Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

hi

i am just about to buy me an nice AMD64 3200 2GHZ, i am just wondering
what peoples thoughts where on a good board i see it can have a FSB of
1600MHZ but i can only find 800MHZ FSB, am i getting confused or is no
one making FSB that fast yet

Thanks in advance

Chris

Chris wrote:
> hi
>
> i am just about to buy me an nice AMD64 3200 2GHZ, i am just wondering
> what peoples thoughts where on a good board i see it can have a FSB of
> 1600MHZ but i can only find 800MHZ FSB, am i getting confused or is no
> one making FSB that fast yet

FSB of 1600MHz is too fast these days. Hypertransport is specced to 800MHz
DDR, which is 1600M transfers per second. Thats likely what is meant.

The NForce 250 only supports 600MHz, the newer one is supposed to support
800MHz. Whether 600MHz is a real disadvantage is unknown, but from what I
recall, both VIA and SIS have products that are 800MHz and seem to beat it
in many benchmarks.

Check Anandtech or some other reputable site for benchmark results.

As to board manufacturer - whoever is flavour of the month, thats usually
Asus, Abit, MSI, but somewhat depends on budget and options, and task
required.

Ben

If you can hold out a week or 3, get the nForce3 250 chipset based
motherboard(s).

Ben Pope wrote:
> The NForce 250 only supports 600MHz, the newer one is supposed to support
> 800MHz.

My bad - the nForce3 150 is the slow one, the nForce3 250 is 800MHz in both
directions. It should be quite a contender.

Ben