Temp Low, Vcore high, no OCing possible?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2004 1:50:02 AM

Hi!

I´m trying to push my Duron 1600 on a ECS L7S7A2 a bit higher.
I did the Vcore Mod on the mobo, so I have 1,95.
The Computer will boot into WinXP with a 198 FSB, but wont stay stable
even at 150 FSB when under load. (The AGP/PCI are locked on this mobo,
so no OCing on these)

When running CPU Burn or Prime95 at 166FSB, the temperature wont go over
57 Celsius, but I get a lockup after 2-3 minutes.

This is weird, so if anyone has an idea of what is going wrong, please
post any comment.

Applebred 1600
ECS L7S7A2
256MB DDR 400 Infineon
Radeon 9500 646MB
PSU Zalman:
3,3 Volt -> 28 A
12 Volt -> 15 A
5 Volt -> 30 A

More about : temp low vcore high ocing

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2004 1:57:16 AM

Josef Varela wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I´m trying to push my Duron 1600 on a ECS L7S7A2 a bit higher.
> I did the Vcore Mod on the mobo, so I have 1,95.
> The Computer will boot into WinXP with a 198 FSB, but wont stay stable
> even at 150 FSB when under load. (The AGP/PCI are locked on this mobo,
> so no OCing on these)
>
> When running CPU Burn or Prime95 at 166FSB, the temperature wont go over
> 57 Celsius, but I get a lockup after 2-3 minutes.
>
> This is weird, so if anyone has an idea of what is going wrong, please
> post any comment.
>
> Applebred 1600
> ECS L7S7A2
> 256MB DDR 400 Infineon
> Radeon 9500 646MB
> PSU Zalman:
> 3,3 Volt -> 28 A
> 12 Volt -> 15 A
> 5 Volt -> 30 A

It's the memory, I'm surprised you can get it to boot. Try ddr333 it may
work better like that.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2004 3:59:26 AM

Sounds like you might have a bad CPU. You need to upgrade anyway, as the
Duron is old news.

"Josef Varela" <darkpepe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I´m trying to push my Duron 1600 on a ECS L7S7A2 a bit higher.
> I did the Vcore Mod on the mobo, so I have 1,95.
> The Computer will boot into WinXP with a 198 FSB, but wont stay stable
> even at 150 FSB when under load. (The AGP/PCI are locked on this mobo, so
> no OCing on these)
>
> When running CPU Burn or Prime95 at 166FSB, the temperature wont go over
> 57 Celsius, but I get a lockup after 2-3 minutes.
>
> This is weird, so if anyone has an idea of what is going wrong, please
> post any comment.
>

> Applebred 1600
> ECS L7S7A2
> 256MB DDR 400 Infineon
> Radeon 9500 646MB
> PSU Zalman:
> 3,3 Volt -> 28 A
> 12 Volt -> 15 A
> 5 Volt -> 30 A
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2004 10:24:13 AM

> It's the memory, I'm surprised you can get it to boot. Try ddr333 it may
> work better like that.

I just tried to underclock the memory as you suggested, but it didn´t work.

The Computer runs just fine with memory set to 200Mhz FSB, so the problem
must be elsewhere.

Someone suggested at a forum to set the AGP/PCI higher, but this didn´t
solve the problem either.

ANY more suggestions are welcome!
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2004 4:20:06 PM

Josef Varela wrote:

> > It's the memory, I'm surprised you can get it to boot. Try ddr333 it may
> > work better like that.
>
> I just tried to underclock the memory as you suggested, but it didn´t work.
>
> The Computer runs just fine with memory set to 200Mhz FSB, so the problem
> must be elsewhere.
>
> Someone suggested at a forum to set the AGP/PCI higher, but this didn´t
> solve the problem either.
>
> ANY more suggestions are welcome!

I had what was essentially the same problem. Underclocking the memory didn't
do any good for me either. I put a spare stick of cheap ddr266 in and all of my
problems disappeared. I thought trying slower memory might be the answer. My
board supported ddr400 and the processor was an Athlon 1600+ and it wouldn't
boot consistently and wouldn't do anything that was processor intensive. It's
now singing along merrily with ddr266 and the fsb set at 185 for the processor
and memory.

Roger
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2004 4:20:07 PM

>>> It's the memory, I'm surprised you can get it to boot. Try ddr333 it may
>>> work better like that.
>>
>> I just tried to underclock the memory as you suggested, but it didn´t work.
>>
>> The Computer runs just fine with memory set to 200Mhz FSB, so the problem
>> must be elsewhere.

> I had what was essentially the same problem. Underclocking the memory didn't
> do any good for me either. I put a spare stick of cheap ddr266 in and all of my
> problems disappeared. I thought trying slower memory might be the answer. My
> board supported ddr400 and the processor was an Athlon 1600+ and it wouldn't
> boot consistently and wouldn't do anything that was processor intensive. It's
> now singing along merrily with ddr266 and the fsb set at 185 for the processor
> and memory.

I can´t believe it, but you must be right!

Running the Prime95 torture test with Small FFTs (maximum FPU stress, date
fits in L2 cache, RAM no tested much) is absolute stable at 166FSB

Temp will rise up to 64° Celsius, but that should be ok.
It´s a pitty that real apps crash as well as the In-Place Large FFTs
torture test does.

As a matter of fact, the board is known to run unstable with 2 or more
PC3200 Ram sticks- what stays uncertain is why underclocking wont have the
same effect as using slow Ram.

What kind/brand is recommended with the L7S7A2?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2004 11:24:04 PM

"Wayne @ W." <not@listed.4u> wrote in message
> Sounds like you might have a bad CPU. You need to upgrade anyway, as the
> Duron is old news.

Not that old if he has the applebred
Good cheap starter system I think.. and it should be able to get past 2500+
speeds I would think
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2004 2:25:32 AM

>> Sounds like you might have a bad CPU. You need to upgrade anyway, as the
>> Duron is old news.

> Not that old if he has the applebred
> Good cheap starter system I think.. and it should be able to get past 2500+
> speeds I would think

It IS the applebred, and the poll on ocworkbench shows that this little
puppy should get as high as 2400 with no problems. 12*200FSB - no idea what
kind of P-Rating that would be
!