XP quit recognizing external Seagate Drive

I have been searching for weeks to fix this problem with no luck.

I have an external USB 300GB Seagate drive that used to work fine.
Then, periodically XP would not recognize when I turned it on. A
re-boot would fix the problem.

Now, XP won’t recongnize the drive at all. I get an "unknown device"
error. I have a USB 2.0 card I plug the drive into, and all other
devices in that card work fine. The device driver manager says all is
well, except of course with the "unknown device" it notes, which is
the external drive.

I have unloaded and reloaded all the drivers for the USB card, but no
good.

I have plugged the external drive into my laptop, and it worked fine,
so it’s not the drive.

I typically also get an error that a driver is not installed for this
device. XP is supposed to have the driver automatically installed.

I failed to mention above that when I removed all the drivers and
re-booted the computer to re-install them, XP found my drive, said it
was loading the drivers, etc.....then in a few seconds the icon for
the drive was gone and I was back to square one.

Please don’t tell me to go to "maintenance" in the control panel as
I can’t find anything like that in the control panel. I found another
thread with a similar problem that suggested that fix.

I am running SP1 as I have heard too many problems about SP2 so I
haven’t upgraded to SP2. That still wouldn’t tell me why XP has quit
recognizing the drive when it used to work just fine.

THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING! :evil:

............Bob

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-XP-quit-recognizing-external-Seagate-Drive-ftopict555035.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1763225

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"Hedodoc" wrote:
> I have been searching for weeks to fix this problem with no
> luck.
>
> I have an external USB 300GB Seagate drive that used to work
> fine. Then, periodically XP would not recognize when I turned
> it on. A re-boot would fix the problem.
>
> Now, XP won't recongnize the drive at all. I get an "unknown
> device" error. I have a USB 2.0 card I plug the drive into,
> and all other devices in that card work fine. The device
> driver manager says all is well, except of course with the
> "unknown device" it notes, which is the external drive.
>
> I have unloaded and reloaded all the drivers for the USB card,
> but no good.
>
> I have plugged the external drive into my laptop, and it
> worked fine, so it's not the drive.
>
> I typically also get an error that a driver is not installed
> for this device. XP is supposed to have the driver
> automatically installed.
>
> I failed to mention above that when I removed all the drivers
> and re-booted the computer to re-install them, XP found my
> drive, said it was loading the drivers, etc.....then in a few
> seconds the icon for the drive was gone and I was back to
> square one.
>
> Please don't tell me to go to "maintenance" in the control
> panel as I can't find anything like that in the control panel.
> I found another thread with a similar problem that suggested
> that fix.
>
> I am running SP1 as I have heard too many problems about SP2
> so I haven't upgraded to SP2. That still wouldn't tell me why
> XP has quit recognizing the drive when it used to work just
> fine.
>
> THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING! :evil:
>
> ............Bob

I congratualte you on your well informaed choice of not upgrading to
SP", in my opinon i know whats best for my computer, not microsoft.
Anyway, have you tried manualy installing the drive by opening deivce
manger and selecting "upgrade driver" and then when it asked you fir
files to consider for the driver, have you told it to use the drivers
on a CD you may have. Have you also tried unpluging all other deivices
while having the drive pluged in? Carn’t surgest any thing else right
now, give me some time, i’ll come up with a hair brained plan of
action. Some times they seem like total madness and then work, or seem
perfectly reasonable and fail horably :p

"Sparda" wrote:
> Anyway, have you tried manualy installing the drive by opening
deivce
>manger and selecting "upgrade driver" and then when it asked you
fir
>files to consider for the driver, have you told it to use the drivers
>on a CD you may have. Have you also tried unpluging all other
deivices
>while having the drive pluged in?

The CD rom I have from Seagate contains Window 98 drivers. The
Seagate web sight does not have any XP drivers, saying that XP has all
the drivers you need. Currently, the drive is the only USB device
plugged in.

Interesting, that my Dell computer has USB 1.1 (or is it 1.0) plugs
built in. I put a USB 2.0 board in it, which worked well for some
time. When I plug the Seagate drive into the 1.0 USB connection, I get
the error that a high speed device is plugged into a non-high speed
port. However, the external drive DOES work in the 1.0 USB plug, but
transfers data slowly.

I’m beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the USB 2.0
board, but all the drivers say everything is fine and all my other
devices work fine.

I have a habit of stopping as many programs running in the background
as I can to save memory. I fear I may have stopped some particular
device driver that usually loads with Windows, but now is stopped.
I’ve come across some devices that say are important for external USB
devices to work propertly, and re-started those, but still no luck.

Maybe it’s time for a new computer! (But I hate buying a new car just
because I have a flat!)

..............Bob

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"Hedodoc" wrote:

Anyway, have you tried manualy
> installing the drive by opening deivce manger and selecting
> "upgrade driver" and then when it asked you fir files to
> consider for the driver, have you told it to use the drivers
> on a CD you may have. Have you also tried unpluging all other
> deivices while having the drive pluged in?
>
> The CD rom I have from Seagate contains Window 98 drivers.
> The Seagate web sight does not have any XP drivers, saying
> that XP has all the drivers you need. Currently, the drive is
> the only USB device plugged in.
>
> Interesting, that my Dell computer has USB 1.1 (or is it 1.0)
> plugs built in. I put a USB 2.0 board in it, which worked well
> for some time. When I plug the Seagate drive into the 1.0 USB
> connection, I get the error that a high speed device is
> plugged into a non-high speed port. However, the external
> drive DOES work in the 1.0 USB plug, but transfers data
> slowly.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the
> USB 2.0 board, but all the drivers say everything is fine and
> all my other devices work fine.
>
> I have a habit of stopping as many programs running in the
> background as I can to save memory. I fear I may have stopped
> some particular device driver that usually loads with Windows,
> but now is stopped. I've come across some devices that say are
> important for external USB devices to work propertly, and
> re-started those, but still no luck.
>
> Maybe it's time for a new computer! (But I hate buying a new
> car just because I have a flat!)
>
> ..............Bob

well, i supose there is the posability that your motherboards USB
ports died, you could perhaps go the extravigance of buying a USB2 PCI
card:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=8783328613&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=32620
(all of £10 if you live in England) if that fails, then i guess you’ll
have to try repair install, and if that fails, clean install, if that
fixes it, then sell the USB card on ebay :D

When you open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers group in device manager,
do you see that everything is OK?. Do you see an entry for Standard Enhanced
PCI to USB Host Controller? This is your USB2 driver. If you have am ! mark
on any item, you have a problem.

Because you say that the drive works, but slowly, when connected to USB 1.1,
I am suspecting you don't have the USB 2.0 driver installed.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Hedodoc" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "Sparda" wrote:
>> Anyway, have you tried manualy installing the drive by opening
> deivce
>>manger and selecting "upgrade driver" and then when it asked you
> fir
>>files to consider for the driver, have you told it to use the drivers
>>on a CD you may have. Have you also tried unpluging all other
> deivices
>>while having the drive pluged in?
>
> The CD rom I have from Seagate contains Window 98 drivers. The
> Seagate web sight does not have any XP drivers, saying that XP has all
> the drivers you need. Currently, the drive is the only USB device
> plugged in.
>
> Interesting, that my Dell computer has USB 1.1 (or is it 1.0) plugs
> built in. I put a USB 2.0 board in it, which worked well for some
> time. When I plug the Seagate drive into the 1.0 USB connection, I get
> the error that a high speed device is plugged into a non-high speed
> port. However, the external drive DOES work in the 1.0 USB plug, but
> transfers data slowly.
>
> I'm beginning to wonder if there is something wrong with the USB 2.0
> board, but all the drivers say everything is fine and all my other
> devices work fine.
>
> I have a habit of stopping as many programs running in the background
> as I can to save memory. I fear I may have stopped some particular
> device driver that usually loads with Windows, but now is stopped.
> I've come across some devices that say are important for external USB
> devices to work propertly, and re-started those, but still no luck.
>
> Maybe it's time for a new computer! (But I hate buying a new car just
> because I have a flat!)
>
> .............Bob

>"]When you open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers group in device
>manager,
>do you see that everything is OK?. Do you see an entry for Standard
>Enhanced
>PCI to USB Host Controller? This is your USB2 driver. If you have am
!
>mark
>on any item, you have a problem.

I just checked Richard, and YES, I have the Standard Enhanced PCI to
USB Host Controller. When I click on it, it says it is working just
fine.

Suffice to say, I have something very strange going on.

When I turn the disc on, Windows still says it can’t recognize
it.....at times I can do something and Windows says the driver is not
installed.....weird since XP has the driver.

I am going to once again hook the drive up to another computer and
CONFIRM it works. I did this once before.......

I wonder if there is someone out there who know EVERY device driver
and program that MUST be running in order for external drives to work.

Like I said before, I have STOPPED some background programs from
running to save memory, and think I may have a problem there, even
though I have gone through them all and restarted those I had stopped.
I use a program called "taskpower" to do this.

Maybe I should switch to Linux?

8O

...........Bob

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-XP-quit-recognizing-external-Seagate-Drive-ftopict393907.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1303580

"Hedodoc" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> >"]When you open the Universal Serial Bus Controllers group in device
>>manager,
>>do you see that everything is OK?. Do you see an entry for Standard
>>Enhanced
>>PCI to USB Host Controller? This is your USB2 driver. If you have am
> !
>>mark
>>on any item, you have a problem.
>>

> I just checked Richard, and YES, I have the Standard Enhanced PCI to
> USB Host Controller. When I click on it, it says it is working just
> fine.
>
> Suffice to say, I have something very strange going on.
>
> When I turn the disc on, Windows still says it canâ?Tt recognize
> it.....at times I can do something and Windows says the driver is not
> installed.....weird since XP has the driver.
>
> I am going to once again hook the drive up to another computer and
> CONFIRM it works. I did this once before.......
>
> I wonder if there is someone out there who know EVERY device driver
> and program that MUST be running in order for external drives to work.
>

> Like I said before, I have STOPPED some background programs from
> running to save memory, and think I may have a problem there, even
> though I have gone through them all and restarted those I had stopped.
> I use a program called "taskpower" to do this.
>
> Maybe I should switch to Linux?

NO! Maybe you should stop turning off what you are not certain of. If you
can't get Windows running you don't stand a chance with Linux.

What I would do in your case is to perform a repair install. Then I would
reload any drivers that have defaulted to the Windows drivers. Then I would
get all Windows updates - again. And, I would NOT go turning off services
that have been turned back on by default!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

>"]
>
>NO! Maybe you should stop turning off what you are not certain of. If
>you
>can’t get Windows running you don’t stand a chance with
>Linux.

That was sort’a a joke, Richard. Nevertheless, your advice is
correct, and I am considering doin’ a "format" of my C: drive, and
re-installing XP.

That’s a pain, but might also correct the problem that my home
network no longer "sees" itself, strangley just stopping one day.

Are you SURE Linux ain’t better? :)

...........Bob (wonderin’ if he should call Dell!)

I am not saying Linux may not be better. I am saying that there is a huge
learning curve that one must climb. Then there is the FACT that Windows
programs that you may "need", not want, may not run on Linux.

I play around with Linux by using VMWare Workstation - just to learn it. But
I do all of my work from within Windows. To me (and it is only MY opinion)
Linux is for the advanced hobbyist, or maybe for a small company that has
support staff in place to help others over the speed humps.