1.7
> volts to get that btw.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2004 10:01:01 PM

"TAB" <buyer262000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey there,
>
> I'm relativly new to this, and was asking if you guys thought what
> I've achieved so far is safe to continue to run without really
> damaging anything (I know there is always a possibility).
>
> I've got an ASUS KT400 motherboard.
> Duron 1800 Processor Applebred Core
> Kingston PC2100 Valueram.
>
> I tried to make the jump to 166x13.5 - that did not work. I'm assuming
> it is probably my ram more than anything. I even raised the latency on
> the RAM's CAS settings from 2.5 to 3 - hoping it'd give me a little
> more - so no go. It would post - but never would start loading the OS.
>
> I got back in and changed the FSB to 153/31 x 13.5 to get it past 2
> ghz. So my system bus is now running at 306 mhz. The CPU speed is 2056
> mhz. It is Prime 95 stable at 113 degrees Farenheit.
>
> I'm happy with this till I get some PC2700 RAM which should be fine on
> a 166 mhz bus.
>
> My question is, at the settings I have now, am I likely to damage the
> RAM in the system. I do have 1 gigs worth and would like to be able to
> sell it when the time comes.
>
> Any other tips or suggestions? When I tried 166x13.5 I tried up to 1.7
> volts to get that btw.

You are unlikely to damage the ram unless you have raised the voltage to a
stupid amount - I have been running pc2100 at 150mhz on one system for
almost 2 years with no problems
!