Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Idle temp way high

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 21, 2004 1:14:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you folk
will know the problem-
I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The fan/heatsink
combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly rebooting a lot, usually in
games (it will run for days if I am just using Outlook or browsing the net
etc).
I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a side
effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting. Unfortunately
not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up at 72 deg, and that
was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink was a bit gunked up with
dust so I blew that out and its now at about 62 deg when idle, but still
goes over 70 when I do anything cpu intensive.
System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with not
much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives all "up top")
so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting fan in the case side
panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card, but its obviously not
helping much. Any thoughts?

More about : idle temp high

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2004 1:14:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"James" <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c65aeg$5ji$1$830fa7b3@news.demon.co.uk...
> I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you folk
> will know the problem-
> I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The
fan/heatsink
> combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly rebooting a lot, usually
in
> games (it will run for days if I am just using Outlook or browsing the net
> etc).
> I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a side
> effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting. Unfortunately
> not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up at 72 deg, and
that
> was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink was a bit gunked up with
> dust so I blew that out and its now at about 62 deg when idle, but still
> goes over 70 when I do anything cpu intensive.
> System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with not
> much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives all "up
top")
> so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting fan in the case side
> panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card, but its obviously not
> helping much. Any thoughts?
>
If that fan on your case side panel is your only case fan, there's the
problem. You need at least one *good* (good = 40 CFM minimum) case fan
mounted rear-top to exhaust the hot air from the CPU area. The PSU fan is
*not* good enough. After that, you may find that side panel fan is making
things worse, not better. Turn it around to bring cool air *into* the CPU
area.
You don't say what your room temp is, but unless it's in the 37 - 40C range,
you have serious case airflow problems. To test, remove the side panel,
place a desk fan so it blows air into your open case and see what kind of
readings you get.
Another thing to check: are the front air intakes on your case at the
bottom? If so, is your case on carpet? The carpet pile can block the air
intakes on "cool" looking cases that try to hide the intakes for styling
reasons.
Goals: case temp <= room temp + 5. CPU temp <= case temp + 20 under load.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2004 1:14:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

James wrote:
> I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you
> folk will know the problem-
> I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The
> fan/heatsink combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly
> rebooting a lot, usually in games (it will run for days if I am just
> using Outlook or browsing the net etc).
> I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a
> side effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting.
> Unfortunately not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up
> at 72 deg, and that was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink
> was a bit gunked up with dust so I blew that out and its now at about
> 62 deg when idle, but still goes over 70 when I do anything cpu
> intensive.
> System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with
> not much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives
> all "up top") so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting
> fan in the case side panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card,
> but its obviously not helping much. Any thoughts?

Are those temps in C or F?? If they are F then you have no problems, C and
you have some work to do.

Dan
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2004 1:26:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"James" <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c65aeg$5ji$1$830fa7b3@news.demon.co.uk...
> I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you folk
> will know the problem-
> I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The
fan/heatsink
> combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly rebooting a lot, usually
in
> games (it will run for days if I am just using Outlook or browsing the net
> etc).
> I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a side
> effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting. Unfortunately
> not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up at 72 deg, and
that
> was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink was a bit gunked up with
> dust so I blew that out and its now at about 62 deg when idle, but still
> goes over 70 when I do anything cpu intensive.
> System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with not
> much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives all "up
top")
> so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting fan in the case side
> panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card, but its obviously not
> helping much. Any thoughts?
>


Firstly.. I wouldnt keep using the pc as-is.. Other than to turn it on to
check things out..
Is this a new install (cpu/hsf) or has it been running for a while?
Is the fan on the cpu spinning when the power is on? and when it's off can
you easily move the fan with your finger (light as a feather)?..
It's def possible that the fan is begenning to end it's life and it's slow'd
down. If that's the case then it could be bad for more than just keeping
the processor cool. So I say the fan is the #1 priority..

As for the Heatsink..
Depending on how dirty it is.. then it could be worth while for you to take
the heatsink off, and soak it in some warm slightly soapy water for a little
while.. Make sure you get it back to it's full shine :) .. But you would need
thermal grease, and a lil isoprop to clean the cpu with too (plus if your
not a careful person then it's not good for you to remove&clean as some
people do manage to kill their cpu).
April 21, 2004 2:07:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message
news:meqhc.22$c26.11@newsfe1-win...
>
> Firstly.. I wouldnt keep using the pc as-is.. Other than to turn it on to
> check things out..
> Is this a new install (cpu/hsf) or has it been running for a while?
> Is the fan on the cpu spinning when the power is on? and when it's off can
> you easily move the fan with your finger (light as a feather)?..
> It's def possible that the fan is begenning to end it's life and it's
slow'd
> down. If that's the case then it could be bad for more than just keeping
> the processor cool. So I say the fan is the #1 priority..

Its been running for several months... the fan does spin, and seems free
enough to turn when I flick it. Having said that, when its running its very
quiet - doesn't "sound" like its moving much air!

> As for the Heatsink..
> Depending on how dirty it is.. then it could be worth while for you to
take
> the heatsink off, and soak it in some warm slightly soapy water for a
little
> while.. Make sure you get it back to it's full shine :) .. But you would
need
> thermal grease, and a lil isoprop to clean the cpu with too (plus if your
> not a careful person then it's not good for you to remove&clean as some
> people do manage to kill their cpu).
>

we have some thermal grease and stuff here at work, so I'll definietly give
that a try. Although I got rid of the clods of surface dust there may be
more lower down in the fins - hard to tell without taking it out.

Thanks for the pointers
James.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2004 2:29:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Check that the heatsink is seated properly. Best bet is to remove, clean
both the heatsink base and CPU core (use something Akasa citrus cleaner) and
reapply a thin layer of a decent thermal compound (such as Arctic Silver
3/5/Ceramique) and carefully reseat the heatsink ensuring good contact is
made with the CPU.

Your case temp sounds on the high side to me...what intake/exhaust fans do
you have? You may benefit from more or higher power fans, possibly coupled
with a fan controller to manage noise.

Finally consider a replacement heatsink...something like a Thermalright will
blow the stock HSF assembly away even with a quiet-ish fan.

HTH



"James" <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c65aeg$5ji$1$830fa7b3@news.demon.co.uk...
> I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you folk
> will know the problem-
> I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The
fan/heatsink
> combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly rebooting a lot, usually
in
> games (it will run for days if I am just using Outlook or browsing the net
> etc).
> I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a side
> effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting. Unfortunately
> not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up at 72 deg, and
that
> was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink was a bit gunked up with
> dust so I blew that out and its now at about 62 deg when idle, but still
> goes over 70 when I do anything cpu intensive.
> System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with not
> much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives all "up
top")
> so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting fan in the case side
> panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card, but its obviously not
> helping much. Any thoughts?
>
>
April 21, 2004 6:17:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"anthonyi" <anthony.i67_xxx@ntlworld_xxx.com> wrote in message
news:J8rhc.50$Zr5.10@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> Check that the heatsink is seated properly. Best bet is to remove, clean
> both the heatsink base and CPU core (use something Akasa citrus cleaner)
and
> reapply a thin layer of a decent thermal compound (such as Arctic Silver
> 3/5/Ceramique) and carefully reseat the heatsink ensuring good contact is
> made with the CPU.
Will give it a go.

> Your case temp sounds on the high side to me...what intake/exhaust fans do
> you have? You may benefit from more or higher power fans, possibly coupled
> with a fan controller to manage noise.
The one on the side I mentioned, although this may be making it worse
reading other replies!

> Finally consider a replacement heatsink...something like a Thermalright
will
> blow the stock HSF assembly away even with a quiet-ish fan.
Will definitely look into it
Thanks,
James
April 21, 2004 6:20:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
news:hAthc.11472$c%3.5386@okepread02...
> If that fan on your case side panel is your only case fan, there's the
> problem. You need at least one *good* (good = 40 CFM minimum) case fan
> mounted rear-top to exhaust the hot air from the CPU area. The PSU fan is
> *not* good enough. After that, you may find that side panel fan is making
> things worse, not better. Turn it around to bring cool air *into* the CPU
> area.

It is the only fan - the case is big, a full tower - so not "overcrowded",
but it is a few years old now. Not even sure it has intakes on the front
that I can see! I guess it may not be designed for the cooling requirements
of modern cpu's...

> You don't say what your room temp is, but unless it's in the 37 - 40C
range,
> you have serious case airflow problems. To test, remove the side panel,
> place a desk fan so it blows air into your open case and see what kind of
> readings you get.
Will check and see

> Another thing to check: are the front air intakes on your case at the
> bottom? If so, is your case on carpet? The carpet pile can block the air
> intakes on "cool" looking cases that try to hide the intakes for styling
> reasons.
See reply to 1st para... :) 

> Goals: case temp <= room temp + 5. CPU temp <= case temp + 20 under load.
OK, will bear those figures in mind...
James
April 21, 2004 6:21:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

"Angry American" <angryn0spamamerican@dool.com> wrote in message
news:c65oj4$mm5$1@news.netins.net...
> Are those temps in C or F?? If they are F then you have no problems, C and
> you have some work to do.
C, unfortunately... lots of helpful suggestions from folk though, thanks
all!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2004 9:13:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

If the side fan is the only case fan you have, then that does need
rectifying. Remember, if your case temp is 45c then you're trying to cool
you're CPU with air that's probably 20c above ambient...that's a tough job
for a heatsink. You should have at least one intake (lower front) and one
exhaust (upper back) to provide good airflow...say 40cfm as a mininum. That
alone will help.

Good luck!

"James" <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote in message
news:c65s7i$a5j$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk...
>
> "anthonyi" <anthony.i67_xxx@ntlworld_xxx.com> wrote in message
> news:J8rhc.50$Zr5.10@newsfe1-gui.server.ntli.net...
> > Check that the heatsink is seated properly. Best bet is to remove, clean
> > both the heatsink base and CPU core (use something Akasa citrus cleaner)
> and
> > reapply a thin layer of a decent thermal compound (such as Arctic Silver
> > 3/5/Ceramique) and carefully reseat the heatsink ensuring good contact
is
> > made with the CPU.
> Will give it a go.
>
> > Your case temp sounds on the high side to me...what intake/exhaust fans
do
> > you have? You may benefit from more or higher power fans, possibly
coupled
> > with a fan controller to manage noise.
> The one on the side I mentioned, although this may be making it worse
> reading other replies!
>
> > Finally consider a replacement heatsink...something like a Thermalright
> will
> > blow the stock HSF assembly away even with a quiet-ish fan.
> Will definitely look into it
> Thanks,
> James
>
>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2004 9:36:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:14:10 +0100, James
<jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote:
> I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a
> side effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting.
> Unfortunately not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up
> at 72 deg, and that was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink
> was a bit gunked up with dust so I blew that out and its now at about
> 62 deg when idle, but still goes over 70 when I do anything cpu
> intensive. System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full
> tower) with not much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area,
> other drives all "up top") so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an
> extracting fan in the case side panel in the area of the cpu and
> graphics card, but its obviously not helping much. Any thoughts?
>
>
1) what is your room ambient temperature? Is it hot? Do you have airflow
room around you case? Is sunlight landing on the case? Do you have
aircon or can you open a window to improve air ventilation in the room?
Start with those ideas. 2) AMD recommends a) proper attachment of heat
sink to CPU. Maybe it needs reseating and a better job with the heatsink
compound b) a power supply fan with 2 fans in it, one almost above the
CPU drawing hot air into the PS and pushing it out the back c) another
80mm fan at the rear of the chassis drawing air out of the case d) clear
air flow through the louvres at the bottom front of the case. Are these
clogged with dust? If your heatsink is I bet these are!

Try the above work before making any fan additions.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.


--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"
April 27, 2004 4:13:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

To end the tale:

I took a good look at my case - it was full of holes and gaps (which let all
the dust in) and didnt really offer many fan opportunities, so I've splashed
out (relatively speaking...) on a new Chieftec BX01 case with some fans (2
in, 2 out) and a new cpu cooler as well (thermaltake volcano 12.)
My idle cpu temp with the fan at 2500 rpm (not noisy at all) is now 38 deg
(but the sytem is 42?!) and with the fan at a noisy 5500 it drops to 36 deg.
Not at all bad! I haven't tried it under load yet, but I cant see it
shooting up to 80... Thanks for all the help folks,
James
May 1, 2004 11:27:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Something I discovered about computer heat, is that when I angle my
fan (standard fan, not computer fan) toward me to cool me off in my
warm living room, it also hits the computer. The next monring, after
leaving the floor fan blowing toward the computer purposely, I open my
Intel Active Monitor and I see the temp up by 10C. It's because I was
blowing warm air toward the computer, when I thought I was helping the
situation by treating the computer like me.

When I don't blow it toward the computer, the temp stayed down.

Larry Gagnon <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote in message news:<108emf3bujvbjf6@corp.supernews.com>...
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:14:10 +0100, James
> <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a
> > side effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting.
> > Unfortunately not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up
> > at 72 deg, and that was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink
> > was a bit gunked up with dust so I blew that out and its now at about
> > 62 deg when idle, but still goes over 70 when I do anything cpu
> > intensive. System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full
> > tower) with not much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area,
> > other drives all "up top") so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an
> > extracting fan in the case side panel in the area of the cpu and
> > graphics card, but its obviously not helping much. Any thoughts?
> >
> >
> 1) what is your room ambient temperature? Is it hot? Do you have airflow
> room around you case? Is sunlight landing on the case? Do you have
> aircon or can you open a window to improve air ventilation in the room?
> Start with those ideas. 2) AMD recommends a) proper attachment of heat
> sink to CPU. Maybe it needs reseating and a better job with the heatsink
> compound b) a power supply fan with 2 fans in it, one almost above the
> CPU drawing hot air into the PS and pushing it out the back c) another
> 80mm fan at the rear of the chassis drawing air out of the case d) clear
> air flow through the louvres at the bottom front of the case. Are these
> clogged with dust? If your heatsink is I bet these are!
>
> Try the above work before making any fan additions.
>
> Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.
!