Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Chipset descriptions

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 27, 2004 4:35:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Hi

Does anyone know where the chipsets are details, technical specification etc
for example the nforce chipset.

Justin

More about : chipset descriptions

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2004 4:57:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Justin Barnes wrote:
> Does anyone know where the chipsets are details, technical
> specification etc for example the nforce chipset.

What sort of details? Things such as low-level software and hardware things
are (in my experience) only available under NDA, so even if someone had them
they wouldn't give them to you. Some things, such as PCI configuration
registers are somewhat available, though there usually are significant
numbers of "reserved" bits.

However, if you just want to know details like electrical characteristics or
pinouts (for example if you want to hook up a signal analyser to a board)
then it's probably all in the datasheet. Which, however, is not publically
available for the NF2 :) 

Finally, if you're just interested in general details (such as "built in"
functionality) then any number of review sites will have this sort of thing.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2004 4:57:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

My question really relates to which chipset locks the pci & agp bus, thereby
helping with overclocking. Where is this information stored?

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
news:mNsjc.494$g52.16294@news.xtra.co.nz...
> Justin Barnes wrote:
> > Does anyone know where the chipsets are details, technical
> > specification etc for example the nforce chipset.
>
> What sort of details? Things such as low-level software and hardware
things
> are (in my experience) only available under NDA, so even if someone had
them
> they wouldn't give them to you. Some things, such as PCI configuration
> registers are somewhat available, though there usually are significant
> numbers of "reserved" bits.
>
> However, if you just want to know details like electrical characteristics
or
> pinouts (for example if you want to hook up a signal analyser to a board)
> then it's probably all in the datasheet. Which, however, is not publically
> available for the NF2 :) 
>
> Finally, if you're just interested in general details (such as "built in"
> functionality) then any number of review sites will have this sort of
thing.
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2004 4:57:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

The NF2 locks it - but then, I suspect you already knew that ... even if you
don't quite believe it.
Are you trying to settle an argument ?
'Cos I can settle it for you.
The PCI and AGP busses are fully independent, ie - of FSB and one another
.... no dividers, just on their own busses.
And that's official (Scumball Electronics)

"Justin Barnes" <Justin__Barnes@Hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c6lpfu$4r0$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> My question really relates to which chipset locks the pci & agp bus,
thereby
> helping with overclocking. Where is this information stored?
>
> "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> news:mNsjc.494$g52.16294@news.xtra.co.nz...
> > Justin Barnes wrote:
> > > Does anyone know where the chipsets are details, technical
> > > specification etc for example the nforce chipset.
> >
> > What sort of details? Things such as low-level software and hardware
> things
> > are (in my experience) only available under NDA, so even if someone had
> them
> > they wouldn't give them to you. Some things, such as PCI configuration
> > registers are somewhat available, though there usually are significant
> > numbers of "reserved" bits.
> >
> > However, if you just want to know details like electrical
characteristics
> or
> > pinouts (for example if you want to hook up a signal analyser to a
board)
> > then it's probably all in the datasheet. Which, however, is not
publically
> > available for the NF2 :) 
> >
> > Finally, if you're just interested in general details (such as "built
in"
> > functionality) then any number of review sites will have this sort of
> thing.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Brown
> > www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :) 
> > Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2004 4:57:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd (More info?)

Justin Barnes wrote:
> My question really relates to which chipset locks the pci & agp bus,
> thereby helping with overclocking. Where is this information stored?

The only one I know of is the nForce2. The information is stored in my head
:-p

What CPU are you looking to use? If it's a Socket A, nForce2 is your
option.

Ben
--
A7N8X FAQ: www.ben.pope.name/a7n8x_faq.html
Questions by email will likely be ignored, please use the newsgroups.
I'm not just a number. To many, I'm known as a String...
!