Some obscure MAME greatness...

Last response: in Video Games
April 22, 2005 12:09:19 AM

Everyone's always listing their biggest favourites but how about
those little known great titles that MAME has? After a long break
I have played lots of MAME. I finally bought my X-Arcade controller
and it was worth every cent. I play all kinds of games. Pinball,
sports simulations (NHL series), modern racing games, etc. but
I always go back to MAME when I want to enjoy some "real" gaming.
Doom 3 and Colin McRae Rally 2005 are ok but _nothing_ is better
than classic arcade gaming.

Just a few little known MAME games I've played lately: (Some of my old
favourites, some new discoveries)...

Cosmic Chasm - Well this reminds me of my Vectrex. Gets quite
difficult
later on. Use Asteroids/Gravitar/Space Duel key combination for this.
Breaking 200.000 points barrier is quite a feat.

Quantum - Obscure Atari classic. Fantastic playability with correct
mouse (analog) settings. Extremely addictive.

Money Puzzle Enhanger - Very nice - but difficult in later levels.

Space Duel - Dunno if you can call this "little known" when The
Who even used it in their album cover. But what most people don't know
is that it's SO much better than Asteroids & Asteroids DeLuxe. Even
after 24 years I can't get tired of this. My high Score is over
300k in linked ship version (default dips).

Empire Strikes Back (Atari) - Killer game, probably the best looking
vector game ever. This doesn't even suffer much from the lack of
original controller (unlike the original Star Wars). Extremely
playable with mouse. Highly underrated. Best vector game ever, imo
(after Gravitar of course).

Bal Cube - Nice addictive little game. "Arkanoid on steroids".

Bombjack Twin - Sequels are rarely better than the initial game.
This is a nice exception. Really, it IS good.

Boulder Dash (Max-A-Flex) - Best version, very similar with the old
First Star C64 classic.

Burglar X - Like the "fart effect". Gets old very soon but 20 minutes
of fun.

Phozon - This is my favourite from over 20 years back. Still very
nice. Original idea. This is much easier with my new X-Arcade.

Mr TNT - Forgot what's the 100% working clone of this. Oldie but
goodie.

Peter PackRat - Quite difficult, I still can't get past the third
level.

Puzzli - Puzzle Bobble-type of game. Looks kinda cheap but it's a lot
of fun.

Wiz Warz - Little known gem. Only a few produced. All Robotron fans
should love this. I was actually amazed to find out how good game
this is. Wonder why it never went to production.

The whole Pang Series - the first one is still the best though.

....to be continued.

PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
:)

--
Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats

More about : obscure mame greatness

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:40:47 AM

>PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
>little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
>:)

Hi Everyone, how you all been? Here's what I think:

"Unknown Classics"

Rampart - Atari Castle busting via mouse.. multiplayer or single.

Metrocross - weird but strangely fun 'running man' game.

Puzzle Bobble - just plain addictive games

Xybots - great pseudo FPS with robots and upgrades.. very fun.

Toobin' - fun and mindless.

"True Classics"

Ripoff - Makes my blood pressure shoot up

I Robot - I never played this in the arcade because it was so weird,
but it's fun! (and weird)

Phoenix - busting eggs is good and the explosions are so satisfying
for an early 80's game.

Wizard of Wor - come on.. this one rules.

Tron

That's all I can think of for now...
April 22, 2005 8:26:42 AM

kmtanner@cyberspace.org (K M Tanner) wrote in

> Everyone's always listing their biggest favourites but how about
> those little known great titles that MAME has? After a long break
> I have played lots of MAME. I finally bought my X-Arcade controller
> and it was worth every cent. I play all kinds of games. Pinball,
> sports simulations (NHL series), modern racing games, etc. but
> I always go back to MAME when I want to enjoy some "real" gaming.
> Doom 3 and Colin McRae Rally 2005 are ok but _nothing_ is better
> than classic arcade gaming.
>
> Just a few little known MAME games I've played lately: (Some of my old
> favourites, some new discoveries)...

<snipped>

> PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
> little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
>:)

Arabian - Evil Genie shoots Bubble-gum at you?
Venture - Smiley, with a bow. What's under the next "???"?

Scotty
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 9:47:35 AM

"K M Tanner" <kmtanner@cyberspace.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Mr TNT - Forgot what's the 100% working clone of this. Oldie but
> goodie.
>
> Peter PackRat - Quite difficult, I still can't get past the third
> level.
>
> Puzzli - Puzzle Bobble-type of game. Looks kinda cheap but it's a lot
> of fun.
>
> Wiz Warz - Little known gem. Only a few produced. All Robotron fans
> should love this. I was actually amazed to find out how good game
> this is. Wonder why it never went to production.
>
> The whole Pang Series - the first one is still the best though.
>
> ...to be continued.
>
> PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
> little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
> :)
>
> --
> Some will sell their dreams for small desires

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a go over the weekend.

I must agree with you regarding X-Arcade. I used to use the keyboard and
then moved on and used a Playstation Controller but Mame became so much
better when I got an X-Arcade. It makes it REAL Arcade Gaming. I would urge
to get a proper controller.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:45:25 PM

On 21 Apr 2005 20:09:19 -0700, kmtanner@cyberspace.org (K M Tanner)
wrote:

[snip]

>...to be continued.
>
>PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
>little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
>:)

I submit Rescue by Stern. They had this one at a deli near me in the
early 80's. Only time I ever saw it in the wild.
Uses twin sticks. You pilot a helicopter, fighting off enemies
Robotron style while trying to pickup up allied soldiers from the
ocean below.

Tim
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 12:52:40 PM

K M Tanner played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
and concrete saxophone

> Everyone's always listing their biggest favourites but how about
> those little known great titles that MAME has?

Here's a few that spring to mind
Uo Poko
Section Z
Street Hoops
Zookeeper
Salamander

Some, like Section Z and Salamander because I remember playing them as a
kid, others because they're just damn cool games.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 2:03:14 PM

Dire Radiant played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
and concrete saxophone

> Here's a few that spring to mind
> Uo Poko
> Section Z
> Street Hoops
> Zookeeper
> Salamander

Oops! I forgot Cameltry. Mustn't forget that one.
Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:23:07 PM

On 21 Apr 2005 20:09:19 -0700
kmtanner@cyberspace.org (K M Tanner) wrote:

> PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of
> good, little known games? Life is too short to find all good
> games in MAME.:)

I find Chicken Shift addictive.

Controls consist of two buttons, press the left one changes
orientation of left side ramps, right one changes right side
ramps. Eggs start to roll down ramps, you need to make sure the
ramps are properly aligned to get egg to the bottom.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 6:09:55 AM

Dire Radiant wrote:
> Dire Radiant played the following on an explodable self-inflating leather
> and concrete saxophone
>

>>Here's a few that spring to mind
>>Uo Poko
>>Section Z
>>Street Hoops
>>Zookeeper
>>Salamander
>

> Oops! I forgot Cameltry. Mustn't forget that one.

......or Warlords. Mind you, I only ever got to play it on a 2600 until
I got MAME, but my friends and I used to bust a gut laughing while
playing it. <HAPPY_SIGH>.

--
Thnik about it!
Dead_Dad

NoRomSmoRoN <jboakes@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bv2h61lpn6n2fen5eqvnv17p6iv012hinq@4ax.com>...

> I Robot - I never played this in the arcade because it was so weird,
> but it's fun! (and weird)

Agreed. Although *I* played it lots in the arcade. Return of the Jedi and
I,Robot came to my local arcade in the same summer. While ROTJ was a huge
disappointment I,Robot was a jaw-dropping experience back then. Amazing game.

Gotta agree about Rampart too, lots of fun. Atari has released so many
fantastic games, it's amazing.

BTW, here are some nice reviews of this amazing game:
http://www.totalgames.net/pma/19795
http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/irobot/anderson/
http://www.cinemarcade.com/TGTTF/gametime74.html

--
You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known

THANKS A TON!

This is such a fun list!

> [...]
>
> Mr TNT - Forgot what's the 100% working clone of this. Oldie but
> goodie.
>
> Peter PackRat - Quite difficult, I still can't get past the third
> level.
>
> Puzzli - Puzzle Bobble-type of game. Looks kinda cheap but it's a lot
> of fun.
>
> Wiz Warz - Little known gem. Only a few produced. All Robotron fans
> should love this. I was actually amazed to find out how good game
> this is. Wonder why it never went to production.
>
> The whole Pang Series - the first one is still the best though.
>
> ...to be continued.
>
> PS: why don't you share yours and give me some gaming tips of good,
> little known games? Life is too short to find all good games in MAME.
> :)
>
> --
> Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:43:18 AM

Change Air blade-japan - a cross between an unfair sfII battle and a
shooter (standard shooter fairness ;)  )

dancing eyes-japan- A crazy uncover the girls undies type game thats
sadly only pg13 these days.

Mike doyles 96-1 multipac (if you can find it) those who have this know
the wonders of this.

Blazing star-neogeo- awesome japanese shooter with bad, yet funny,
engrish.

AJax- shooter- good shooter, tough as nails though.

Ataxx- Frustrating but enjoyable reversi type game.

I have to say i would agree with 95% of everyone elses lists.

screw buying a new console, mame has enouge gameplay for almost anyone.
Now if i can only find people to play keillara(sp?) (online mame) with.

-isaac
!