Modem shuts down dial tone automatically within seconds

I recently reinstalled the memory chips to my nieces pc with has Windows
Home XP as the operating system. She had taken a year ago to her
boyfriends and they ran a network together while browsing the
internet.

The operating system came up fine but I have been unable to get the
US Robotics Modem to work even though Windows says it is working fine.

When I hook the phone line through the modem I can hear a dial tone
for
10 or 20 seconds and then the line comes open with a disconnect or
beeping
(phone off line signal).

I am unable to set up a manual dial up connection though the wizard as
it
keeps asking for a broadband setup.

Is it possible there is a network card installed that has a
configuration setting
that is confilicting with the old dial up modem ?. This modem works
fine in another older machine I have with windows 98 on it.....

Does windows xp automatically dial up the modem after boot up trying to
find
the provider. I need to reinstall the provider software (Earthlink)
but continue to get the message (unknown dialing error)....etc.....

Modemized in Texas

--
rsmith4000

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I recently reinstalled the memory chips to my nieces pc with
> has Windows
> Home XP as the operating system. She had taken a year ago to
> her
> boyfriends and they ran a network together while browsing the
> internet.
>
> The operating system came up fine but I have been unable to
> get the
> US Robotics Modem to work even though Windows says it is
> working fine.
>
> When I hook the phone line through the modem I can hear a dial
> tone
> for
> 10 or 20 seconds and then the line comes open with a
> disconnect or
> beeping
> (phone off line signal).
>
> I am unable to set up a manual dial up connection though the
> wizard as
> it
> keeps asking for a broadband setup.
>
> Is it possible there is a network card installed that has a
> configuration setting
> that is confilicting with the old dial up modem ?. This
> modem works
> fine in another older machine I have with windows 98 on
> it.....
>
> Does windows xp automatically dial up the modem after boot up
> trying to
> find
> the provider. I need to reinstall the provider software
> (Earthlink)
> but continue to get the message (unknown dialing
> error)....etc.....
>
> Modemized in Texas
>

> --
> rsmith4000

Are you saying that the modem never tries to dial? If so you have to
look for the option "Wait for dial tone" and uncheck it, i dont
remerb exacly where it is, but i belive thats what you are looking
for.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Modem-shuts-dial-tone-automatically-seconds-ftopict554016.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1758797