Surprise w/XP2K & K7VTA3.

I bo't a cheap, new, cpu-mobo-combo on Ebay to build a simple system.
Cpu was an XP2000+, Thorton core. Went together as sweet as you'd ask,
using WinXP Corp. Then I decided to tinker a tad(I know one shouldn't
tinker w/such a simple system!) , but I incrementally upped the fsb from 133
to finally 164.
Should I be surprised to see it run happily at 164X12.5= 2050? Well, I
was. I have only a little experience at this, but I'm gonna try for a tad
faster later tonight. Should I expect it to do more with only fsb
alterations? Anything else I can do to help out using this mobo & 256mg of
generic, PC2700 DDR?
Thx for all opinions, sdlomi

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:58:42 -0400, sdlomi2 wrote:

> I bo't a cheap, new, cpu-mobo-combo on Ebay to build a simple system.
> Cpu was an XP2000+, Thorton core. Went together as sweet as you'd ask,
> using WinXP Corp. Then I decided to tinker a tad(I know one shouldn't
> tinker w/such a simple system!) , but I incrementally upped the fsb from 133
> to finally 164.
> Should I be surprised to see it run happily at 164X12.5= 2050? Well, I
> was. I have only a little experience at this, but I'm gonna try for a tad
> faster later tonight. Should I expect it to do more with only fsb
> alterations? Anything else I can do to help out using this mobo & 256mg of
> generic, PC2700 DDR?
> Thx for all opinions, sdlomi

If you got it to 164MHz FSB without raising vcore, you can probably get a
lot more out of it by raising vcore a little.

sdlomi2 wrote:
> I bo't a cheap, new, cpu-mobo-combo on Ebay to build a simple
> system. Cpu was an XP2000+, Thorton core. Went together as sweet as
> you'd ask, using WinXP Corp. Then I decided to tinker a tad(I know
> one shouldn't tinker w/such a simple system!) , but I incrementally
> upped the fsb from 133 to finally 164.
> Should I be surprised to see it run happily at 164X12.5= 2050?
> Well, I was. I have only a little experience at this, but I'm gonna
> try for a tad faster later tonight. Should I expect it to do more
> with only fsb alterations? Anything else I can do to help out using
> this mobo & 256mg of generic, PC2700 DDR?
> Thx for all opinions, sdlomi

169 will yield you a nice 2200MHz

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Hi:

I'm surprised you can do what you have done with a K7VTA3.

I have a K7VTA3 Rev 3 PCB 3.1 and an AthlonXP 2100+. Mine will not even do
the 150 MHz selection stable (tried before with my 1800+ as well). It can't
even complete a boot into WinXP. I even used the socket pin mod to up the
voltage to 1.8v and it will boot, but is not stable.

How did you get a "164" setting? The default BIOS only allows set
frequencies (no 1MHz increments). I'm not in the BIOS right now of course
but aren't they something like133, 140, 150, etc?

Bye, Rick

"Rick" <rick@not.here> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> I'm surprised you can do what you have done with a K7VTA3.
>
> I have a K7VTA3 Rev 3 PCB 3.1 and an AthlonXP 2100+. Mine will not even do
> the 150 MHz selection stable (tried before with my 1800+ as well). It
can't
> even complete a boot into WinXP. I even used the socket pin mod to up the
> voltage to 1.8v and it will boot, but is not stable.
>
> How did you get a "164" setting? The default BIOS only allows set
> frequencies (no 1MHz increments). I'm not in the BIOS right now of course
> but aren't they something like133, 140, 150, etc?
>
> Bye, Rick
Hi, Rick. There are 3 settings on mobo via jumpers--100, 133, & 166.
I just set jumpers on mobo to 133, and then upped fsb in bios, by
1mhz-steps, to 164. HTH & thx for your comments. s