Invisible HDD after reinstalling WinXP

Hi guys, I have 2 maxtor (60gb pr master and 200gb pr slave) that
worked perfectly until I reinstalled Winxp, just to see that the 200gb
hdd has become invisibile in My Computer but can be seen as hardware
with all its stats and is operative. But there’s no way to access it.
Is there a way to set that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Invisible-HDD-reinstalling-WinXP-ftopict554830.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1762283

Try going to run,type:diskmgmt.msc If it shows in msc,L.click on the
drive,go to
actions,all,select,make drive active.If it doesnt show,go to run,type:cmd In
cmd type:DiskPart In DiskPart,type:list disk Then:list volume And/or type:
HELP For all cmds

"Perseus75" wrote:

> Hi guys, I have 2 maxtor (60gb pr master and 200gb pr slave) that
> worked perfectly until I reinstalled Winxp, just to see that the 200gb
> hdd has become invisibile in My Computer but can be seen as hardware
> with all its stats and is operative. But there’s no way to access it.
> Is there a way to set that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Invisible-HDD-reinstalling-WinXP-ftopict554830.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1762283

Did you reapply SP2?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"Perseus75" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, I have 2 maxtor (60gb pr master and 200gb pr slave) that
> worked perfectly until I reinstalled Winxp, just to see that the 200gb
> hdd has become invisibile in My Computer but can be seen as hardware
> with all its stats and is operative. But there's no way to access it.
> Is there a way to set that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Invisible-HDD-reinstalling-WinXP-ftopict554830.html

"Perseus75" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, I have 2 maxtor (60gb pr master and 200gb pr slave) that
> worked perfectly until I reinstalled Winxp, just to see that the 200gb
> hdd has become invisibile in My Computer but can be seen as hardware
> with all its stats and is operative. But there's no way to access it.
> Is there a way to set that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Go to disk management and allocate a drive letter , should do it.

"" wrote:
> "Perseus75" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> > Hi guys, I have 2 maxtor (60gb pr master and 200gb pr slave)
> that
> > worked perfectly until I reinstalled Winxp, just to see that
> the 200gb
> > hdd has become invisibile in My Computer but can be seen as
> hardware
> > with all its stats and is operative. But there's no way to
> access it.
> > Is there a way to set that? Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanx
> >

> Go to disk management and allocate a drive letter , should do
> it.

In Disk management the hdd is "active" (italian xp version) but
still no way to access its menu to change or assign a letter. In all
activities the only submenu open is "cancel partition". any other
tip? thanx

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Invisible-HDD-reinstalling-WinXP-ftopict554830.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1762615

"" wrote:
> Did you reapply SP2?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> knew!"
>
> "Perseus75" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> > Hi guys, I have 2 maxtor (60gb pr master and 200gb pr slave)
> that
> > worked perfectly until I reinstalled Winxp, just to see that
> the 200gb
> > hdd has become invisibile in My Computer but can be seen as
> hardware
> > with all its stats and is operative. But there's no way to
> access it.
> > Is there a way to set that? Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanx
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Invisible-HDD-reinstalling-WinXP-ftopict554830.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1762283

no. I wanted to do that but discovered that the hdd 200 was missing in
My Computer but present in Disk Management. Do u think it depends on
XP?

If you have one large partition, larger than 137 gig - it might (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"" wrote:
> If you have one large partition, larger than 137 gig - it
> might (-:
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> knew!"
>
> "Perseus75" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "" wrote:
> > > Did you reapply SP2?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Richard Urban
> > >
> > > Quote from: George Ankner
> > > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> > > knew!"
> > >
> > > "Perseus75" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> > > message
> slave)
> > > that
> that
> > > the 200gb
> as
> > > hardware
> > > access it.
> appreciated.
> > > Thanx

> > > standards
> > > abuse:
> >
> > no. I wanted to do that but discovered that the hdd 200 was
> missing in
> > My Computer but present in Disk Management. Do u think it
> depends on
> > XP?

All I want is to access my files on the hdd200 that Disk MAnagement
sees baut not My computer. As I get them I could format it. How can I
assign a letter to hdd200?

Disk management sees it. What exactly does it say about the drive. What
options are you presented with when you highlight and right click the drive?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

"" wrote:
> Disk management sees it. What exactly does it say about the
> drive. What
> options are you presented with when you highlight and right
> click the drive?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> knew!"
>
> "Perseus75" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "" wrote:
> > > If you have one large partition, larger than 137 gig - it
> > > might (-:
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Richard Urban
> > >
> > > Quote from: George Ankner
> > > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
> > > knew!"
> > >
> > > "Perseus75" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

> you

> pr
> > > slave)
> see
> > > that
> seen
> > > as
> way
> > > appreciated.

> usenet
> Report

> was
> > > missing in
> it
> > > depends on
> >
> > All I want is to access my files on the hdd200 that Disk
> MAnagement
> > sees baut not My computer. As I get them I could format it.
> How can I
> > assign a letter to hdd200?

In disk Management the hdd has no letter, only the name I set to it.
And when I right-click it a menu appears with only "cancel
partition" and "online help" (Italian xp, to make it clear to you).
I got activated the Recovery Console and someone advised me to set
FIXMBR but I was scared about formating my hdd and losing 150 gigs of
hard-earned stuff.
What would you do in a similar case? Thanx

"Perseus75" wrote:
> In disk Management the hdd has no letter, only the name I set
> to it. And when I right-click it a menu appears with only
> "cancel partition" and "online help" (Italian xp, to make it
> clear to you). I got activated the Recovery Console and
> someone advised me to set FIXMBR but I was scared about
> formating my hdd and losing 150 gigs of hard-earned stuff.
> What would you do in a similar case? Thanx

FIXMBR comand on recovery console doesn’t solve the problem. XP still
blocks the use of the hdd...

"Perseus75" wrote:
> FIXMBR comand on recovery console doesn't solve the problem.
> XP still blocks the use of the hdd...

You need to initailise the HDD in disk management. I believe you need
to right click the disk and select initialise from the context menu.
Try that and if that fails go to import foreign disk.