Idle temp way high

I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you folk
will know the problem-
I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The fan/heatsink
combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly rebooting a lot, usually in
games (it will run for days if I am just using Outlook or browsing the net
etc).
I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a side
effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting. Unfortunately
not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up at 72 deg, and that
was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink was a bit gunked up with
dust so I blew that out and its now at about 62 deg when idle, but still
goes over 70 when I do anything cpu intensive.
System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with not
much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives all "up top")
so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting fan in the case side
panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card, but its obviously not
helping much. Any thoughts?
12 answers Last reply
More about idle temp high

    "James" <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you folk
    > will know the problem-
    > I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The
    fan/heatsink
    > combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly rebooting a lot, usually
    in
    > games (it will run for days if I am just using Outlook or browsing the net
    > etc).
    > I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a side
    > effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting. Unfortunately
    > not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up at 72 deg, and
    that
    > was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink was a bit gunked up with
    > dust so I blew that out and its now at about 62 deg when idle, but still
    > goes over 70 when I do anything cpu intensive.
    > System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with not
    > much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives all "up
    top")
    > so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting fan in the case side
    > panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card, but its obviously not
    > helping much. Any thoughts?

    If that fan on your case side panel is your only case fan, there's the
    problem. You need at least one *good* (good = 40 CFM minimum) case fan
    mounted rear-top to exhaust the hot air from the CPU area. The PSU fan is
    *not* good enough. After that, you may find that side panel fan is making
    things worse, not better. Turn it around to bring cool air *into* the CPU
    area.
    You don't say what your room temp is, but unless it's in the 37 - 40C range,
    you have serious case airflow problems. To test, remove the side panel,
    place a desk fan so it blows air into your open case and see what kind of
    readings you get.
    Another thing to check: are the front air intakes on your case at the
    bottom? If so, is your case on carpet? The carpet pile can block the air
    intakes on "cool" looking cases that try to hide the intakes for styling
    reasons.
    Goals: case temp <= room temp + 5. CPU temp <= case temp + 20 under load.

    James wrote:
    > I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you
    > folk will know the problem-
    > I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The
    > fan/heatsink combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly
    > rebooting a lot, usually in games (it will run for days if I am just
    > using Outlook or browsing the net etc).
    > I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a
    > side effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting.
    > Unfortunately not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up
    > at 72 deg, and that was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink
    > was a bit gunked up with dust so I blew that out and its now at about
    > 62 deg when idle, but still goes over 70 when I do anything cpu
    > intensive.
    > System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with
    > not much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives
    > all "up top") so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting
    > fan in the case side panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card,
    > but its obviously not helping much. Any thoughts?

    Are those temps in C or F?? If they are F then you have no problems, C and
    you have some work to do.

    Dan

    "James" <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote in message
    > I'm not actually overclocking my cpu but thought I'd ask here as you folk
    > will know the problem-
    > I have an Athlon XP2100 and its on a Gigabyte ga7vaxp mobo. The
    fan/heatsink
    > combo came with the cpu. My pc has been randomly rebooting a lot, usually
    in
    > games (it will run for days if I am just using Outlook or browsing the net
    > etc).
    > I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a side
    > effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting. Unfortunately
    > not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up at 72 deg, and
    that
    > was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink was a bit gunked up with
    > dust so I blew that out and its now at about 62 deg when idle, but still
    > goes over 70 when I do anything cpu intensive.
    > System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full tower) with not
    > much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area, other drives all "up
    top")
    > so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an extracting fan in the case side
    > panel in the area of the cpu and graphics card, but its obviously not
    > helping much. Any thoughts?

    Firstly.. I wouldnt keep using the pc as-is.. Other than to turn it on to
    check things out..
    Is this a new install (cpu/hsf) or has it been running for a while?
    Is the fan on the cpu spinning when the power is on? and when it's off can
    you easily move the fan with your finger (light as a feather)?..
    It's def possible that the fan is begenning to end it's life and it's slow'd
    down. If that's the case then it could be bad for more than just keeping
    the processor cool. So I say the fan is the #1 priority..

    As for the Heatsink..
    Depending on how dirty it is.. then it could be worth while for you to take
    the heatsink off, and soak it in some warm slightly soapy water for a little
    while.. Make sure you get it back to it's full shine :).. But you would need
    thermal grease, and a lil isoprop to clean the cpu with too (plus if your
    not a careful person then it's not good for you to remove&clean as some
    people do manage to kill their cpu).

    "rstlne" <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote in message

    > Firstly.. I wouldnt keep using the pc as-is.. Other than to turn it on to
    > check things out..
    > Is this a new install (cpu/hsf) or has it been running for a while?
    > Is the fan on the cpu spinning when the power is on? and when it's off can
    > you easily move the fan with your finger (light as a feather)?..
    > It's def possible that the fan is begenning to end it's life and it's
    slow'd
    > down. If that's the case then it could be bad for more than just keeping
    > the processor cool. So I say the fan is the #1 priority..

    Its been running for several months... the fan does spin, and seems free
    enough to turn when I flick it. Having said that, when its running its very
    quiet - doesn't "sound" like its moving much air!

    > As for the Heatsink..
    > Depending on how dirty it is.. then it could be worth while for you to
    take
    > the heatsink off, and soak it in some warm slightly soapy water for a
    little
    > while.. Make sure you get it back to it's full shine :).. But you would
    need
    > thermal grease, and a lil isoprop to clean the cpu with too (plus if your
    > not a careful person then it's not good for you to remove&clean as some
    > people do manage to kill their cpu).

    we have some thermal grease and stuff here at work, so I'll definietly give
    that a try. Although I got rid of the clods of surface dust there may be
    more lower down in the fins - hard to tell without taking it out.

    Thanks for the pointers
    James.

    Check that the heatsink is seated properly. Best bet is to remove, clean
    both the heatsink base and CPU core (use something Akasa citrus cleaner) and
    reapply a thin layer of a decent thermal compound (such as Arctic Silver
    3/5/Ceramique) and carefully reseat the heatsink ensuring good contact is
    made with the CPU.

    Your case temp sounds on the high side to me...what intake/exhaust fans do
    you have? You may benefit from more or higher power fans, possibly coupled
    with a fan controller to manage noise.

    Finally consider a replacement heatsink...something like a Thermalright will
    blow the stock HSF assembly away even with a quiet-ish fan.

    HTH

    "anthonyi" <anthony.i67_xxx@ntlworld_xxx.com> wrote in message
    > Check that the heatsink is seated properly. Best bet is to remove, clean
    > both the heatsink base and CPU core (use something Akasa citrus cleaner)
    and
    > reapply a thin layer of a decent thermal compound (such as Arctic Silver
    > 3/5/Ceramique) and carefully reseat the heatsink ensuring good contact is
    > made with the CPU.
    Will give it a go.

    > Your case temp sounds on the high side to me...what intake/exhaust fans do
    > you have? You may benefit from more or higher power fans, possibly coupled
    > with a fan controller to manage noise.
    The one on the side I mentioned, although this may be making it worse
    reading other replies!

    > Finally consider a replacement heatsink...something like a Thermalright
    will
    > blow the stock HSF assembly away even with a quiet-ish fan.
    Will definitely look into it
    Thanks,
    James

    "Peter van der Goes" <p_vandergoes@toadstool.u> wrote in message
    > If that fan on your case side panel is your only case fan, there's the
    > problem. You need at least one *good* (good = 40 CFM minimum) case fan
    > mounted rear-top to exhaust the hot air from the CPU area. The PSU fan is
    > *not* good enough. After that, you may find that side panel fan is making
    > things worse, not better. Turn it around to bring cool air *into* the CPU
    > area.

    It is the only fan - the case is big, a full tower - so not "overcrowded",
    but it is a few years old now. Not even sure it has intakes on the front
    that I can see! I guess it may not be designed for the cooling requirements
    of modern cpu's...

    > You don't say what your room temp is, but unless it's in the 37 - 40C
    range,
    > you have serious case airflow problems. To test, remove the side panel,
    > place a desk fan so it blows air into your open case and see what kind of
    > readings you get.
    Will check and see

    > Another thing to check: are the front air intakes on your case at the
    > bottom? If so, is your case on carpet? The carpet pile can block the air
    > intakes on "cool" looking cases that try to hide the intakes for styling
    > reasons.
    See reply to 1st para... :)

    > Goals: case temp <= room temp + 5. CPU temp <= case temp + 20 under load.
    OK, will bear those figures in mind...
    James
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    "Angry American" <angryn0spamamerican@dool.com> wrote in message
    > Are those temps in C or F?? If they are F then you have no problems, C and
    > you have some work to do.
    C, unfortunately... lots of helpful suggestions from folk though, thanks
    all!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    If the side fan is the only case fan you have, then that does need
    rectifying. Remember, if your case temp is 45c then you're trying to cool
    you're CPU with air that's probably 20c above ambient...that's a tough job
    for a heatsink. You should have at least one intake (lower front) and one
    exhaust (upper back) to provide good airflow...say 40cfm as a mininum. That
    alone will help.

    Good luck!

    > "anthonyi" <anthony.i67_xxx@ntlworld_xxx.com> wrote in message
    > > Check that the heatsink is seated properly. Best bet is to remove, clean
    > > both the heatsink base and CPU core (use something Akasa citrus cleaner)
    > and
    > > reapply a thin layer of a decent thermal compound (such as Arctic Silver
    > > 3/5/Ceramique) and carefully reseat the heatsink ensuring good contact
    is
    > > made with the CPU.
    > Will give it a go.
    >
    > > Your case temp sounds on the high side to me...what intake/exhaust fans
    do
    > > you have? You may benefit from more or higher power fans, possibly
    coupled
    > > with a fan controller to manage noise.
    > The one on the side I mentioned, although this may be making it worse
    > reading other replies!
    >
    > > Finally consider a replacement heatsink...something like a Thermalright
    > will
    > > blow the stock HSF assembly away even with a quiet-ish fan.
    > Will definitely look into it
    > Thanks,
    > James

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:14:10 +0100, James
    <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote:
    > I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a
    > side effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting.
    > Unfortunately not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up
    > at 72 deg, and that was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink
    > was a bit gunked up with dust so I blew that out and its now at about
    > 62 deg when idle, but still goes over 70 when I do anything cpu
    > intensive. System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full
    > tower) with not much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area,
    > other drives all "up top") so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an
    > extracting fan in the case side panel in the area of the cpu and
    > graphics card, but its obviously not helping much. Any thoughts?

    1) what is your room ambient temperature? Is it hot? Do you have airflow
    room around you case? Is sunlight landing on the case? Do you have
    aircon or can you open a window to improve air ventilation in the room?
    Start with those ideas. 2) AMD recommends a) proper attachment of heat
    sink to CPU. Maybe it needs reseating and a better job with the heatsink
    compound b) a power supply fan with 2 fans in it, one almost above the
    CPU drawing hot air into the PS and pushing it out the back c) another
    80mm fan at the rear of the chassis drawing air out of the case d) clear
    air flow through the louvres at the bottom front of the case. Are these
    clogged with dust? If your heatsink is I bet these are!

    Try the above work before making any fan additions.

    Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

    --
    ********************************
    to reply via email remove "fake"

    To end the tale:

    I took a good look at my case - it was full of holes and gaps (which let all
    the dust in) and didnt really offer many fan opportunities, so I've splashed
    out (relatively speaking...) on a new Chieftec BX01 case with some fans (2
    in, 2 out) and a new cpu cooler as well (thermaltake volcano 12.)
    My idle cpu temp with the fan at 2500 rpm (not noisy at all) is now 38 deg
    (but the sytem is 42?!) and with the fan at a noisy 5500 it drops to 36 deg.
    Not at all bad! I haven't tried it under load yet, but I cant see it
    shooting up to 80... Thanks for all the help folks,
    James
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

    Something I discovered about computer heat, is that when I angle my
    fan (standard fan, not computer fan) toward me to cool me off in my
    warm living room, it also hits the computer. The next monring, after
    leaving the floor fan blowing toward the computer purposely, I open my
    Intel Active Monitor and I see the temp up by 10C. It's because I was
    blowing warm air toward the computer, when I thought I was helping the
    situation by treating the computer like me.

    When I don't blow it toward the computer, the temp stayed down.

    Larry Gagnon <lagagnon@fakeuniserve.com> wrote in message news:<108emf3bujvbjf6@corp.supernews.com>...
    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 09:14:10 +0100, James
    > <jamesb@buggeroffspam.opsisltd.co.uk> wrote:
    > > I've recently reinstalled my OS as it needed doing anyway, but as a
    > > side effect I hoped it would sort out the crashing and rebooting.
    > > Unfortunately not. Checked my temps last night and my cpu temp was up
    > > at 72 deg, and that was with the machine doing nothing! The heatsink
    > > was a bit gunked up with dust so I blew that out and its now at about
    > > 62 deg when idle, but still goes over 70 when I do anything cpu
    > > intensive. System temp is around 45 or so. I have a large case (full
    > > tower) with not much in it (2 hard disks in the motherboard area,
    > > other drives all "up top") so not sure what to do. Ages ago I put an
    > > extracting fan in the case side panel in the area of the cpu and
    > > graphics card, but its obviously not helping much. Any thoughts?
    > >

    > 1) what is your room ambient temperature? Is it hot? Do you have airflow
    > room around you case? Is sunlight landing on the case? Do you have
    > aircon or can you open a window to improve air ventilation in the room?
    > Start with those ideas. 2) AMD recommends a) proper attachment of heat
    > sink to CPU. Maybe it needs reseating and a better job with the heatsink
    > compound b) a power supply fan with 2 fans in it, one almost above the
    > CPU drawing hot air into the PS and pushing it out the back c) another
    > 80mm fan at the rear of the chassis drawing air out of the case d) clear
    > air flow through the louvres at the bottom front of the case. Are these
    > clogged with dust? If your heatsink is I bet these are!
    >
    > Try the above work before making any fan additions.
    >
    > Larry Gagnon, A+ certified tech.

AMD Overclocking CPUs