Fastest processor in an Abit KT7A motherboard

One of my other rigs has an Abit KT7A motherboard and 1.2GHz Thunderbird in
it (133MHz FSB).
According to the manufacturer, you can only put processors up to 1.4GHz in
it, but I'm wondering whether it'll take any more recent chips. Does anybody
know what I can put in it?
Also, does anybody know of a chip that I can be sure to be able to buy mail
order and be able to change the multiplier since I'm going to have to lower
the FSB to get it to work in that board?
Thanks.

Alun Harford
3 answers Last reply
More about fastest processor abit kt7a motherboard

    Install the latest Bio update "A9" then you can upgrade to the Athlon 2400+
    set multiplier to 15x133=2gig.

    Terry

    In article <c65o0p$9r$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>, alunharford@yahoo.com
    (Alun Harford) wrote:

    > According to the manufacturer, you can only put processors up to 1.4GHz
    > in it

    I have a Thoroughbred B 1700+ running at 1680MHz (12x140) in mine. If I
    push it any harder (either CPU or fsb (the board will run with a 160MHz
    fsb on a good day)) I tend to get occasional reboots which aren't related
    to a weak power supply... I have a decent Zalman PSU in this box.

    The main advantage of a more recent CPU on this board for me is that it
    can also be run slower than spec and very cool for peaceful basic
    computing.

    Andrew McP

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:04:31 +0100, Alun Harford wrote:

    > One of my other rigs has an Abit KT7A motherboard and 1.2GHz Thunderbird in
    > it (133MHz FSB).
    > According to the manufacturer, you can only put processors up to 1.4GHz in
    > it, but I'm wondering whether it'll take any more recent chips. Does anybody
    > know what I can put in it?

    Your board with official 133MHz FSB will support a 24x133=3200MHz CPU.
    Higher if you overclock the FSB.

    > Also, does anybody know of a chip that I can be sure to be able to buy
    > mail order and be able to change the multiplier since I'm going to have
    > to lower the FSB to get it to work in that board? Thanks.

    Might want to verify this, but I think all MP's are unlocked. All MP's
    also use a 133MHz SFB, so you wouldn't have to lower the multiplier. You
    have many choices for cpu's. Just a few;
    2400+, locked or unlocked.
    2600+/266, ditto.
    2800+ MP, locked or unlocked.
    If the multiplier is not internally locked then you can use any you want.
    See link below for details.

AMD Processors Motherboards Overclocking