I think I may need a P4

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is my
issue:

I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.

It takes **forever** to render the DVD.

I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
input

Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

"ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is
> my
> issue:
>
> I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
> It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
> I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> input
>
> Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

You may need to look into getting a dual Athlon64 3400+ system, with 3 or 4
gigs of fast DDRam, (whatever the mobo holds) say PC4400 type. And a fast
SCSI drive with a good SCSI controller, and a Matrox RT.X100.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

Get different software
Sonic MyDVD works well and quickly, as does ULead DVD Workshop.

ZigZag Master wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is my
> issue:
>
> I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
> It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
> I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> input

Rendering MPEG2 video for a DVD will take a *long* time, no matter what
CPU you've got. Some programs work faster than others, but it's a very
CPU intensive activity, no matter how you look at it. Look through
these benchmarks:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/intelamdcpuroundupvideo/

Your 3200 chip is pretty much near the high end of the chart. That is,
unless you want to pay big $$ for the top of the line chip from either
AMD or Intel. (Which is never a good investment)

-WD

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', "ZigZag Master"
<zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> scribbled:

>Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is my
>issue:
>
>I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
>from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
>It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
>I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
>input
>
>Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

A P4 won't gain you a LOT of time, but on www.tomshardware.com,
the P4 3.2ghz beats the A64-3200 by about 6% in the Pinnacle 9 benchmark.
A P4EE 3.4ghz will save you 10% or more, but that's a high price to pay.

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

In message <c68ma8$8tjhs$1@ID-66441.news.uni-berlin.de>
"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote:

> "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> " I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> input "

They are, but not to any huge extent.
MPEG2 creation will still take ages either way.
Cheers!
--
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <c68kse$9aipv$1@ID-226470.news.uni-berlin.de>, "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is my
>issue:
>
>I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
>from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
>It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
>I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
>input
>
>Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

Dont use Studio 8 to do the rendering. Just use Studio to create an AVI file
then feed the avi file into something like TMPGenc or other standalone encoder
and it will go much faster. The studio8 mpeg compression engine is slow ...

"GMAN" <glenzabr@xmission.com> wrote in message
> In article <c68kse$9aipv$1@ID-226470.news.uni-berlin.de>, "ZigZag Master"
<zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is
my
> >issue:
> >
> >I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> >from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
> >
> >It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
> >
> >I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> >input
> >
> >Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM
> >

> Dont use Studio 8 to do the rendering. Just use Studio to create an AVI
file
> then feed the avi file into something like TMPGenc or other standalone
encoder
> and it will go much faster. The studio8 mpeg compression engine is slow

Incredibly slow....get new software before thinking about the hardware.
There are also hardware and hardware/software encoders available from
Canopus.

Wayne Wastier wrote:

> You may need to look into getting a dual Athlon64 3400+ system, with 3 or 4
> gigs of fast DDRam, (whatever the mobo holds) say PC4400 type. And a fast
> SCSI drive with a good SCSI controller, and a Matrox RT.X100.

Since the Athlon64 isn't SMP enabled, I'd say that is going to be pretty
difficult to do.

-WD

"Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Wayne Wastier wrote:
>
>> You may need to look into getting a dual Athlon64 3400+ system, with 3 or
>> 4 gigs of fast DDRam, (whatever the mobo holds) say PC4400 type. And a
>> fast SCSI drive with a good SCSI controller, and a Matrox RT.X100.
>
> Since the Athlon64 isn't SMP enabled, I'd say that is going to be pretty
> difficult to do.
>

> -WD

Sorry, I meant the AMD64 FX

Wayne

Wayne Wastier wrote:

> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Wayne Wastier wrote:
>>

>>>You may need to look into getting a dual Athlon64 3400+ system, with 3 or
>>>4 gigs of fast DDRam, (whatever the mobo holds) say PC4400 type. And a
>>>fast SCSI drive with a good SCSI controller, and a Matrox RT.X100.
>>
>>Since the Athlon64 isn't SMP enabled, I'd say that is going to be pretty
>>difficult to do.
>>

>>-WD
>

> Sorry, I meant the AMD64 FX

The FX chip isn't SMP enabled, either.
You need an Opteron 2xx chip or better if you want multiple AMD64 chips.

-WD

> Wayne Wastier wrote:
>
>> "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

>>>Since the Athlon64 isn't SMP enabled, I'd say that is going to be pretty
>>>difficult to do.
>>>

>>>-WD
>>

>> Sorry, I meant the AMD64 FX
>

> The FX chip isn't SMP enabled, either.
> You need an Opteron 2xx chip or better if you want multiple AMD64 chips.
>

> -WD

OOps, that is what I meant. LOLOL I read about a guy trying to get 4 way
AMD 64 going on the windowsserver_64bit ng, and forgot which version of the
64 bit chip it was.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

"ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is
my
> issue:
>
> I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
> It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
> I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> input
>
> Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

Welcome to the dvd rendering club - it can take ages, some a longer time
than it takes for them to be downloaded with broadband (under optimum
conditions).

- so you can lash out a few hundred pounds to save yourself at tops maybe
10 - 15 minutes per rip- if you think that is good value for money then away
you go. Otherwise you could do what I and many others do - which is to set
the machine up in batch mode and leave it running overnight/during the day -
then either when I get up or come back home the jobs are usually done.

So frankly I do not care if the task could have completed 15 minutes sooner
if I had spend a few hundred more pounds as I am either asleep or out and it
makes no difference what so ever.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

Thanks for everyones input.

I didnt realize that the p4 only allowed 10% improvement.

I will stay with my current setup and try different software.

Thanks!

"Hippy Paul" <null@anon.con> wrote in message

> "ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here
is
> my
> > issue:
> >
> > I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> > from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
> >
> > It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
> >
> > I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> > input
> >
> > Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM
>
> Welcome to the dvd rendering club - it can take ages, some a longer time
> than it takes for them to be downloaded with broadband (under optimum
> conditions).
>
> - so you can lash out a few hundred pounds to save yourself at tops maybe
> 10 - 15 minutes per rip- if you think that is good value for money then
away
> you go. Otherwise you could do what I and many others do - which is to
set
> the machine up in batch mode and leave it running overnight/during the
day -
> then either when I get up or come back home the jobs are usually done.
>
> So frankly I do not care if the task could have completed 15 minutes
sooner
> if I had spend a few hundred more pounds as I am either asleep or out and
it
> makes no difference what so ever.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

"ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is
> my
> issue:
>
> I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
> It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
> I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> input
>
> Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

If you have around $4,200.00 here is an upgrade for you.

MSI VIA K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for Dual/Single AMD Socket 940 Opteron
CPU, Model "K8T Master2-FAR" -RETAIL $206.00
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-436&depa=0

AMD Opteron Model 248, 1MB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - Retail
Get 2 : $845.00 x 2 = $1690.00
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-428&depa=1

1GB DDR PC3200 ECC Registered 400Mhz 128X72R CL3 184-PIN Module
get 4: 316.96 x 4 = 1267.84
http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.asp?itemid=2668940

Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme 999.00
http://shop.ily.com/P_1139.htm

Total = 4162.84

Hope this helps.

Wayne

"Never anonymous Bud" <newskat@katxyzkave.net> wrote in message
> While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', "ZigZag Master"
> <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> scribbled:
>
> >Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is
my
> >issue:
> >
> >I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> >from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
> >
> >It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
> >
> >I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> >input
> >
> >Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM
>
> A P4 won't gain you a LOT of time, but on www.tomshardware.com,
> the P4 3.2ghz beats the A64-3200 by about 6% in the Pinnacle 9 benchmark.
> A P4EE 3.4ghz will save you 10% or more, but that's a high price to pay.
>

> To reply by email, remove the XYZ.
>
> Lumber Cartel (tinlc) #2063. Spam this account at your own risk.
>
> This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

What I think you can do if you really want to go with the P4 is... get a P4c
2.4Ghz and OC it to 3.2Ghz, and the 875 chipset, I guess this way it won't
hurt your wallet too bad but also be a bit faster than the Athlon.

I've heard so many people who get a 2.4 or 2.6Ghz P4, and at a flick of a
switch, obtain 3.2Ghz performance - I must say I am quite temped by the Dark
Side as well as video encoding just takes too long on my Athlons.

I think a good setup will be to have Athlon 64 as game machine / SETI@Home
and use a P4 oc'ed for video encoding stuff

> The FX chip isn't SMP enabled, either.
> You need an Opteron 2xx chip or better if you want multiple AMD64 chips.
>

> -WD

OOps, that is what I meant. LOLOL I read about a guy trying to get 4 way
AMD 64 going on the windowsserver_64bit ng, and forgot which version of the
64 bit chip it was.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+

It wont see but 2 CPU's,you need a super expensive MB to use more than 2
CPU's.

"Courseyauto" <courseyauto@aol.com> wrote in message

>> The FX chip isn't SMP enabled, either.
>> You need an Opteron 2xx chip or better if you want multiple AMD64 chips.
>>

>> -WD
>
> OOps, that is what I meant. LOLOL I read about a guy trying to get 4 way
> AMD 64 going on the windowsserver_64bit ng, and forgot which version of
> the
> 64 bit chip it was.
>

> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>+
>
> It wont see but 2 CPU's,you need a super expensive MB to use more than 2
> CPU's.

I quote from the Microsoft Newsgroup:

"FYI

Windows XP Professional (32-bit) 2-Way SMP
Windows XP 64-bit Edition Version 2003 (Intel Itanium II) 2-Way SMP
Windows XP 64-bit for Extended Systems (AMD64) 2-Way SMP

Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) Web Edition 2-Way SMP
Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) Standard Edition 4-Way SMP
Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) Enterprise Edition 8-Way SMP
Windows Server 2003 (64-bit) (Intel Itanium II and AMD64) Enterprise Edition
8-Way SMP

Windows Server 2003 (32-Bit) Datacenter Edition 32-Way SMP
Windows Server 2003 (64-Bit) (Intel Itanium II) Datacenter Edition 64-Way
SMP and 128-Way SMP

--
Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups"

dos

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

You need better software.....

"ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is
my
> issue:
>
> I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
> It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
> I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> input
>
> Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', "ZigZag Master"
<zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> scribbled:

>Thanks for everyones input.
>
>I didnt realize that the p4 only allowed 10% improvement.
>
>I will stay with my current setup and try different software.

That's probably the easiest solution,
and may yield the best cost/performance benefit.

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

It's not your computer, it's the software. Stick with the Athlon, ditch
Pinnacle.

"ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love them....here is
my
> issue:
>
> I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some DVDs
> from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
> It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
> I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have any
> input
>
> Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

"ZigZag Master" <zigzagmasterSPAMMY@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, been using Athlons forever.....I love
> them....here is my issue:
>
> I just started messing around with Pinnacle Studio 8 to create some
> DVDs from old VHS tapes as well as some AVI's and MPGs.
>
> It takes **forever** to render the DVD.
>
> I have heard that P4s are better at this than Athlons. Anyone have
> any input
>
> Currently have AMD 3200 - 1GB RAM

What actually has to happen when you "render"?

The first thing that you need to do VHS to DVD easily and conveniently
is video input hardware that can capture directly to DVD compatible
MPEG2 in real time. Do you have this?

--

Brian Gregory (In the UK).
ng@bgdsv.co.uk

he was talking about hardware, not what the Server OS will support.

NuTs

> Thanks for everyones input.
>
> I didnt realize that the p4 only allowed 10% improvement.
>
> I will stay with my current setup and try different software.
>
> Thanks!

I am using a dual barton 2800 @ 2.3ghz and get 95 fps encoding in gordian
knot, and a full 8gb dvd can be ripped, processed all ready to burn in under
20 mins using dvd shrink (www.doom9.org).
Tmpegenc also supports dual cpu's as well.
Ulead media studio pro 7 has dual cpu support as well.
And I can encode a dvd and still play games at the same time.
Once you go dual it is really hard to go back to a single cpu system, you
can load a dual up and it is still really responsive, even if windows xp
eplorer starts using 100% cpu use (100% on one cpu 50% total on dual) the
system will still run smoothly.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822430&Product=winxp
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=819101
http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/99449.html
I have been building all my servers for customers as dual's as well they
don't get bogged down by rogue programs that decide to do what windows
explorer does. BTW since NT4 windows explorer has had some of these 100%
bugs a customers accounting package has PIF files that are Printer Info
(formatting) Files that are up to 8mb in size, any time that explorer has to
deal with them it will take 100% of one cpu use on a single cpu server this
slowed the whole network down heaps. Moving to dual cpu's got around this
painfull microsoft bug.
www.2cpu.com for SMP system info.