Monitor Problems...

Hi, I'm new to this forum as I usually try and solve problems one my own
but this one has me stumped...

I have recently managed to upload VHS to my PC at home and installed
programs to do so. I wanted to begin editing when the editing program
'Ulead Video Editing V.8' refused to start, claiming my screen
resolution was 'too low to play videos'. I then increased the
resolution on my 14" monitor, but to no avail, the same message
appeared. I therefore decided to get out a 17" monitor I had laying
around (wasn't used before due to space issues) and try that.

I plugged it in, but now there is NO DISPLAY until a green Windows XP
screen appears, only appearing in the middle of the screen with a
default blue boarder, and the system ceases to load.

In my wisdom I then decided to try and put the other monitor back on,
believing that there may have been a compatibility problem, but I now
have the same problem again.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark

--
new_horizon
1 answer Last reply

    new_horizon wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to this forum as I usually try and solve problems one my
    > own but this one has me stumped...
    >
    > I have recently managed to upload VHS to my PC at home and installed
    > programs to do so. I wanted to begin editing when the editing program
    > 'Ulead Video Editing V.8' refused to start, claiming my screen
    > resolution was 'too low to play videos'. I then increased the
    > resolution on my 14" monitor, but to no avail, the same message
    > appeared. I therefore decided to get out a 17" monitor I had laying
    > around (wasn't used before due to space issues) and try that.
    >
    > I plugged it in, but now there is NO DISPLAY until a green Windows XP
    > screen appears, only appearing in the middle of the screen with a
    > default blue boarder, and the system ceases to load.
    >
    > In my wisdom I then decided to try and put the other monitor back on,
    > believing that there may have been a compatibility problem, but I now
    > have the same problem again.

    Since you attached the computer to a different monitor and still had
    display problems, the issue is not with your monitor but probably with
    your video card. Swap it out for a known-working one. If you don't have
    an extra video card lying around, take the machine to a professional
    computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and
    have them test it for you.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --