Recovery Console Large HD Support?

I have a Maxtor HD of 250MB, of which only the first 137GB are recognised
when running the Recovery Console. I can find no advice on Maxtor's
website, and the only other info relating to large HD limitations relates
to running in a fully booted Windows

Is there a driver or fix that can be applied to the Recovery Console files,
which are installed to my HD?

--
Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than usual

To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @ btconnect.com

Filthy McNasty <filthy-mcnasty@here.now> wrote:

>I have a Maxtor HD of 250MB, of which only the first 137GB are recognised
>when running the Recovery Console. I can find no advice on Maxtor's
>website, and the only other info relating to large HD limitations relates
>to running in a fully booted Windows
>
>Is there a driver or fix that can be applied to the Recovery Console files,
>which are installed to my HD?

You say that when you boot into the Windows XP Recovery Console you
only see 137 gb of the drive's capacity.

When you boot into Windows XP do you see the full 250 gb?

How are you booting into Recovery Console? From bootable diskettes,
or did you install the Recovery Console onto the hard drive and access
it from the Windows XP Startup Menu?

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
continuum as Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> revealed in

> When you boot into Windows XP do you see the full 250 gb?

Yes. All AOK. Windows Fix applied

> How are you booting into Recovery Console? From bootable diskettes,
> or did you install the Recovery Console onto the hard drive and access
> it from the Windows XP Startup Menu?

Installed to hard drive and accessed from Windows XP Pro Boot/StartUp
Menu

I have limited my XP use to only the 137GB viewed from RC. I figure
that if the repair mode can't see it it's not recoverable in an
emergency, which is, naturally, when I most need the RC. Nevertheless,
I would like the rest of my disk to be viewable at low level so that I
can use the free space with some measure of confidence

--
Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than
usual

To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @
btconnect.com

I have not tried this but if you install the recovery console from a copy of
Windows XP SP2, I believe the RC will see the entire drive space. The reason
I have not tried this is because I always partition my drives and never
allow more than about 60 gig on a single partition. I can see them all, even
on a 400 gig hard drive.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban