Burned 1.4 T-Bird, wasn't overclocked

Setup: Biostar M7VIB, AMD 1.4 Athlon T-Bird, PC2100 256MB X4 memory, Spire
Falcon Rock II cpu fan, NVIDIA GeForce2 64MB AGP video, sound card, network
card, SIIG PC133 UltraATA controller, good full server tower case, with 4
case fans and good air flow. (good air flow = no change in cpu temp with
case open and closed)

The computer worked fine since September 2001. It used to have the cheapest
and the most loudest Cooler Master cpu fan (36 DB). I replaced CPU fan
month and a 1/2 ago with FalconRock 2. (+ RadioShack white heat grease).
After that upgrade it worked for month and a half with no trouble, and no
rebooting! Temperatures were about 65 while idling in Windows 2000, and
72-75 while working hard. I was playing Collin McRae Rally 04 for about an
hour, when it suddenly rebooted, and never came up.

CPU was tested on another box, and is known to be dead. I tested M7VIB mobo
with boot card with CPU in and out. Code reads FF, nothing happens, and
BIOS led (on the boot card) is off, indicated trouble with BIOS.

Mobo has a green led inside ZIF socket, with processor off and powered, led
is off. I am able to start mobo by shorting PWR pins with a key. I do not
have a compatible processor to test the mobo.

Given information provided, what's your verdict on the motherboard? I
wouldn't want buying a new one.

I am going to buy an Athlon, what should I buy? I want to use that mobo if
possible, but I should also have something in case it turns out to be dead
too, I want something that is the best for the money right now?

Thanks,

alexc
7 answers Last reply
More about burned bird wasn overclocked

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:25:55 -0400, $eSnail3000 wrote:

    > Setup: Biostar M7VIB, AMD 1.4 Athlon T-Bird, PC2100 256MB X4 memory, Spire
    > Falcon Rock II cpu fan, NVIDIA GeForce2 64MB AGP video, sound card, network
    > card, SIIG PC133 UltraATA controller, good full server tower case, with 4
    > case fans and good air flow. (good air flow = no change in cpu temp with
    > case open and closed)
    >
    > The computer worked fine since September 2001. It used to have the cheapest
    > and the most loudest Cooler Master cpu fan (36 DB). I replaced CPU fan
    > month and a 1/2 ago with FalconRock 2. (+ RadioShack white heat grease).
    > After that upgrade it worked for month and a half with no trouble, and no
    > rebooting! Temperatures were about 65 while idling in Windows 2000, and
    > 72-75 while working hard. I was playing Collin McRae Rally 04 for about an
    > hour, when it suddenly rebooted, and never came up.

    Is that 75C? If so, that's the problem, you burnt the cpu up. Probably
    because the HS wasn't flush on the cpu. It shouldn't have gotton over 55C
    under full load. My 1gig Tbird overclocked to 1.4 idled at about 40C.

    > CPU was tested on another box, and is known to be dead. I tested M7VIB
    > mobo with boot card with CPU in and out. Code reads FF, nothing
    > happens, and BIOS led (on the boot card) is off, indicated trouble with
    > BIOS.
    >
    > Mobo has a green led inside ZIF socket, with processor off and powered,
    > led is off. I am able to start mobo by shorting PWR pins with a key. I
    > do not have a compatible processor to test the mobo.

    An LED inside the soicket? That doesn't make sense. Are you sure this
    isn't the thermistor heat sensor?

    > Given information provided, what's your verdict on the motherboard? I
    > wouldn't want buying a new one.

    My guess is that the MB is ok.

    > I am going to buy an Athlon, what should I buy? I want to use that mobo
    > if possible, but I should also have something in case it turns out to be
    > dead too, I want something that is the best for the money right now?

    Any 266FSB (133Mhz) model. 2400+ XP would be a good choice.

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in
    messagenews:<pan.2004.04.23.05.51.02.624358@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
    > An LED inside the soicket? That doesn't make sense. Are you sure
    this
    > isn't the thermistor heat sensor?

    http://www.motherboards.org/images/15/2002/1070_p7_1.jpg

    Yep, now that I took a closer look it appears solid like a candey.
    Not a

    led.

    AL

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in
    messagenews:<pan.2004.04.23.05.51.02.624358@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
    > An LED inside the soicket? That doesn't make sense. Are you sure
    this
    > isn't the thermistor heat sensor?

    http://www.motherboards.org/images/15/2002/1070_p7_1.jpg

    Yep, now that I took a closer look it appears solid like a candey.
    Not a

    led.

    AL

    "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in
    messagenews:<pan.2004.04.23.05.51.02.624358@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
    > An LED inside the soicket? That doesn't make sense. Are you sure
    this
    > isn't the thermistor heat sensor?

    http://www.motherboards.org/images/15/2002/1070_p7_1.jpg

    Yep, now that I took a closer look it appears solid like a candey.
    Not a

    led.

    AL

    After that upgrade it worked for month and a half with no trouble, and no
    > rebooting! Temperatures were about 65 while idling in Windows 2000, and
    > 72-75 while working hard. I was playing Collin McRae Rally 04 for about
    an
    > Given information provided, what's your verdict on the motherboard? I
    > wouldn't want buying a new one.
    >
    > I am going to buy an Athlon, what should I buy? I want to use that mobo
    if
    > possible, but I should also have something in case it turns out to be dead
    > too, I want something that is the best for the money right now?

    Those CPU's are notorious for very hot operation. Any CPU that spends it's
    entire working life in the 60-70+ range will have a shorter life span. Your
    m/b is probably OK, but consider that you can get a Soltek SL-75FRN2 ,dual
    channel NForce2, 200FSB DDR, AGP 8X, USB 2.0 for about $70US. Couple this
    with a Barton 2500 running at 2200Mhz and you've got a good deal. Your RAM
    needs to upgraded to PC3200.

    "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
    > Those CPU's are notorious for very hot operation. Any CPU that
    spends it's
    > entire working life in the 60-70+ range will have a shorter life
    span. Your
    > m/b is probably OK, but consider that you can get a Soltek
    SL-75FRN2 ,dual
    > channel NForce2, 200FSB DDR, AGP 8X, USB 2.0 for about $70US.
    Couple this
    > with a Barton 2500 running at 2200Mhz and you've got a good deal.
    Your RAM
    > needs to upgraded to PC3200.

    I'd build another computer later on, I just want to recover this and
    use it for something. I want to be one of those guys with 8
    computers. ;-)

    Another quick question:

    I messed with my new heat sink and fan, the Falcon Rock II. The
    thing I did was take off the locking clip (out of the heat sink), I
    didn't bend it, and I put it back in. Yes, my CPU temps were around
    70C with this new heat sink, before and after I messed with it, my
    temps were the same with my old Cooler Master heat sink, which I used
    for over 2 years. Do you think I should get rid of my Falcon Rock II
    heat sink? Should I be using radioshack white grease, if not what
    then?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42001&item=3467605234

    I'm going with Athlon XP 2600+. It's the fastest processor my mobo
    can accept, and in case it's done also, I can buy a new mobo. What
    acceptable temps should I be looking for when I get new processor?
    Both idling, and on load, while in Windows?

    Thanks,

    AL

    > I'm going with Athlon XP 2600+. It's the fastest processor my mobo
    > can accept, and in case it's done also, I can buy a new mobo. What
    > acceptable temps should I be looking for when I get new processor?
    > Both idling, and on load, while in Windows?

    Assuming you've got decent case cooling, a new Tbred 2600 will run way
    cooler than your old Athlon 1400. Should be no need to change your new
    hs/fan assembly. White paste is fine. I use AS5 and it makes a 1-2C
    difference at best. Mid 40's or lower at idle, no higher than mid 50's max
    load are the minimum I'd expect. You may get lower than this.

AMD CPUs Overclocking