Fastest processor in an Abit KT7A motherboard

Last response: in Overclocking
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2004 5:04:31 PM

One of my other rigs has an Abit KT7A motherboard and 1.2GHz Thunderbird in
it (133MHz FSB).
According to the manufacturer, you can only put processors up to 1.4GHz in
it, but I'm wondering whether it'll take any more recent chips. Does anybody
know what I can put in it?
Also, does anybody know of a chip that I can be sure to be able to buy mail
order and be able to change the multiplier since I'm going to have to lower
the FSB to get it to work in that board?
Thanks.

Alun Harford
April 22, 2004 12:02:34 AM

Install the latest Bio update "A9" then you can upgrade to the Athlon 2400+
set multiplier to 15x133=2gig.

Terry

"Alun Harford" <alunharford@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> One of my other rigs has an Abit KT7A motherboard and 1.2GHz Thunderbird
in
> it (133MHz FSB).
> According to the manufacturer, you can only put processors up to 1.4GHz in
> it, but I'm wondering whether it'll take any more recent chips. Does
anybody
> know what I can put in it?
> Also, does anybody know of a chip that I can be sure to be able to buy
mail
> order and be able to change the multiplier since I'm going to have to
lower
> the FSB to get it to work in that board?
> Thanks.
>
> Alun Harford

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2004 1:20:00 AM

In article <c65o0p$9r$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>, alunharford@yahoo.com
(Alun Harford) wrote:

> According to the manufacturer, you can only put processors up to 1.4GHz
> in it

I have a Thoroughbred B 1700+ running at 1680MHz (12x140) in mine. If I
push it any harder (either CPU or fsb (the board will run with a 160MHz
fsb on a good day)) I tend to get occasional reboots which aren't related
to a weak power supply... I have a decent Zalman PSU in this box.

The main advantage of a more recent CPU on this board for me is that it
can also be run slower than spec and very cool for peaceful basic
computing.

Andrew McP
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2004 1:30:00 AM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:04:31 +0100, Alun Harford wrote:

> One of my other rigs has an Abit KT7A motherboard and 1.2GHz Thunderbird in
> it (133MHz FSB).
> According to the manufacturer, you can only put processors up to 1.4GHz in
> it, but I'm wondering whether it'll take any more recent chips. Does anybody
> know what I can put in it?

Your board with official 133MHz FSB will support a 24x133=3200MHz CPU.
Higher if you overclock the FSB.

> Also, does anybody know of a chip that I can be sure to be able to buy
> mail order and be able to change the multiplier since I'm going to have
> to lower the FSB to get it to work in that board? Thanks.

Might want to verify this, but I think all MP's are unlocked. All MP's
also use a 133MHz SFB, so you wouldn't have to lower the multiplier. You
have many choices for cpu's. Just a few;
2400+, locked or unlocked.
2600+/266, ditto.
2800+ MP, locked or unlocked.
If the multiplier is not internally locked then you can use any you want.
See link below for details.