Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to ask how I am suppose to blow the inside components of my pc using
compressed air, because wouldn't the dust go in the pc even more when I blow
it? How am I suppose to blow it out? Blow behind the dust so the air would
repel and blow it out?

Is this a good method for ESD precautions (without a gounding strap):
- Not working on a carpet
- Not wearing footwear
- Working on a wooden table
- Touch the back of the computer before opening it
- Touch the Metal Case of the Power Supply (inside) frequently while the
computer is open
- Not moving on the floor too much

I'd do this at the basement, but it's hard enough to just get down there.

Malke

Dan wrote:

> I want to ask how I am suppose to blow the inside components of my pc
> using compressed air, because wouldn't the dust go in the pc even more
> when I blow
> it? How am I suppose to blow it out? Blow behind the dust so the air
> would repel and blow it out?
>

> Is this a good method for ESD precautions (without a gounding strap):
> - Not working on a carpet
> - Not wearing footwear
> - Working on a wooden table
> - Touch the back of the computer before opening it
> - Touch the Metal Case of the Power Supply (inside) frequently while
> the computer is open
> - Not moving on the floor too much
>
> I'd do this at the basement, but it's hard enough to just get down
> there.

I just take the computer outside, set it on a table, and carefully blow
out the dust bunnies using compressed air. Use short bursts of the air
so as not to create moisture. Make sure the computer is quite dry
before turning it on again!

Your precautions are fine. If you work on computers frequently, you
might want to buy a grounding mat. They aren't very expensive.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Touch the back of the computer before opening it
That's the best, sounds like your really concerned about ESD. It's not
as big a problem as you think, unless your a human lightning rod.
Label your wires or take a digital picture of the back of the
computer.
Let the computer cool down to ambient temps.
Take the computer out of the house. Put the extender tube on the can of
air.
Keep the end of the extender flush with the outside of the case. Blow!
It's that easy. Just don't turn the can of air upside down when using
it, that will force the liquid propellant out of the can, and on to
internal parts. (very cold in this state)
Before, you close the case look to see if everything looks normal.
(grin)
It's really not that hard to do, just a little intimidating the first
time.
Best,
Treeman

--
Treeman

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do I keep the end of the extender flush with the outside of the case?
The direction I'm facing from is the only direction that is open that is the
outside of the case.

"Treeman" wrote:

> Touch the back of the computer before opening it
> That's the best, sounds like your really concerned about ESD. It's not
> as big a problem as you think, unless your a human lightning rod.
> Label your wires or take a digital picture of the back of the
> computer.
> Let the computer cool down to ambient temps.
> Take the computer out of the house. Put the extender tube on the can of
> air.
> Keep the end of the extender flush with the outside of the case. Blow!
> It's that easy. Just don't turn the can of air upside down when using
> it, that will force the liquid propellant out of the can, and on to
> internal parts. (very cold in this state)
> Before, you close the case look to see if everything looks normal.
> (grin)
> It's really not that hard to do, just a little intimidating the first
> time.
> Best,
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

> Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do I keep the end of the extender flush with the outside of the case?
The direction I'm facing from is the only direction that is open that is the
outside of the case.

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I want to ask how I am suppose to blow the inside components
> of my pc using
> compressed air, because wouldn't the dust go in the pc even
> more when I blow
> it? How am I suppose to blow it out? Blow behind the dust so
> the air would
> repel and blow it out?
>

> Is this a good method for ESD precautions (without a gounding
> strap):
> - Not working on a carpet
> - Not wearing footwear
> - Working on a wooden table
> - Touch the back of the computer before opening it
> - Touch the Metal Case of the Power Supply (inside) frequently
> while the
> computer is open
> - Not moving on the floor too much
>
> I'd do this at the basement, but it's hard enough to just get
> down there.

Well, you dont have to worry about statici as long as you your self do
not touch any thingin the computer, the best method of removing dust
is to use a can of compresed air to blow it out, or electronic air
blower. once all the diust apears to be free from the compoants in th
case, use a vacume cleaner to remove it from the case, again dont
touch any thing with the vac, although it dose seem unlikly that you
will brake any thing by touching then with the vac hose, but take
care. And thats it, if you are worid about dust getting into your PC,
you should consider getting a dust filter for any air intake fans, or
(if like me) your too cheap to get one, just get a thing tishue and
fit that ofer the air intake hole :p

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Cleaning-ftopict555619.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765909

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Like I said, how do I keep the end of the extender with the outside of the
case? The cover is the only part that leads outside, and that's the direction
I'm facing from; therefore I'll be blowing the dust at myself. The front and
the other sides are enclosed. How am I suppose to blow the dust out? Do I
blow the wall behind the dust so the air would repel and blow the dust out?

Air -> ||
// ||
..................<<< ||
Dust \
Air Repelled off the surface, blowing the dust that
direction

Does this make sense?

"Sparda" wrote:

> "" wrote:
> > I want to ask how I am suppose to blow the inside components
> > of my pc using
> > compressed air, because wouldn't the dust go in the pc even
> > more when I blow
> > it? How am I suppose to blow it out? Blow behind the dust so
> > the air would
> > repel and blow it out?
> >

> > Is this a good method for ESD precautions (without a gounding
> > strap):
> > - Not working on a carpet
> > - Not wearing footwear
> > - Working on a wooden table
> > - Touch the back of the computer before opening it
> > - Touch the Metal Case of the Power Supply (inside) frequently
> > while the
> > computer is open
> > - Not moving on the floor too much
> >
> > I'd do this at the basement, but it's hard enough to just get
> > down there.
>
> Well, you dont have to worry about statici as long as you your self do
> not touch any thingin the computer, the best method of removing dust
> is to use a can of compresed air to blow it out, or electronic air
> blower. once all the diust apears to be free from the compoants in th
> case, use a vacume cleaner to remove it from the case, again dont
> touch any thing with the vac, although it dose seem unlikly that you
> will brake any thing by touching then with the vac hose, but take
> care. And thats it, if you are worid about dust getting into your PC,
> you should consider getting a dust filter for any air intake fans, or
> (if like me) your too cheap to get one, just get a thing tishue and
> fit that ofer the air intake hole :p

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Cleaning-ftopict555619.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765909

Jim

Dude, your kidding right? Wear some old cloths. Your not going to melt if
you get a few ounces (if that) of dust on yourself.

> [...]
>> case, use a vacume cleaner to remove it from the case, again dont
>> touch any thing with the vac, although it dose seem unlikly that you
>> will brake any thing by touching then with the vac hose, but take
>> care. And thats it, if you are worid about dust getting into your PC,
>> you should consider getting a dust filter for any air intake fans, or
>> (if like me) your too cheap to get one, just get a thing tishue and
>> fit that ofer the air intake hole :p
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
>> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Cleaning-ftopict555619.html
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

// ||
..................<<< ||
Dust \
Air Repelled off the surface, blowing the dust that

So you're saying I'm right about this diagram and this is how I'm suppose to
blow the dust out?

"Jim" wrote:

> Dude, your kidding right? Wear some old cloths. Your not going to melt if
> you get a few ounces (if that) of dust on yourself.
>
> "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Like I said, how do I keep the end of the extender with the outside of the
> > case? The cover is the only part that leads outside, and that's the
> > direction
> > I'm facing from; therefore I'll be blowing the dust at myself. The front
> > and
> > the other sides are enclosed. How am I suppose to blow the dust out? Do I
> > blow the wall behind the dust so the air would repel and blow the dust
> > out?
> >

> > Air -> ||
> > // ||
> > .................<<< ||
> > Dust \
> > Air Repelled off the surface, blowing the dust that
> > direction
> >
> > Does this make sense?

> >> Well, you dont have to worry about statici as long as you your self do
> >> not touch any thingin the computer, the best method of removing dust
> >> is to use a can of compresed air to blow it out, or electronic air
> >> blower. once all the diust apears to be free from the compoants in th
> >> case, use a vacume cleaner to remove it from the case, again dont
> >> touch any thing with the vac, although it dose seem unlikly that you
> >> will brake any thing by touching then with the vac hose, but take
> >> care. And thats it, if you are worid about dust getting into your PC,
> >> you should consider getting a dust filter for any air intake fans, or
> >> (if like me) your too cheap to get one, just get a thing tishue and
> >> fit that ofer the air intake hole :p
> >>
> >> --
> >> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> >> request
> >> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> >> Topic URL:
> >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardware-Cleaning-ftopict555619.html
> >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> >> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1765909

Jim

Sure. Check this out too, it looks like you need it.
http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/35584837.html

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:45:08 -0700, Dan wrote:

> Like I said, how do I keep the end of the extender with the outside of the
> case?

Dan, did you miss the part in the instructions from others about removing
the side cover of the case? With the side open, the extender is an aid to
moving out the dust and not an additional problem.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So I move the dust out by blowing it indirectly.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 05:58:09 -0700, Dan wrote:

> So I move the dust out by blowing it indirectly.

Dan, I think once you get the case open, you'll figure it out. The hardest
part is taking the cover off, positioning the case so that you can use that
side access and then putting everything back together when you're done. I
unplug everything from the tower (your system is a desktop system and not a
laptop, correct?) before disassembling.

Blowing out the dust is the easy part. I'm confident that you'll figure it
out once you're set and ready to go. As someone else said about spraying
compressed air, use short bursts. If you spray for too long and some
moisture does escape, allow some time for it to air dry. TIP: I usually
grab an old soft clean toothbrush and a few q-tips to use along with the
compressed air.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Jim

Hey Dan, this is what you should do. Take your computer, monitor and all,
put it in the car and take it back to whomever you bought it from. When they
ask you what the problem is tell them that your to fu*king stupid to own a
computer, could you please have your money back.

> So I move the dust out by blowing it indirectly.
>

> "Sharon F" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:45:08 -0700, Dan wrote:
>>
>> > Like I said, how do I keep the end of the extender with the outside of
>> > the
>> > case?
>>
>> Dan, did you miss the part in the instructions from others about removing
>> the side cover of the case? With the side open, the extender is an aid to
>> moving out the dust and not an additional problem.
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS