USB memory stick causes WinXP screen freeze

I have cross posted this message to windows.mediacentre (which I now think
was the wrong place !)

I have WinXP Pro with sp2. When I attach my Interno 1gb memory stick
(USB2.0) I was getting a screen freeze during which I got the sanddial, but
basically nothing happened until I unplugged my memory stick. As soon as I
unplugged it all went back to normal. I upgraded to from sp1 to sp2, and now
the problem is intermittent. The pc recognises the plugging in
of my memory stick, but I can't do anything. It just freezes up with the
sanddial running forever ! I am
plugging it in via a 4 port USB2.0 hub on which there is also an exernal
HDD. Can
anyone suggest what the problem is, please ?

thanks ... Roger

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I have cross posted this message to windows.mediacentre (which
> I now think
> was the wrong place !)
>
> I have WinXP Pro with sp2. When I attach my Interno 1gb memory
> stick
> (USB2.0) I was getting a screen freeze during which I got the
> sanddial, but
> basically nothing happened until I unplugged my memory stick.
> As soon as I
> unplugged it all went back to normal. I upgraded to from sp1
> to sp2, and now
> the problem is intermittent. The pc recognises the plugging in
> of my memory stick, but I can't do anything. It just freezes
> up with the
> sanddial running forever ! I am
> plugging it in via a 4 port USB2.0 hub on which there is also
> an exernal
> HDD. Can
> anyone suggest what the problem is, please ?
>
> thanks ... Roger

are your mouse and keyboard USB?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-USB-memory-stick-WinXP-screen-freeze-ftopict555211.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1764172

Sparda wrote:
> "" wrote:
>> I have cross posted this message to windows.mediacentre (which
>> I now think
>> was the wrong place !)
>>
>> I have WinXP Pro with sp2. When I attach my Interno 1gb memory
>> stick
>> (USB2.0) I was getting a screen freeze during which I got the
>> sanddial, but
>> basically nothing happened until I unplugged my memory stick.
>> As soon as I
>> unplugged it all went back to normal. I upgraded to from sp1
>> to sp2, and now
>> the problem is intermittent. The pc recognises the plugging in
>> of my memory stick, but I can't do anything. It just freezes
>> up with the
>> sanddial running forever ! I am
>> plugging it in via a 4 port USB2.0 hub on which there is also
>> an exernal
>> HDD. Can
>> anyone suggest what the problem is, please ?
>>
>> thanks ... Roger
>
> are your mouse and keyboard USB?

I've seen and tried (including swapping memory around) so many different
solutions to this problem that I suspect it is a deep fundamental flaw and
these anecdotal solutions are just luck of the draw.

My BSOD problem was "fixed" for several weeks. Last night I plugged in and
saw the BSOD again.
Flawless performance when I plug into the USB1 on board or into the USB2
after market card.
Plug into the 4 port USB2 hub connected to the USB2 card and boom.

My mouse and keyboard are USB connection with a cable. In our office we have
another PC, where the mouse and keyboard are wireless (although the receiver
is USB ... logitech) and the memory stick works perfectly !!

does that help ??

Roger