Worth getting a barton 3200 instead of a Amd 64 3400 ?

I would like to go 64 bit but dont see the need now or even the the
medium future, no 64 bit OS well no XP one :)

Also no appications and or games that support it maybe afew but thats
it ?

> I would like to go 64 bit but dont see the need now or even the the
> medium future, no 64 bit OS well no XP one :)
>
> Also no appications and or games that support it maybe afew but thats
> it ?

FYI, the Athlon64 is much faster in 32bit proggies, not just 64bit(which
the barton can't do). Just depends if you want to pay the price for the
performance gain, as usual.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 03:33:37 +1000, We Live For The One We Die For The One
wrote:

> I would like to go 64 bit but dont see the need now or even the the
> medium future, no 64 bit OS well no XP one :)
>
> Also no appications and or games that support it maybe afew but thats
> it ?
Even in 32 bit mode, the Athlon64 2800+ is faster than the Athlon XP
3200+. So whether there's a 64 bit OS yet isn't even worth considering.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2038

"rstlne" wrote
> You know you started asking about what to buy back before the Bartons were
> out, and now your asking what to buy STILL

LOL!
ain't that the truth :p
--
Wayne ][

johny

Athlon 64 3200+ has 1MB L2 cache, and on die Memory Controller. Athlon XP
has none of these. If A64 beats Athlon XP in 32bit, imagine how it will
perform in 64 mode. Sooner or later 64bit version of windowsxp will be out.
Windows Longhorn will support 64bit as well.

"Wes Newell" <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 01 May 2004 03:33:37 +1000, We Live For The One We Die For The One
> wrote:
>

> > I would like to go 64 bit but dont see the need now or even the the
> > medium future, no 64 bit OS well no XP one :)
> >
> > Also no appications and or games that support it maybe afew but thats
> > it ?
> Even in 32 bit mode, the Athlon64 2800+ is faster than the Athlon XP
> 3200+. So whether there's a 64 bit OS yet isn't even worth considering.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2038

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"johny" <asdfae2@dfa.com> wrote in message
> Athlon 64 3200+ has 1MB L2 cache, and on die Memory Controller. Athlon XP
> has none of these. If A64 beats Athlon XP in 32bit, imagine how it will
> perform in 64 mode. Sooner or later 64bit version of windowsxp will be
out.
> Windows Longhorn will support 64bit as well.

You can download Window 64bit beta release candidate 2 for FREE from MS, on
a 1-year trial licence. By all accounts its completely stable too. Not bad
for free!

Chip