can't find DVD drives

July 9, 2005 9:52:09 AM

I have two DVD Drives on my windows xp proffesional system. The have
been working fine until about two weeks ago. They were running as
master and slave. Now for some reason my system will not recognize
either drive. It says that it knows they are there and installs the
drivers but can not find the device. ( Code 41) Does anyone know what
code 41 is? I have removed them from the system and tried reinstalling
them but it still does not recognize them. The drives are good because
I have tried them on another machine and they work fine. I have even
installed my hard drive on the secondary ide port to make sure it
works. All seems to be working fine except that it can't see my DVD
drives. Any help would be appreciated.

--
billk9

More about : find dvd drives

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 4:05:04 PM

it should say what the code is in the same page.
i never ran into a code 41 before but i might be able to help. i'll try my
best.

from,
Steven

"billk9" <billk9.1rwh1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have two DVD Drives on my windows xp proffesional system. The have
> been working fine until about two weeks ago. They were running as
> master and slave. Now for some reason my system will not recognize
> either drive. It says that it knows they are there and installs the
> drivers but can not find the device. ( Code 41) Does anyone know what
> code 41 is? I have removed them from the system and tried reinstalling
> them but it still does not recognize them. The drives are good because
> I have tried them on another machine and they work fine. I have even
> installed my hard drive on the secondary ide port to make sure it
> works. All seems to be working fine except that it can't see my DVD
> drives. Any help would be appreciated.
>

> --
> billk9
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 5:50:30 PM

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this
website

CD-ROM Drive or DVD-ROM Drive Missing After You Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19,
or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

(It'll fix code 41 errors too as per the contents of the last kb article)

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

!