ThermalTake Silent Boost Cpu Cooler these any good, quiet ..

Just need a quiet cooler, and overclocking wont be done.

The Vantec Aeroflow was said to be quiet, not for me, it hink it was
when i bought it but now seems much louder ands it codl here now still
stuck at 46c CPU, 21 Ambient.

Any one recommend the Silent Boost would it be quieter than the Vantec
AeroFlow ?

Thanks.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"We Live For The One We Die For The One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:uc1t80tfavi51vefr0jllnj8j1pejk4l2m@4ax.com...

> Just need a quiet cooler, and overclocking wont be done.
>
> The Vantec Aeroflow was said to be quiet, not for me, it hink it was
> when i bought it but now seems much louder ands it codl here now still
> stuck at 46c CPU, 21 Ambient.
>
> Any one recommend the Silent Boost would it be quieter than the Vantec
> AeroFlow ?
>
> Thanks.

Dunno if it would be quieter. Maybe. But its not that good really. The
heatsink itself is OK I think - it seems solid enough and its all copper
with lots of fins. My guess is the fan is not too special.

I replaced my Silent Boost with a Thermalright SLK-900A and a medium-speed
Pabst fan. The new combo is quieter than the Silent Boost, and it knocked
6C off my CPU temps!!! Perhaps the Silent Boost heatsink with the Pabst fan
would have done OK.

The one thing the Silent Boost does have going for it is value. Its
extremely good value considering the quality of the heatsink. My combo
probably cost 3x the price.... for essentially the same thing.

Chip.

I've been running a Thermaltake Silent Boost for ~ 6 mo in an Antec 'quiet
case'.

A couple times I've stopped the fan on the Silent Boost to see how much
noise it was producing. Quite frankly, I couldn't tell the difference with
the fan running or stopped. I.e., it's pretty quiet.

I was going to add some silicone washers just for yuks, but found the fan
screws are not standard [at least not the same as the ones for my case fan].
Heads are smaller and the screws seem closer to sheet metal screws than to
machine screws. Net, not sure if you can replace the fan on the Silent
Boost.
"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message

> "We Live For The One We Die For The One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
> message news:uc1t80tfavi51vefr0jllnj8j1pejk4l2m@4ax.com...
>>
>> Just need a quiet cooler, and overclocking wont be done.
>>
>> The Vantec Aeroflow was said to be quiet, not for me, it hink it was
>> when i bought it but now seems much louder ands it codl here now still
>> stuck at 46c CPU, 21 Ambient.
>>
>> Any one recommend the Silent Boost would it be quieter than the Vantec
>> AeroFlow ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Dunno if it would be quieter. Maybe. But its not that good really. The
> heatsink itself is OK I think - it seems solid enough and its all copper
> with lots of fins. My guess is the fan is not too special.
>
> I replaced my Silent Boost with a Thermalright SLK-900A and a medium-speed
> Pabst fan. The new combo is quieter than the Silent Boost, and it knocked
> 6C off my CPU temps!!! Perhaps the Silent Boost heatsink with the Pabst
> fan
> would have done OK.
>
> The one thing the Silent Boost does have going for it is value. Its
> extremely good value considering the quality of the heatsink. My combo
> probably cost 3x the price.... for essentially the same thing.
>
> Chip.

SLP

"We Live For The One We Die For The One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
message news:uc1t80tfavi51vefr0jllnj8j1pejk4l2m@4ax.com...

> Just need a quiet cooler, and overclocking wont be done.
>
> The Vantec Aeroflow was said to be quiet, not for me, it hink it was
> when i bought it but now seems much louder ands it codl here now still
> stuck at 46c CPU, 21 Ambient.
>
> Any one recommend the Silent Boost would it be quieter than the Vantec
> AeroFlow ?
>
> Thanks.

See: http://tinyurl.com/3xeaa

SLP

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been running a Thermaltake Silent Boost for ~ 6 mo in an Antec 'quiet
> case'.
>
> A couple times I've stopped the fan on the Silent Boost to see how much
> noise it was producing. Quite frankly, I couldn't tell the difference
with
> the fan running or stopped. I.e., it's pretty quiet.

"Quiet" is such a relative term, isn't it. I guess it depends on how much
noise the rest of your PC is making. In my case, my Silent Boost was
*easily* the loudest thing in the PC. Turning the fan off made a huge
difference to the overall noise output for me. Maybe mine was faulty.

To be fair, my new Thermaltake SLK900 + Pabst fan combo is not *much* more
quiet. Marginally quieter, I would say. Its just seems ironic that a
product with "Silent" in its name should actually be louder than an
alternative with no "quiet" pretentions at all.

> I was going to add some silicone washers just for yuks, but found the fan
> screws are not standard [at least not the same as the ones for my case
fan].
> Heads are smaller and the screws seem closer to sheet metal screws than to
> machine screws. Net, not sure if you can replace the fan on the Silent
> Boost.

The fan is easily replaced, if you want to. You just need a normal 80mm fan
with standard mounting holes and it fits just fine. Leave the metal thing
on top, unscrew the four screws holding the Silent Boost fan, remove it and
replace it with your new (normal) fan. And screw the screws back in. It
fits perfectly: I know, because I tried it !

Chip.

Chip wrote:
> "Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've been running a Thermaltake Silent Boost for ~ 6 mo in an Antec
>> 'quiet case'.
>>
>> A couple times I've stopped the fan on the Silent Boost to see how
>> much noise it was producing. Quite frankly, I couldn't tell the
>> difference with the fan running or stopped. I.e., it's pretty quiet.
>
> "Quiet" is such a relative term, isn't it. I guess it depends on how
> much noise the rest of your PC is making. In my case, my Silent
> Boost was *easily* the loudest thing in the PC. Turning the fan off
> made a huge difference to the overall noise output for me. Maybe
> mine was faulty.

There's actually two versions of the K7 Silent Boost, one with a "hydro
wave" fan and one with a ball-bearing fan. The "hydro wave" one is
(supposedly) noticably quieter. At one point, I had two of these in my
system, and my WD800JB hard disk was more noticable than the Silent Boosts.

[...]

--
Michael Brown

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:
> > "Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I've been running a Thermaltake Silent Boost for ~ 6 mo in an Antec
> >> 'quiet case'.
> >>
> >> A couple times I've stopped the fan on the Silent Boost to see how
> >> much noise it was producing. Quite frankly, I couldn't tell the
> >> difference with the fan running or stopped. I.e., it's pretty quiet.
> >
> > "Quiet" is such a relative term, isn't it. I guess it depends on how
> > much noise the rest of your PC is making. In my case, my Silent
> > Boost was *easily* the loudest thing in the PC. Turning the fan off
> > made a huge difference to the overall noise output for me. Maybe
> > mine was faulty.
>
> There's actually two versions of the K7 Silent Boost, one with a "hydro
> wave" fan and one with a ball-bearing fan. The "hydro wave" one is
> (supposedly) noticably quieter. At one point, I had two of these in my
> system, and my WD800JB hard disk was more noticable than the Silent
Boosts.

I ordered the hydro wave fan version. But they look identical, don't they.
I wonder if in fact I had the noisier version?

In any event, the airflow from my fan was pretty low. I suspect thats why
the Silent Boost's cooling wasn't exactly stellar. Competant, but nothing
to write home about.

My personal recommendation now would be to buy a decent Thermaltake
heatsink - like the SLK900A and then put whatever fan on it you wish. I do
believe this is a better solution than the Silent Boost. For whatever noise
level you choose, I think you get better cooling this way.

But like I said before, this route is probably 3x the price of the Silent
Boost, so whether this is worth it is very much a personal thing.

Chip

> [...]
>
> --
> Michael Brown
> www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more :)
> Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz - My inbox is always open

A silent boost is just 40 bucks Australian so ill get one with the
hydrowave bearning thing.

You can never have to many CPu coolers :)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:25:18 +0100, "SLP"
<simon@panaczspambegone.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>"We Live For The One We Die For The One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> wrote in
>message news:uc1t80tfavi51vefr0jllnj8j1pejk4l2m@4ax.com...
>>
>> Just need a quiet cooler, and overclocking wont be done.
>>
>> The Vantec Aeroflow was said to be quiet, not for me, it hink it was
>> when i bought it but now seems much louder ands it codl here now still
>> stuck at 46c CPU, 21 Ambient.
>>
>> Any one recommend the Silent Boost would it be quieter than the Vantec
>> AeroFlow ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>See: http://tinyurl.com/3xeaa
>
>SLP

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoomung.co.nz> wrote in message
> Chip wrote:
> > "Michael Brown" <see@signature.below> wrote in message

> >> There's actually two versions of the K7 Silent Boost, one with a
> >> "hydro wave" fan and one with a ball-bearing fan. The "hydro wave"
> >> one is (supposedly) noticably quieter. At one point, I had two of
> >> these in my system, and my WD800JB hard disk was more noticable than
> >> the Silent Boosts.
> >
> > I ordered the hydro wave fan version. But they look identical, don't
> > they. I wonder if in fact I had the noisier version?
> >
> > In any event, the airflow from my fan was pretty low. I suspect
> > thats why the Silent Boost's cooling wasn't exactly stellar.
> > Competant, but nothing to write home about.
> >
> > My personal recommendation now would be to buy a decent Thermaltake
> > heatsink - like the SLK900A and then put whatever fan on it you wish.
> > I do believe this is a better solution than the Silent Boost. For
> > whatever noise level you choose, I think you get better cooling this
> > way.
> >
> > But like I said before, this route is probably 3x the price of the
> > Silent Boost, so whether this is worth it is very much a personal
> > thing.
>
> So far in this thread you've said 'ThermalRight' SLK900A once and
> 'ThermalTake' SLK900A twice. So which is it?
> --
> ~misfit~

Sorry misfit. I get confused. Its a Thermalright SLK900A. Thermaltake
don't make the SLK900A, so I hope you knew what I was on about.

Anyway, for the avoidance of doubt, I meant this one:

http://tinyurl.com/2c6bm

Its a very very good heatsink and its compatible with virtually all
motherboards, because it doesn't need the mounting holes around the CPU
socket.

Chip

> "Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've been running a Thermaltake Silent Boost for ~ 6 mo in an Antec
>> 'quiet
>> case'.
>>
>> A couple times I've stopped the fan on the Silent Boost to see how much
>> noise it was producing. Quite frankly, I couldn't tell the difference
> with
>> the fan running or stopped. I.e., it's pretty quiet.
>
> "Quiet" is such a relative term, isn't it. I guess it depends on how much
> noise the rest of your PC is making. In my case, my Silent Boost was
> *easily* the loudest thing in the PC. Turning the fan off made a huge
> difference to the overall noise output for me. Maybe mine was faulty.
>
> To be fair, my new Thermaltake SLK900 + Pabst fan combo is not *much* more
> quiet. Marginally quieter, I would say. Its just seems ironic that a
> product with "Silent" in its name should actually be louder than an
> alternative with no "quiet" pretentions at all.

Right. But, isn't the Silent Boost quieter than many cpu fans? [Silent
certainly it isn't. I've noticed Zalman does the same thing with
'Noiseless']

I think I'm going to try to SLK900 and Pabst fan. The Pabst fan I'm looking
at say 12 db for sound/noise and ~ 19 cfm. Is that the same one you're
using? I was wondering if the 19cfm was enough - of course, the
Thermalright heatsink could make up the difference.

Thanks

> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Frank Jelenko" <jelenko2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I've been running a Thermaltake Silent Boost for ~ 6 mo in an Antec
> >> 'quiet
> >> case'.
> >>
> >> A couple times I've stopped the fan on the Silent Boost to see how much
> >> noise it was producing. Quite frankly, I couldn't tell the difference
> > with
> >> the fan running or stopped. I.e., it's pretty quiet.
> >
> > "Quiet" is such a relative term, isn't it. I guess it depends on how
much
> > noise the rest of your PC is making. In my case, my Silent Boost was
> > *easily* the loudest thing in the PC. Turning the fan off made a huge
> > difference to the overall noise output for me. Maybe mine was faulty.
> >
> > To be fair, my new Thermaltake SLK900 + Pabst fan combo is not *much*
more
> > quiet. Marginally quieter, I would say. Its just seems ironic that a
> > product with "Silent" in its name should actually be louder than an
> > alternative with no "quiet" pretentions at all.
> >
> Right. But, isn't the Silent Boost quieter than many cpu fans? [Silent
> certainly it isn't. I've noticed Zalman does the same thing with
> 'Noiseless']
>
> I think I'm going to try to SLK900 and Pabst fan. The Pabst fan I'm
looking
> at say 12 db for sound/noise and ~ 19 cfm. Is that the same one you're
> using? I was wondering if the 19cfm was enough - of course, the
> Thermalright heatsink could make up the difference.
>
> Thanks

I am using the 34 cfm version, rated at 26 dBA. Even at 34 cfm, this is
marginally quiter than the Silent Boost. The 26 cfm/19 dBA version would be
*very* quiet. I doubt you'd even need to go for the 12dBA one. As to
whether the 19 cfm airflow of the 12dBA model is enough? Well it really
depends on what you want to do with your PC. I managed to run my old
XP3200+ at 11x133 MHz at 1.3v with no fan at all! The Prime95 load temps
were 46C when I did this. (This was with the SLK900A heatsink) But whether
19 cfm is enough for "normal" use, I don't know. If you only plan on
running at stock volts and speeds, then its probably OK.

Chip