Some obscure MAME greatness...

Everyone's always listing their biggest favourites but how about
those little known great titles that MAME has? After a long break
I have played lots of MAME. I finally bought my X-Arcade controller
and it was worth every cent. I play all kinds of games. Pinball,
sports simulations (NHL series), modern racing games, etc. but
I always go back to MAME when I want to enjoy some "real" gaming.
Doom 3 and Colin McRae Rally 2005 are ok but _nothing_ is better
than classic arcade gaming.

Just a few little known MAME games I've played lately: (Some of my old
favourites, some new discoveries)...

Cosmic Chasm - Well this reminds me of my Vectrex. Gets quite
difficult
later on. Use Asteroids/Gravitar/Space Duel key combination for this.
Breaking 200.000 points barrier is quite a feat.

Quantum - Obscure Atari classic. Fantastic playability with correct
mouse (analog) settings. Extremely addictive.

Money Puzzle Enhanger - Very nice - but difficult in later levels.

Space Duel - Dunno if you can call this "little known" when The
Who even used it in their album cover. But what most people don't know
is that it's SO much better than Asteroids & Asteroids DeLuxe. Even
after 24 years I can't get tired of this. My high Score is over
300k in linked ship version (default dips).

Empire Strikes Back (Atari) - Killer game, probably the best looking
vector game ever. This doesn't even suffer much from the lack of
original controller (unlike the original Star Wars). Extremely
playable with mouse. Highly underrated. Best vector game ever, imo
(after Gravitar of course).

Bal Cube - Nice addictive little game. "Arkanoid on steroids".

Bombjack Twin - Sequels are rarely better than the initial game.
This is a nice exception. Really, it IS good.

Boulder Dash (Max-A-Flex) - Best version, very similar with the old
First Star C64 classic.

Burglar X - Like the "fart effect". Gets old very soon but 20 minutes
of fun.

Phozon - This is my favourite from over 20 years back. Still very
nice. Original idea. This is much easier with my new X-Arcade.

Mr TNT - Forgot what's the 100% working clone of this. Oldie but
goodie.

Peter PackRat - Quite difficult, I still can't get past the third
level.

Puzzli - Puzzle Bobble-type of game. Looks kinda cheap but it's a lot
of fun.

Wiz Warz - Little known gem. Only a few produced. All Robotron fans
should love this. I was actually amazed to find out how good game
this is. Wonder why it never went to production.

The whole Pang Series - the first one is still the best though.

....to be continued.

PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
:)

--
Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats

    >PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
    >little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
    >:)

    Hi Everyone, how you all been? Here's what I think:

    "Unknown Classics"

    Rampart - Atari Castle busting via mouse.. multiplayer or single.

    Metrocross - weird but strangely fun 'running man' game.

    Puzzle Bobble - just plain addictive games

    Xybots - great pseudo FPS with robots and upgrades.. very fun.

    Toobin' - fun and mindless.

    "True Classics"

    Ripoff - Makes my blood pressure shoot up

    I Robot - I never played this in the arcade because it was so weird,
    but it's fun! (and weird)

    Phoenix - busting eggs is good and the explosions are so satisfying
    for an early 80's game.

    Wizard of Wor - come on.. this one rules.

    Tron

    That's all I can think of for now...

    kmtanner@cyberspace.org (K M Tanner) wrote in

    > Everyone's always listing their biggest favourites but how about
    > those little known great titles that MAME has? After a long break
    > I have played lots of MAME. I finally bought my X-Arcade controller
    > and it was worth every cent. I play all kinds of games. Pinball,
    > sports simulations (NHL series), modern racing games, etc. but
    > I always go back to MAME when I want to enjoy some "real" gaming.
    > Doom 3 and Colin McRae Rally 2005 are ok but _nothing_ is better
    > than classic arcade gaming.
    >
    > Just a few little known MAME games I've played lately: (Some of my old
    > favourites, some new discoveries)...

    <snipped>

    > PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
    > little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
    >:)

    Arabian - Evil Genie shoots Bubble-gum at you?
    Venture - Smiley, with a bow. What's under the next "???"?

    Scotty

    "K M Tanner" <kmtanner@cyberspace.org> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > Mr TNT - Forgot what's the 100% working clone of this. Oldie but
    > goodie.
    >
    > Peter PackRat - Quite difficult, I still can't get past the third
    > level.
    >
    > Puzzli - Puzzle Bobble-type of game. Looks kinda cheap but it's a lot
    > of fun.
    >
    > Wiz Warz - Little known gem. Only a few produced. All Robotron fans
    > should love this. I was actually amazed to find out how good game
    > this is. Wonder why it never went to production.
    >
    > The whole Pang Series - the first one is still the best though.
    >
    > ...to be continued.
    >
    > PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
    > little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Some will sell their dreams for small desires

    Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a go over the weekend.

    I must agree with you regarding X-Arcade. I used to use the keyboard and
    then moved on and used a Playstation Controller but Mame became so much
    better when I got an X-Arcade. It makes it REAL Arcade Gaming. I would urge
    to get a proper controller.

    On 21 Apr 2005 20:09:19 -0700, kmtanner@cyberspace.org (K M Tanner)
    wrote:

    [snip]

    >...to be continued.
    >
    >PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
    >little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
    >:)

    I submit Rescue by Stern. They had this one at a deli near me in the
    early 80's. Only time I ever saw it in the wild.
    Uses twin sticks. You pilot a helicopter, fighting off enemies
    Robotron style while trying to pickup up allied soldiers from the
    ocean below.

    Tim

    K M Tanner played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
    and concrete saxophone

    > Everyone's always listing their biggest favourites but how about
    > those little known great titles that MAME has?

    Here's a few that spring to mind
    Uo Poko
    Section Z
    Street Hoops
    Zookeeper
    Salamander

    Some, like Section Z and Salamander because I remember playing them as a
    kid, others because they're just damn cool games.

    Dire Radiant played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
    and concrete saxophone

    > Here's a few that spring to mind
    > Uo Poko
    > Section Z
    > Street Hoops
    > Zookeeper
    > Salamander

    Oops! I forgot Cameltry. Mustn't forget that one.

    On 21 Apr 2005 20:09:19 -0700
    kmtanner@cyberspace.org (K M Tanner) wrote:

    > PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of
    > good, little known games? Life is too short to find all good
    > games in MAME.:)

    I find Chicken Shift addictive.

    Controls consist of two buttons, press the left one changes
    orientation of left side ramps, right one changes right side
    ramps. Eggs start to roll down ramps, you need to make sure the
    ramps are properly aligned to get egg to the bottom.

    Dire Radiant wrote:
    > Dire Radiant played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
    > and concrete saxophone
    >

    >>Here's a few that spring to mind
    >>Uo Poko
    >>Section Z
    >>Street Hoops
    >>Zookeeper
    >>Salamander
    >

    > Oops! I forgot Cameltry. Mustn't forget that one.

    ......or Warlords. Mind you, I only ever got to play it on a 2600 until
    I got MAME, but my friends and I used to bust a gut laughing while
    playing it. <HAPPY_SIGH>.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    NoRomSmoRoN <jboakes@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bv2h61lpn6n2fen5eqvnv17p6iv012hinq@4ax.com>...

    > I Robot - I never played this in the arcade because it was so weird,
    > but it's fun! (and weird)

    Agreed. Although *I* played it lots in the arcade. Return of the Jedi and
    I,Robot came to my local arcade in the same summer. While ROTJ was a huge
    disappointment I,Robot was a jaw-dropping experience back then. Amazing game.

    Gotta agree about Rampart too, lots of fun. Atari has released so many
    fantastic games, it's amazing.

    BTW, here are some nice reviews of this amazing game:
    http://www.totalgames.net/pma/19795
    http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/irobot/anderson/
    http://www.cinemarcade.com/TGTTF/gametime74.html

    --
    You have entered the Twilight Zone
    Beyond this world strange things are known

    THANKS A TON!

    This is such a fun list!

> [...]
    >
    > Mr TNT - Forgot what's the 100% working clone of this. Oldie but
    > goodie.
    >
    > Peter PackRat - Quite difficult, I still can't get past the third
    > level.
    >
    > Puzzli - Puzzle Bobble-type of game. Looks kinda cheap but it's a lot
    > of fun.
    >
    > Wiz Warz - Little known gem. Only a few produced. All Robotron fans
    > should love this. I was actually amazed to find out how good game
    > this is. Wonder why it never went to production.
    >
    > The whole Pang Series - the first one is still the best though.
    >
    > ...to be continued.
    >
    > PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
    > little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Some will sell their dreams for small desires

    Change Air blade-japan - a cross between an unfair sfII battle and a
    shooter (standard shooter fairness ;) )

    dancing eyes-japan- A crazy uncover the girls undies type game thats
    sadly only pg13 these days.

    Mike doyles 96-1 multipac (if you can find it) those who have this know
    the wonders of this.

    Blazing star-neogeo- awesome japanese shooter with bad, yet funny,
    engrish.

    AJax- shooter- good shooter, tough as nails though.

    Ataxx- Frustrating but enjoyable reversi type game.

    I have to say i would agree with 95% of everyone elses lists.

    screw buying a new console, mame has enouge gameplay for almost anyone.
    Now if i can only find people to play keillara(sp?) (online mame) with.

    -isaac

Games Video Games