One-way Network Problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
April 16, 2005 9:05:55 PM

This one has stumped me. I set up a client's network which worked fine
at my address but two days later has a puzzling problem. Consists of a
USRobotics 9106 wifi modem/router/switch, an XP desktop connected to the
switch with ethernet cable, and an XP Laptop connecting via a wifi adaptor.

Both can access the Internet. The laptop can access the desktop share
and ping it with no problem. But the desktop has BIG trouble pinging the
laptop. Sometimes pings get through with big delays but mostly they time
out. So we have a link that acts a bit like a diode - only works one way!

The desktop NIC has a static address (192.168.1.2) with proper subnet
mask and correct DNS entries.

Any bright ideas as to what I can do to track down the problem?

TIA.

More about : network problem

April 16, 2005 10:58:20 PM

Linw wrote:
> This one has stumped me. I set up a client's network which worked fine
> at my address but two days later has a puzzling problem. Consists of a
> USRobotics 9106 wifi modem/router/switch, an XP desktop connected to the
> switch with ethernet cable, and an XP Laptop connecting via a wifi adaptor.
>
> Both can access the Internet. The laptop can access the desktop share
> and ping it with no problem. But the desktop has BIG trouble pinging the
> laptop. Sometimes pings get through with big delays but mostly they time
> out. So we have a link that acts a bit like a diode - only works one way!
>
> The desktop NIC has a static address (192.168.1.2) with proper subnet
> mask and correct DNS entries.
>
> Any bright ideas as to what I can do to track down the problem?
>
> TIA.
is the desktop firewall off ?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 18, 2005 1:11:46 AM

atec wrote:
> Linw wrote:
>
>> This one has stumped me. I set up a client's network which worked fine
>> at my address but two days later has a puzzling problem. Consists of a
>> USRobotics 9106 wifi modem/router/switch, an XP desktop connected to
>> the switch with ethernet cable, and an XP Laptop connecting via a wifi
>> adaptor.
>>
>> Both can access the Internet. The laptop can access the desktop share
>> and ping it with no problem. But the desktop has BIG trouble pinging
>> the laptop. Sometimes pings get through with big delays but mostly
>> they time out. So we have a link that acts a bit like a diode - only
>> works one way!
>>
>> The desktop NIC has a static address (192.168.1.2) with proper subnet
>> mask and correct DNS entries.
>>
>> Any bright ideas as to what I can do to track down the problem?
>>
>> TIA.
>
> is the desktop firewall off ?
No. I use ZA on both and both links worked fine when they left my place.
There is a trusted zone setup covering the LAN static IP address range.
!