Cloned disk won't work

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Having suffered 3 HDD failures, I have cloned my laptop hard drive (XP
Home edition) with Norton Ghost 9.0. I have copied the MBR as well and
made it active.
Replaced the laptop drive with the cloned drive, but it only boots up to
the XP light blue screen and stalls

Any ideas?

Some ideas:

1. Read your Ghost manual
2. Seek assistance with Ghost problems from Symantec

steve

"john" <SpamMe@senseless.com> wrote in message

> Having suffered 3 HDD failures, I have cloned my laptop hard drive (XP
> Home edition) with Norton Ghost 9.0. I have copied the MBR as well and
> made it active.
> Replaced the laptop drive with the cloned drive, but it only boots up to
> the XP light blue screen and stalls
>
> Any ideas?

You dont need 3rd party software to "clone" or mirror youre hd to
another,simply
set youre new drive as slave to the current drive C:.Format the new hd,then
go to run,type:XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r D: being the new drive,however
if asigned diffrent then substitite the letter.Also,agree to all in the DOS
window.

"john" wrote:

> Having suffered 3 HDD failures, I have cloned my laptop hard drive (XP
> Home edition) with Norton Ghost 9.0. I have copied the MBR as well and
> made it active.
> Replaced the laptop drive with the cloned drive, but it only boots up to
> the XP light blue screen and stalls
>
> Any ideas?

try a repair install

some support

"Og" <Og@msn.com> wrote in message
| Some ideas:
|
| 1. Read your Ghost manual
| 2. Seek assistance with Ghost problems from Symantec
|
| steve
|
| "john" <SpamMe@senseless.com> wrote in message
| >
| > Having suffered 3 HDD failures, I have cloned my laptop
hard drive (XP
| > Home edition) with Norton Ghost 9.0. I have copied the
MBR as well and
| > made it active.
| > Replaced the laptop drive with the cloned drive, but it
only boots up to
| > the XP light blue screen and stalls
| >
| > Any ideas?
| > --

anna

"john" <SpamMe@senseless.com> wrote in message

> Having suffered 3 HDD failures, I have cloned my laptop hard drive (XP
> Home edition) with Norton Ghost 9.0. I have copied the MBR as well and
> made it active.
> Replaced the laptop drive with the cloned drive, but it only boots up to
> the XP light blue screen and stalls
>
> Any ideas?

John:
Assuming we're not dealing here with defective hardware/software, there's no
reason you cannot create a perfectly good clone of your working HD using
Ghost 9.0.

We'll assume the following...
1. Your source disk is not defective and that there's no corruption of your
OS system files, i.e., you can boot to a Desktop with no problem(s).
2. The destination disk is similarly not defective.
3. The cloning process seemed to go OK with no error or strange messages
along the way.
4. Following the cloning process you correctly connected/configured the
cloned drive. And you're sure about that.

I assume you're correctly followed Ghost's instructions in cloning your
drive. What makes me uneasy is your statement that "I have copied the MBR as
well...". When you use a disk imaging program such as Ghost to clone a
drive, you do *not* *copy* the MBR. A clone is a clone is a clone.

So re:clone your drive. Don't mess with the "MBR" or anything else. Make
sure you install it correctly in your laptop. BTW, was your destination
drive in a USB/Firewire external HD enclosure during the cloning process?
What was your setup?
Anna

"john" <SpamMe@senseless.com> wrote:
> I have cloned my laptop hard drive (XP Home edition) with Norton
> Ghost 9.0. I have copied the MBR as well and made it active.
> Replaced the laptop drive with the cloned drive, but it only boots
> up to the XP light blue screen and stalls

It's not supposed to happen, but that particular symptom is not uncommon
when using a Windows program to make a clone or copy (see the third
paragraph of my webpage at www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm). If
that is really what's going on in your case, "Kawecki's Trick" at the bottom
of the page should fix it. (Note this only works if XP is supposed to be
drive C:).

If that is not what's going on in your case, then you'll need to answer
Anna's questions to fill in some of the gaps in exactly what you did. Ghost
is supposed to be smart enough to keep itself out of trouble, but it depends
on exactly how you used it.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

in ghost 9 when it drops out to dos there is a small check box "make drive
bootable" did you check this ?
--
there are no problems, just challenges