Duron 1800 OC (work in progress)

I have a Duron 1800 (MIXJB0412XPMW) on Gigabyte 7S748. I thought of buying
ECS L7S7A2 but they have sold them and I then choosed Gigabyte 7S748.
Unfortunatly Gigabyte 7S748 doesnt have agp/pci lock and I am limited in my
OC by my graphic card (system is stable on 79.5MHz AGP or 159MHz FSB). I
tried upping my AGP voltage (+0.1V) but I get same results ?

Is there a way to make the MBO think my processor is 166FSB processor and
when I put 166FSB that it changes the AGP back to 66MHz (i think that this
MBO supports 166MHz FSB processor)? Or is this not possible? If my
motherboard doesn't support 166MHz processors, damn :)

Any way to change multiplier? Pinmod?

Does the system not POST because graphic card is overheating (when AGP speed
is greater than normal) or because AGP becomes unstable?

Is there a program for calculating PR rating of a processor? I think there
was a webpage but when I changed MBO I formatted my disk and forgot to save
the link :)

What about my stepping?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:08:40 +0200, CroW wrote:

> I have a Duron 1800 (MIXJB0412XPMW) on Gigabyte 7S748. I thought of buying
> ECS L7S7A2 but they have sold them and I then choosed Gigabyte 7S748.
> Unfortunatly Gigabyte 7S748 doesnt have agp/pci lock and I am limited in my
> OC by my graphic card (system is stable on 79.5MHz AGP or 159MHz FSB). I
> tried upping my AGP voltage (+0.1V) but I get same results ?
>
> Is there a way to make the MBO think my processor is 166FSB processor
> and when I put 166FSB that it changes the AGP back to 66MHz (i think
> that this MBO supports 166MHz FSB processor)? Or is this not possible?
> If my motherboard doesn't support 166MHz processors, damn :)

Set the FSB to 166Mhz and the PCI/AGp will be back to normal values of
33/66MHz. The sis748 chipset is one of the best around, so unless
Gigiabyte really screwed it up with the bios, then there shouldn't be any
problems even beyond 200Mhz FSB. It fully supports it.

> Any way to change multiplier? Pinmod?

Sure, the pinmod will work if your cpu is unlocked. But it's unlikely that
it is unlocked looking at the date code you provided. The pinmod will work
for vcore though. With your 1800 Duron, which appears to be a Tbred B core
with disabled cache, it should run at 166Mhz FSB without much effort. I'd
start with a vcore of 1.70v and go up or down from there. With a default
multiplier of 13.5, you should get 2250MHz, a 2800+ (minus the extra cache).

> Does the system not POST because graphic card is overheating (when AGP
> speed is greater than normal) or because AGP becomes unstable?

I'd be more cercerned with the ram and ram settings. One thing I can state
for certain. It's not the FSB holding you back.

> What about my stepping?

Looks like a Tbred B core. CPUID would be more accurate.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> Set the FSB to 166Mhz and the PCI/AGp will be back to normal values of
> 33/66MHz. The sis748 chipset is one of the best around, so unless
> Gigiabyte really screwed it up with the bios, then there shouldn't be any
> problems even beyond 200Mhz FSB. It fully supports it.
>
> > Any way to change multiplier? Pinmod?
> >
> Sure, the pinmod will work if your cpu is unlocked. But it's unlikely that
> it is unlocked looking at the date code you provided. The pinmod will work
> for vcore though. With your 1800 Duron, which appears to be a Tbred B core
> with disabled cache, it should run at 166Mhz FSB without much effort. I'd
> start with a vcore of 1.70v and go up or down from there. With a default
> multiplier of 13.5, you should get 2250MHz, a 2800+ (minus the extra
cache).

I tried setting the FSB to 166Mhz but it didn't POST, why was that? Should I
put more voltage (In bios I can go to +10%)

> > Does the system not POST because graphic card is overheating (when AGP
> > speed is greater than normal) or because AGP becomes unstable?
> >
> I'd be more cercerned with the ram and ram settings. One thing I can state
> for certain. It's not the FSB holding you back.

In BIOS there are no ram setting (too bad I know :)). I can only set the
speed at which ram is operating, I tried it with 250MHz (its DDR333) but the
same thing happened (no post at 166MHz).

Is there any way to unlock cache on superlocked Duron (like mine?, I heard
that it cannot be done but I must confirm it :))

Thanks for the answers.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message

> Sure, the pinmod will work if your cpu is unlocked. But it's unlikely that
> it is unlocked looking at the date code you provided. The pinmod will work
> for vcore though. With your 1800 Duron, which appears to be a Tbred B core
> with disabled cache, it should run at 166Mhz FSB without much effort. I'd
> start with a vcore of 1.70v and go up or down from there. With a default
> multiplier of 13.5, you should get 2250MHz, a 2800+ (minus the extra
cache).

One more question :), if I set my vcore through the pin mod, I set the
default vcore of the processor (and then I can add more through the BIOS?).

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:59:22 +0200, CroW wrote:

> I tried setting the FSB to 166Mhz but it didn't POST, why was that? Should I
> put more voltage (In bios I can go to +10%)

Yes, try more vcore. You're trying to run it at 2250MHz (13.5x166.67).
Should be doable. I've run my 2100+ at 13x185 (24xxMHz) at 1.80v. on a
SIS746FX chipset (K7S8X R3 MB), and 10.5x215 on the same board.

> In BIOS there are no ram setting (too bad I know :)). I can only set the
> speed at which ram is operating, I tried it with 250MHz (its DDR333) but
> the same thing happened (no post at 166MHz).

Put it on slowest possible til you get a post.

> Is there any way to unlock cache on superlocked Duron (like mine?, I
> heard that it cannot be done but I must confirm it :))

Sorry, don't know.

Can you confirm CPUID is 681 (B core) and not 680 (A core).

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:20:10 +0200, CroW wrote:

> One more question :), if I set my vcore through the pin mod, I set the
> default vcore of the processor (and then I can add more through the BIOS?).

Good question. Wish I had an answer. Let me know.:)

> Can you confirm CPUID is 681 (B core) and not 680 (A core).

Yes, CPUID is 0681.

> > One more question :), if I set my vcore through the pin mod, I set the
> > default vcore of the processor (and then I can add more through the
BIOS?).

> Good question. Wish I had an answer. Let me know.:)

As soon as I find the time I will tryout the pinmodding and voltage so I
will post the results then :).

Tnx for the help

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:03:44 +0200, CroW wrote:

> "Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
>> Can you confirm CPUID is 681 (B core) and not 680 (A core).
>
> Yes, CPUID is 0681.

Then unless you're extremely unlucky and really got a bad one, 2250MHz
shouldn't be a problem for it with enough vcore. The only problem I can
think you might have is if the bios doesn't change the dividers properly.
They should change to the next highest at half way to the next. IOW's at
149Mhz, the divider should change from the normal 4 at 133 to 5, and stay
there until it gets to about 184, and then go to 6. At least that makes
a little sense.