DVI support for 1600x1024?

G

I have an SGI 1600sw display with the multilink adapter which supports DVI input. I want to upgrade my video card to a GF3 or an ATI 8500. I know the GF3 cards with DVI output have the hardware capabillity and the software support for 1600x1024(my displays native resolution) but I was wondering if anyone can confirm support from the ATI card with the current drivers. ATI tech support has been less than helpfull and I was hoping that one of this forums members could help me out. Thanks

G

It depends on what OS you would be running. If it was XP, for the ATI card all you would have to do is a simple registry hack that would take like less than 2 minutes. The ATI 8500 is a better card than the GF3 in terms of image quality and features. It has some bugs in the drivers, but those are being improved. I think ATI is trying to improve on their past mistakes, so I would really give the 8500 a chance. I will be getting my computer built this summer and am really considering the 8500DV if I can find a way to overclock the RAM at at least 250Mhz. Maybe a third party will decide to use better ram for the DV version.

Jack Burton is a great man...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I don't like the r8500. Consider how bad the drivers are, especially under xp. My freind has one, and it won't even work! Also, image quality stuff is bs- my Quadro DCC will trounce it in photoshop cause I there are a few things tailored to quadro dcc in photoshop. In games, there is no difference, and the GF3's seem to win teh benchmarks (except 3d mark- but then again, that a theoretical one). the 1600SW needs a vid card that can support it, to get optimal image quality, and Gf3 is one of them.

What if your life moved.....2 inches to the left?

G

Flamethrower, you don't know what you are talking about. Your comments on MVA, video cards, pretty much just about anything seems to be either exaggeratted or just plain wrong. The ATI Radeon 8500 has very good support in XP and works very well. I should know, I know people that own them and they haven't had a problem with them but for a few driver issues (the drivers are still in peliminary stages as not all of the 8500 features are up to par yet, but the next driver release, due in a couple of days is supposed to fix this). I remember when the GF3 was just released it had a slew of driver problems too, just like the 8500 is now in its early stages.

I also had a chance to view many LCD's that use MVA. None of them experienced the color banding which you described, so I am wondering where you read all these bad articles about them from. I am not trying to bash you, but when you make a dumb comment saying a video card doesn't work in a certain OS just by the results of one user, that shows me your intelligence. If the video card didn't work in XP at all, its sales wouldn't be so good, and its reviews would be a lot worse than what ATI is getting right now. Get your facts straight man.

G

Let me add on to my comment. One friend who I have designed his website for him has been doing a review of the 8500 (ATI sent him one), and he also did a review of the 8500DV. He hasn't posted the review yet as he is having too much fun with the cards (uses XP too). The website is www.soundcardcentral.com . Also, I have written drivers for ATI's previous cards, and work for a reputable site called www.rage3d.com . I also work for a few other nVidia sites also, www.guru3d.com (which is now gone, was a great site too) and www.nvnews.com. So I am not biased towards nVidia nor ATI, and both cards are good. But fact remains, ATI Radeon 8500 has better image quality and features which work fine in XP. GF3 has the better driver support currently and is a faster card, but its features and image quality support are very lacking and very basic. I recommend both cards, but each on a different basis as to what you are looking for. Some perfer performance over image quality, and others the image quality. Personally I perfer image quality, but there you go...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yes..of course I'm an idiot. I only owned an MVA monitor.....that's all, no first hand experience...... Also, I have read reviews of other MVA's that have had color banding. Hopefully teh technology has changed, and is better, but the ones I saw, and used, had that problem. In addition, don't even start w/ the R8500 bs- I have seen plenty of reviews w/ the preliminary drives in which it didn't work well w/ Athlons systems, or XP- go find it in THG if u need proof. My freind has an ati vid card, and it won't work under XP.

G

Ok, I am tired of your MVA bs. I want links to the articles that you read. If you can't provide them then don't bother to post about it. I want more than one too. I also want reviews where it says the ATI Radeon 8500 does not work in XP. Just cause your friend can't figure out what is wrong with his 8500 not working in XP doesn't mean that's an issue with the 8500. That's just an issue with him, and I would be glad to help him out because I know a lot about the card. As for image quality in the GF3, it's damned good, but the ATI 8500 beats it because of its better image quality features.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, first for R8500 (oh, and my freind doesn't have an R8500- u will find I never specifically said he has an R8500)
http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q4/011016/index.html
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1544&p=14
and also some article I saw in PC Mag (the actual magazine, not on teh web).
Now for MVA:
http://www.pcmag.com/article/0,2997,s=1568&a=4686,00.asp (and my personal experience)
This is on the Princeton Senergy 560 using MVA:
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2674906,00.html
There were also a few others, which sadly don't seem to be on teh web anymore.

G

Those articles never stated that the 8500 did not work in XP. Nor did those articles contribute the LCD problem to MVA. Your proof is lacking....

And sorry, for some reason I thought you said your friend had one??? Oh well, those 8500 reviews are kinda old as they are not even using the current drivers for the 8500. I would like to see reviews using the current drivers....

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
WTF?! There must be some weird error w/ THGC, cause I posted links and stuff, and now it's gone. It also said 3 new for Flat Panels, so I went here, saw that it said new for this post, and there's nothing! WTF?!

G

Right....anyway, I still recommend the 8500, and I also recommend LCD's with MVA. It's hard to believe so many companies would promote MVA if it sucked so much, esp. many like Viewsonic who use their flagship LCD (their 23" one) with MVA. I have finally been able to see at least 5 LCD's with MVA in stores, and I have to say they look great. I haven't been able to see the VG191 yet, as I haven't found a store which sells them. But I think CompUSA has some, and I will be going to Austin this weekend and will look at one if they have it on display. I hope I am not disappointed.

G

They never stated that MVA caused the color banding, and so you still have no direct proof. I recommend other people to go check out LCD's in stores that use MVA. You'll be pleased by what you see, trust me.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
But doesn't it strike you as od that the two monitors w/ MVA have banding issues? Also, I remember seeing an article on one of the first Fujitsu LCD's using MVA that had banding.

G

Ok, if you remember that, then I remember an article that said MVA had no problems whatsoever, but damn, I just can't find the link. Oh, but I do remember that.

Two LCD's out of the many that use MVA have banding issues, so hell, let's just say MVA sucks. I mean, why not, there are so many other LCD's out there that use MVA, and they don't seem to have the problem, but because these two have it, MVA sucks. End of story.

I have one word for you.....logic.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Why thank you, I am logical. Those were a few of the first LCD's to use MVA- they were basically teh only ones, aside from the Fujitsu one which had banding issues as well. At that time, when I assume people like you were still wondering what an LCD was, MVA had just come out, and certainly had issues.

G

Then why are you bashing MVA??? Those were the 1st ones, and the ones out now don't seem to have the problem. I am not trying to bash you up man, but geeze, look around. I went to 3 different stores and with a store rep we looked at LCD's with MVA, even hooked some up out of the box. Didn't see color banding, and we both tried damned hard to find it. I went to Austin and looked at the VG191 at CompUSA this morning (couldn't wait), no banding there either. That thing's huge though, and definately worth the 1000 dollars. Too bad CompUSA was selling them for around 1400, or I would have gotten one on the spot. I guess I'll still wait till mid-summer, but none of the LCD's that I saw, which probably totalled 7, that had MVA did not have any color banding issues whatsoever. They look great and I recommend them. If the first LCD's that came out had color banding issues due to MVA (which was sometime ago, give me a break), then I guess they fixed that problem in a hurry.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Fine. reason I hated MVA was cause I had my hopes up, and then that problem. I guess ur right- maybe it is time to give it a chance again. I'll take a trip to a computer shop that sells LCD's soon. Now that we've got that over, I'm beginning to question my decision on whether or not to stick w/ the TFT7020, cause I can get the planar 17.4 inch at the same price, but won't have to wait till jan 12! My concern is that planar seemed to come out of the blue- I know they've been with military and all, but I haven't seen their LCD's really. Also, it seems that the translucent case would be annoying, and Dell, from whom I can get it at cheapest doesn't seel teh opaque 17.4 inchers. Damnit! Plus Dell's website says things that are different than Planar's website. What do u think?

G

Well, if you order from Dell, you will always get delays. I know cause I work for them in Austin. The Planar seems like a good choice though, but again, it's Dell, so be prepared to wait no matter what man (unless you get lucky).

I'll add on to this post to say that I think you should wait for the Compaq. If you want results, call up Dell and hassle them, and I mean hassle them. Just keep calling until they get your order through and shipped, because that's the only way to speed things along with them. I dunno what else I can tell you about that man but good luck.

Jack Burton is a great man...<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Buddwm on 12/22/01 08:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Well, if they don't do anything for you and they delay the order again, I say just cancel it and go with another online sales site like www.mwave.com (which is one of the best around with lowest prices). Also try www.newegg.com. Both sites have a lot of choices. Also go to ZDNet and type in the LCD you are wanting to buy. It'll give you a price comparison on some top places. Pricewatch.com is another good place. Beyond that, if you like waiting, stay with Dell.